Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Maddison

12 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

if this is true we will end up paying extra for him to agree to stay only for his agent to to agitate for a move next summer.  The best thing to do is to offer to put the extra funds into escrow and he can have it when he gets to the end of the contract  or signs a new one.

(this will stop him blowing it all on back packs)

I just love the thought of an agent patiently explaining to any player that the wage increase will be put into 'escrow' 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

As per harry, the amount you can demand for a player is related to their salary and their length of contract.  there was an issue with maguire - when he arrived he was full of ambition to become our captain and settle in the area ………. then he got into the England set up and the ideas of captaincy (perhaps he realised he wasn't going to get ahead of kasper ) disappeared, as did the idea of moving to the local area  (I guess travelling from Sheffield to Manchester is pretty straightforward apart from the odd few days each winter).

the club will have made his agent well aware of our plans and whether we are prepared to sanction a sale next summer …..

International football sadly is a tapping up haven, especially England, whenever one of our players becomes a regular the risk of losing the player sky rockets.

Is Maddison living in the area? this contract bump does have the warning signs of a means to bump his transfer fee.

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

As per harry, the amount you can demand for a player is related to their salary and their length of contract.  there was an issue with maguire - when he arrived he was full of ambition to become our captain and settle in the area ………. then he got into the England set up and the ideas of captaincy (perhaps he realised he wasn't going to get ahead of kasper ) disappeared, as did the idea of moving to the local area  (I guess travelling from Sheffield to Manchester is pretty straightforward apart from the odd few days each winter).

the club will have made his agent well aware of our plans and whether we are prepared to sanction a sale next summer …..

I don't understand what a player's salary has to with the amount you can ask for that player.

Surely it's down to what you can afford to turn down, how many clubs are interested and how much they want him. 

16 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I don't understand what a player's salary has to with the amount you can ask for that player.

Surely it's down to what you can afford to turn down, how many clubs are interested and how much they want him. 

Its about perceived value. the staff you want to keep and value the most you pay the highest wages to. The more you show competitors how much value you place on them the more likely they are to meet your price if they are serious about signing them and you price out those that can't (or wont) afford them. Obviously, on the flip side, if someone is already on a good wage the less likely they are going to be tempted away in the first place.

3 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Because in order to buy the player, you'll often have to buy out the remainder of their contract - the more that is worth, the higher the base cost of the player.  Simples.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7529787/Manchester-United-continue-track-Leicester-Citys-James-Maddison-ahead-potential-80m-move.html

There is a glaringly obvious error in this article. Man Utd are not a 'top club' any more. Liverpool, Man City are, but Utd aren't. Also £80m?! More like £100m+ for one of the most creative English players in the league. Maddison would be mad to go there. 

Also, doesn't this show that Man Utd don't have a clue in regards to scouting? Shouldn't they be finding these players first so they don't have to pay through the nose for them? It's a weak club in a right mess and it's showing on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7529787/Manchester-United-continue-track-Leicester-Citys-James-Maddison-ahead-potential-80m-move.html

There is a glaringly obvious error in this article. Man Utd are not a 'top club' any more. Liverpool, Man City are, but Utd aren't. Also £80m?! More like £100m+ for one of the most creative English players in the league. Maddison would be mad to go there. 

Also, doesn't this show that Man Utd don't have a clue in regards to scouting? Shouldn't they be finding these players first so they don't have to pay through the nose for them? It's a weak club in a right mess and it's showing on and off the pitch. 

Man united were a top club when they got relegated In the seventies ..........the fact that they dont need to scout as you suggest and can pay £100m if they need to tells you all you need to know about their size and their standing. They won’t ever not be a ‘top club’ imo. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The problem for footballers is that there is a conflict of interest for the agent - i.e. the agent wants to maximize the income (fees and wages) over the career... while the player might have ambitions or preferences. I think most players need a life coach to given them council about how any move might help their career and their satisfaction rather then just maximizing ££.  The agent isn't objective (-- I am sure they say they are...)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

It has little to do with it, if anything at all. Their quality, how much the buyer wants them, how many interested parties there are, how much the seller needs or doesn’t need money, the will of the player themselves etc are more likely to dictate cost.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

before he retires - we will finish above man utd more times than not.

Sorry, but as much as I love the fact that we seem a better side right now, there is no way we are finishing above united more than 50 percent of the time over the next decade or so.  Once or twice perhaps, nothing more.

You gotta see it that a poor season for United is still a reasonably good one for us if we finished where they were to. 

The only way we get on a more level playing field than the bigger boys is if we expand the stadium, get 10k more in each game and then we will have more clout longer term.

17 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Sorry, but as much as I love the fact that we seem a better side right now, there is no way we are finishing above united more than 50 percent of the time over the next decade or so.  Once or twice perhaps, nothing more.

You gotta see it that a poor season for United is still a reasonably good one for us if we finished where they were to. 

The only way we get on a more level playing field than the bigger boys is if we expand the stadium, get 10k more in each game and then we will have more clout longer term.

My optimism is based on my form belief that we will be a top 4 team.  Utd wont be top 4 in next 5 seasons. 

10000 more seats will bring in maybe 4 million per year.. whike we get 100m from pl tv abd a similar ammount from champions league when we get there. 

The tipping point is perhaps establishing a cl spot in consecutive seasons to bring in money and to convince players to stay and to come

Extra seats would be nice... but wont make any diffetence to our destiny

Edited by foxinsocks

Guest An Sionnach

Man Utd success has always been based on two men Busby and Ferguson , under any other managers it has been pretty moderate . They cannot buy success , if they are ever going to be a top club again they are going to need the right manager , but who?

According to various press, man u are going buy every top player in the NEXT transfer window.

What the articles fail to state is the fact it is subject to the player wanting to go to a struggling club, the players club actually want to sell, and Man city/Liverpool/Chelsea are not interested.

But the omission oft these 3 relevant facts, gets the clicks, and sells the papers.

On 03/10/2019 at 08:30, HighPeakFox said:

I met a fellow Fox in Tideswell yesterday (we're massive etc), and he was saying he didn't like Maddison, as he's 'too selfish'.

I realise that everyone is entitled to a point of view, but I do sometimes wonder what people do with their eyes and brains...

...support Boris? 

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2019 at 01:37, fox_favourite said:

Man United last season posted their biggest revenue ever.

On 03/10/2019 at 14:30, HighPeakFox said:

I met a fellow Fox in Tideswell yesterday (we're massive etc), and he was saying he didn't like Maddison, as he's 'too selfish'.

I realise that everyone is entitled to a point of view, but I do sometimes wonder what people do with their eyes and brains...

many said this about Mahrez also but when you have the ability to change a game with one kick i say be selfish. 

• 5 weeks later...