Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"if I offered you 5th right now, would you take it?"

After 50 odd years of supporting City, as the season starts all I want is us to get to 40 points.

Once we're past that I can relax, and then it's all about getting to the best we can.

I've seen too many decent times go to pot due to pisspoor management. We're always one manager away from that, although with our current owners we've seen they are not afraid to act quickly if required.

Having said all that, I really think this season is on for top 4, mainly because everyone apart from Man City & Liverpool are very beatable and the usual contenders are all in turmoil or transitional periods.

So, going back to the question, I would not take 5th if offered now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casablancas said:

That’s a little knee jerk no? 

And no no I wouldn’t. I think we have a real chance this year to really push on and give the ‘big 4’ something to really worry about. We are in such a good place. 

Absolutely not. Look at the quality of our squad in comparison to the rest of the league. I cannot believe anybody would accept anything near as low as 8th to be honest, because the owners certainly wouldn't, particularly given the start we've made. 

I think this is the best season to try our luck to get into the top 4. More importantly, our best players keep getting snatched each year, so we will go back down to a mid to lower table team unless we can keep hold of our players because we become a “big” club with ambition. So we have to try no matter what and even if we fail we will end up being in the same spot if we dont try and accept Top 5 - ie. mid to lower table in a few years.  With Rodgers this season and Vardy still firing on all cylinders, we cannot not have the ambition of breaking through into Top 4. Otherwise, like the discussions going on in other threads, the likes of Ndidi, Chilwell, Maddison wont be with us for long.

We *could* get third place this season.

However, it's unlikely we'll have a largely flawless season and it's unlikely the other 'big' sides will struggle all the way through.

Let's flip the question around, if we finished fifth in May, would you actually be really disappointed?

If we finished fifth, it would be (I think) the fourth or fifth best finish in our entire history.

I'd take it now.

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We *could* get third place this season.

However, it's unlikely we'll have a largely flawless season and it's unlikely the other 'big' sides will struggle all the way through.

Let's flip the question around, if we finished fifth in May, would you actually be really disappointed?

If we finished fifth, it would be (I think) the fourth or fifth best finish in our entire history.

I'd take it now.

People are getting a bit carried away thinking that Top 4 is a given for us this year. We have had a good start and seen good signs, but there are 31 games left to play. We can all dream of getting Top 4 but we are by no means expected to finish there. We need to keep playing consistently well and hope we have a good slice of luck.

Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are all more than capable of stringing a good run together. Man U you can forget. Then there are West Ham who might also want to push in.

As you say, 5th would be a very good finish and better than gambling on an unlikely Top 4 finish.

However, there are no guarantees and that is the beauty of football. Bring on the next 7 and a half months.

As much as anything else it’s exciting that we’re in a position that we can speculate about finishing 5th or higher not just for the kudos of a good league finish but it indicates that we’ve got a cracking chance at the cups.

I know there was another thread on this the other day but I think 10th place and a League Cup win would be a great season.

Even 10th and a couple of semi finals would be good, we’ve not had a proper cup run in years.

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

As much as anything else it’s exciting that we’re in a position that we can speculate about finishing 5th or higher not just for the kudos of a good league finish but it indicates that we’ve got a cracking chance at the cups.

I know there was another thread on this the other day but I think 10th place and a League Cup win would be a great season.

Even 10th and a couple of semi finals would be good, we’ve not had a proper cup run in years.

We've been in three QF in the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

We need top 4 badly, failure and it is goodbye for sure, Perriera, Chillwell, Maddison.

Possibly Tiellamans and  Soyuncu as well, would be a disaster.

I am hopeful of a result Saturday, drew last year in the middle of our worst run of the season (lost 3 consec, drew at Anfield, lost the next 3), maybe we are suited to play them better than most.

If we lose, not the end of the world, at the moment playing Liverpool seems a free hit.

• Like 1

5th after finishing outside the top six in the last three season. Hell yes! Thank you very much. While I think top 4 is a possibility, 5th shows clear progress and at the risk of losing one key player next summer (as we have done since winning the title), I think it gives us a good footing to build on as well as the brand.

4 minutes ago, hackneyfoxx said:

Europa League sscrewed up Burnley and Wolves - Thursday night travelling etc - so Top 4 or bust...

Why is this the case though? Surely no different from the top 4 playing Wednesday and then Saturday. I think it's more to do with squad depth with both those teams not really having it. Tbf we looked like we could get relegated the season we played in the CL which imo was down to squad depth and those players brought in being of a poor standard. 

But obviously I'd rather we be in the champions league. Europa league would be good but you wouldn't hear "the championssssss" belting out on a Tuesday night.

On 29/09/2019 at 13:37, Eamonn said:

City fan just interviewed on TalkSport. He said a lot of sensible stuff and has his own City podcast . But when asked if he'd take a 5th place finish right now, he said yes, and would take top 10.

Would ight now i wouldn't. We won't have many better chances to break into the top 4.

No..

We should go the full Hogg!!

If we don't quite make it..The journey would of been admirable..and that is what it's all about!! 

If we try and show potential ,fans might be disappointed with 7-6,but then again I am sure not unhappy..!!

For the first time we are really playing & mixing with the big boys..We have been able to set our sights higher but not with

Entitled expectation..

I probably would. 

We're third and going well, picking up results but we've put in some very average performances already- Wolves and Man United were both really poor. Didn't think much of us against Spurs until their disallowed goal either- an inch the other way and we would have gone down without a trace against a team well out of form (conversely, we showed a lot of fight to come back into it after that). There's a long way to go but I'd still be surprised if we ended up top 4.