Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Maddison

5 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

A fine article from that American site that doesn’t know the first thing about football: 

https://theathletic.co.uk/1231503/2019/09/26/james-maddison-theres-a-fine-line-between-confidence-and-arrogance/

Most of this particular American site’s LCFC articles are written by Rob Tanner, at a level of insight far above most of the British press IMO.  And most of its PL and EFL coverage is by seasoned UK journos.  Perhaps you prefer the coverage in the Sun?

Truly a clueless dismissal.

Just now, KingsX said:

Most of this particular American site’s LCFC articles are written by Rob Tanner, at a level of insight far above most of the British press IMO.  And most of its PL and EFL coverage is by seasoned UK journos.  Perhaps you prefer the coverage in the Sun?

Truly a clueless dismissal.

Perhaps you missed the post from a few months ago that said it was going to be garbage. I know exactly what it is. 

10 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

Why wasn’t Tanner’s writing this good for the Mercury?

The mercury are all about the clicks and getting people to scroll to the bottom of the page and get advertised to some more. Any writer there has to make copy with that in mind.

At the Athletic he has the time and creative freedom to write about what he wants how he wants. Must be loving life.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

Perhaps you missed the post from a few months ago that said it was going to be garbage. I know exactly what it is. 

I may well have missed a particular post on here.  What I haven't missed is the articles in the Athletic; I read a dozen or more each week.  I am pretty sure which of those sources of information allows an informed judgment as to whether it is "garbage".

I prefer its deep analysis and behind-the-scenes coverage, to recycled rumors and tweets plus clickbait.  Just me I guess!

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

I may well have missed a particular post on here.  What I haven't missed is the articles in the Athletic; I read a dozen or more each week.  I am pretty sure which of those sources of information allows an informed judgment as to whether it is "garbage".

I prefer its deep analysis and behind-the-scenes coverage, to recycled rumors and tweets plus clickbait.  Just me I guess!

If that's the standard at the Atlantic then its time to go take a look. That was absolute quality.

The section about his decision making and on the field play is gold. Felt like I was there.

Went and had a look around. Very nice and clean. Totally different then what we sampled here in the summer. That was horrible.

Edited by SO1

3 hours ago, KingsX said:

My original post was sarcasm as a general response to the consensus in that thread that it is an American site and therefore automatically terrible at reporting on football. I love their articles but I've known about them for a while.

Edited by Wizerud

11 hours ago, Wizerud said:

My original post was sarcasm as a general response to the consensus in that thread that it is an American site and therefore automatically terrible at reporting on football. I love their articles but I've known about them for a while.

Apology where due. 

I have a hard time with posts about (a) blanket American ignorance of football or (b) American influence taking over and destroying it.  They are not common, TBF, but when patronizing can set me off.  Goes with the territory I guess.  I should suppress the urge to fight my corner.

Thanks for explaining.  Back to Maddison.  May not be long until the discussion moves from backpacks into sell or don’t sell and for how much.

On 21/09/2019 at 21:43, Izzy said:

Six and a half grand for a see through plastic bag.

Bargain :thumbup:

PR to Agent: "If you get your player to wear this / carry that, and get it photographed, he can have it free of charge plus a few quid for your troubles."

This stuff happens a lot.

On 21/09/2019 at 21:30, Spudulike said:

Sitting in the car pre-match and the Talk Sport reporter announces that Maddison had another chance to audition today.

Jeez, this is going to get worse than the Maguire saga.

May well have been Sam Matterface on TS and he may well have been referring to JM impressing the watching Gareth Southgate rather than "auditioning" for a move to a bigger club.

• Thanks 1

I find it funny how people are over doing this Athletic site. It almost seems like they're desperately trying to justify their subscription and it's become the "cool" thing to come on here and mention how it's changed their life!

A post above mentions they've read it and it was like they were there on the pitch with Maddison?!  😃

We get it, the sites better than what the Mercury had to offer but it's only words and these people are no more expert than a season ticket holder with half a brain FFS! 

6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I find it funny how people are over doing this Athletic site. It almost seems like they're desperately trying to justify their subscription and it's become the "cool" thing to come on here and mention how it's changed their life!

A post above mentions they've read it and it was like they were there on the pitch with Maddison?!  😃

We get it, the sites better than what the Mercury had to offer but it's only words and these people are no more expert than a season ticket holder with half a brain FFS! 

Season ticket holder with half a brain?  Haven’t met many of those. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Pinch of salt time:

if this is true we will end up paying extra for him to agree to stay only for his agent to to agitate for a move next summer.  The best thing to do is to offer to put the extra funds into escrow and he can have it when he gets to the end of the contract  or signs a new one.

(this will stop him blowing it all on back packs)

6 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

if this is true we will end up paying extra for him to agree to stay only for his agent to to agitate for a move next summer.  The best thing to do is to offer to put the extra funds into escrow and he can have it when he gets to the end of the contract  or signs a new one.

(this will stop him blowing it all on back packs)

As per harry, the amount you can demand for a player is related to their salary and their length of contract.  there was an issue with maguire - when he arrived he was full of ambition to become our captain and settle in the area ………. then he got into the England set up and the ideas of captaincy (perhaps he realised he wasn't going to get ahead of kasper ) disappeared, as did the idea of moving to the local area  (I guess travelling from Sheffield to Manchester is pretty straightforward apart from the odd few days each winter).

the club will have made his agent well aware of our plans and whether we are prepared to sanction a sale next summer …..

7 hours ago, Collymore said:

What's the problem? Afraid to have an adult conversation about Out of Body Experience or OBE :twitch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-body_experience