Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"if I offered you 5th right now, would you take it?"

5 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

We've been in three QF in the last couple of seasons.

You’re right but to get to the QF of the league cup you have to win 3 games, it’s really not much of a run.

Our record in Quarter Finals is really awful, we’ve not been to a semi in any competition for 18 years - we’ve lost something like 9 Quarter Finals in a row now. Time to change that.

12 hours ago, ttfn said:

You’re right but to get to the QF of the league cup you have to win 3 games, it’s really not much of a run.

Our record in Quarter Finals is really awful, we’ve not been to a semi in any competition for 18 years - we’ve lost something like 9 Quarter Finals in a row now. Time to change that.

Surely you'd want us to either win a cup or at least get to the final. A semi is only one round further than the QF's. It just sounds a weird ambition to get to a semi and calling it a proper cup run. Let's just win the FA Cup, then i'm happy with finishing 17th.

14 hours ago, hackneyfoxx said:

Europa League sscrewed up Burnley and Wolves - Thursday night travelling etc - so Top 4 or bust...

But if we finish 5th, we wouldn't need to play 3 rounds of qualifying in July/August and actually get a proper pre-season.

And as someone else has said, we have a much deeper squad to utilise. Certainly better than Burnley's and still better than Wolves'.

14 hours ago, hackneyfoxx said:

Europa League sscrewed up Burnley and Wolves - Thursday night travelling etc - so Top 4 or bust...

So the Champions League wouldn't have the same affect? lol 

In 16/17 when we were in the CL, at the end of the group stages we were on 16 points from 16 games and in 14th place. I find it hilarious that people think that somehow the group stage of the Europa League would murder our season but the group stage of the Champions league would be fine lol 

• Like 2

On 29/09/2019 at 12:41, Facecloth said:

Dare to dream. No doubt some would have taken 2nd or 3rd when we were topping the table at this point 4 years ago. I'd turn down 5th to go for top 4, even if we end up 7th.

No such thing as the right answer but that's the right answer

On 29/09/2019 at 12:42, foxfanazer said:

Yes. That would represent massive progression for the club. You'd have to throw in one of the cups as a sweetener though lol

Haha if it's the FA Cup and 5th then you gotta take it but that's not the question

1 hour ago, gerrytaggart said:

😮😥

3rd is 1st this year with how far ahead Man City and Red Scousers are from the rest. When we won the title no teams were of that standard.

Finishing 3rd would be an incredible achievement and 4th brilliant as it gets us in Champions League.

5th - good but we have the chance to do better since the other 'top 6' are not that much better if at all than us, maybe Spurs aside. And they have the collective backbones of a jellyfish!

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Haha 1

I dont think i would given the reward for finishing 5th is not much different to finishing 6th and the two cup competitions are a route into the europa league as well.

But being well placed in the league to attack the top 4 id really go for it and if we did wed probably finish 5th anyway

I’m overly optimistic about our season already, so I ought to temper myself and say I’d take the offer.

I would be unsatisfied, though. 5th place is a Europa League birth. So is 7th. 7th is completely within reach as it is now - 5th is not *that* far-flung - why shouldn’t we dream big?