Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

City's disallowed goal

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

If they're consistent with the rule I'm fine with it. You'll get some that go for you and some against. If theyr'e adamant that if VAR shows that any goalscoring part of you is off the goal will be disallowed then they have done their job correctly today

I struggle with today as, and it could well be me as a neutral (well arsenal fan so perhaps not so much) said he was clearly off on the freeze frame, I can’t see how he’s offside.

I thought he was off, like his upper torso under his arm. I suppose we have to trust the technology as it appears it's here to stay. We can't have it both ways though, if we have one chalked off in similar circumstances we can't complain

Edited by foxfanazer

57 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

If it ever was a goak correctly ruled out by VAR, then it was this one.

Perez was already offside by a mile as the ball came back to him. Clear advantage and nothing to moan about.

Can't believe you posted this one, especially today where Spurs had one disallowed for a couple of mm.

A couple of mm can make all the difference. 

14 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I thought he was off, like his upper torso under his arm. I suppose we have to trust the technology as it appears it's here to stay. We can't have it both ways though, if we have one chalked off in similar circumstances we can't complain

Yeah I presume he must be just to my eye he looks level. 

I know now what your saying but I’m not sure I like it even if it’s consistent. Folk doing a pixel level analysis on offsides doesn’t really sit well with me but it is what it is.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

Delle Alli scored against us while a yard offside last year, and BT sport, bbc, Jena's hoddle crooks and pals didn't have a word to say about that, so forgive me for playing the world's tiniest violin for how "unfair" this decision is on Tottenham pissing hotspur, who lest we forget, were all in favour of 1mm offsides when it got that champions League aguero goal chalked off.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What baffles me most is the enormous, sheer, gargantuan volume of people that think a goal should stand if its only a cm or an inch or whatever offside. 

No. 

Offside is offside, it doesn't matter what the margin is, there has to be a cut off somewhere. The law got changed from daylight years ago. 

Precisely!

Said as much here pretty much
https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/120175-the-var-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5272551

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

What baffles me most is the enormous, sheer, gargantuan volume of people that think a goal should stand if its only a cm or an inch or whatever offside. 

No. 

Offside is offside, it doesn't matter what the margin is, there has to be a cut off somewhere. The law got changed from daylight years ago. 

I wish it would go back to daylight. Surely clearer to see on the freeze frame both for officials and viewers.  However, that doesn't alter the fact that the margin could still be just as small as that today - the rule chooses a line and that's what you have to go by, no matter how small.

It's rather like the freeze frames for sprinters breasting the tape.  It has worked well there for years and been accepted that the margins may be infinitessimaly narrow.

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

No. 

THIS !

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

ROFL, we won and people are still bltching about a correctly disallowed goal.

THIS THIS THIS !!!

I don’t understand why there’s so much chat about our disallowed goal. Perez and others are at least a yard offside, giving him a clear advantage to score/almost score. The only thing that baffles me about it is that no Spurs players appealed! Couldn’t see from the other end why it had been ruled out, but the replay is clear as day. 

• Like 1

You know how some refs award a controversial goal or card only to even things up with another controversial decision for the other team.

Could this have happened with VAR yesterday as it still comes down to human decision.

Or was it just common sense totally abandoned because there was half a toe offside?

So... I'd assumed our offside was for when the shot first went in, as Evans was clearly offside and clearly obstructing their goaly's line of sight. Certainly that's the part of the move they seemed to concentrate on in the BT coverage I saw. 

Edited by turtmcfly
it was Evans initially in the way, not Perez

23 minutes ago, Royston. said:

You know how some refs award a controversial goal or card only to even things up with another controversial decision for the other team.

Could this have happened with VAR yesterday as it still comes down to human decision.

Or was it just common sense totally abandoned because there was half a toe offside?

It comes down to a human decision as to whether the red line is to the right of the blue line in the picture below. 

Why the f*** is this so difficult? This conversation wouldn't be happening if a similar incident occurred and goal line technology clearly showed the ball had crossed the line. 

NINTCHDBPICT000523949457.jpg?strip=all&w

• Like 1

I think the authorities should bin off-side altogether and introduce ‘Rush Goalies’ and Field Goals so that Wilf can have a chance at claiming the golden boot.

We won 2-1 - end off.

Guest bennytwohats
16 hours ago, Finnegan said:

No. 

I think this is missing the point that the technology can’t be used to accurately rule offside to within a Cm or an inch - if it could then fine, but the ‘offside’ picture that is floating round is clearly spuriously accurate. To me they’re level and you give the benefit of doubt to the attacking player in that situation, their goal should have stood imo.

I fully agree that offside is offside and if we have a reliable system that can get these decisions correct then I'm ok with it. 

I've literally no idea about those red and blue lines for Spurs goal, I've looked at it loads and I'm not clever enough to understand that he is off but sometimes goal line technology rules that a ball has crossed the line by a matter of millimeters and it looks too close to call from the human eye even in freeze frame. We accept this now as its seemingly black and white. I just hope we could develop a system that does this for off side but it's far less straight forward as there's multiple parts to consider.

22 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I think this is missing the point that the technology can’t be used to accurately rule offside to within a Cm or an inch - if it could then fine, but the ‘offside’ picture that is floating round is clearly spuriously accurate. To me they’re level and you give the benefit of doubt to the attacking player in that situation, their goal should have stood imo.

How do you know this tho?