Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"if I offered you 5th right now, would you take it?"

But of a daft hypothetical scenario, you could say yeah and then Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal/Man Utd are all toss and it’s wide open - then it’d feel like an opportunity missed. We’d all be content finishing 5th but it depends on the context of the season.

I’m sure in December 2015, we’d have taken 2nd at the end of the season but how gutting would that have been?

Top 4 or die trying. We’ve been touted as a top 6 team preseason and now we’re performing on-if-not-above par and more critically the teams who ‘should’ be above us are much below par.

Dare to dream, and I have one eye on (both) the cups.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Lack of Vardy back-up is a fair point - a definite vulnerability. I wonder who Brendan would play up front instead?

Iheanacho? Ayoze? Gray? Cannot see any of those options working well, unless he somehow works a miracle with Iheanacho's morale.....even then, he doesn't have Vardy's threat on the shoulder or ability to press, it seems.

Would be possible to get a replacement in January, but how good and at what price?

Essential we do in my opinion. Before the season started I thought Abraham would have been a good shout not knowing Lampard would start playing him. If Sarri was still there may have been better chance. It is an emerging talent that we need to find as a long term replacement. We need to pay whatever it takes. The guy at Norwich doing so well is a bit in the Vardy mould I think. 

1 hour ago, Eamonn said:

City fan just interviewed on TalkSport. He said a lot of sensible stuff and has his own City podcast . But when asked if he'd take a 5th place finish right now, he said yes, and would take top 10.

Would ight now i wouldn't. We won't have many better chances to break into the top 4.

"and would take top 10"

Sounds like an idiot to me, which Leicester fan thinks 10th is acceptable? 

5th is a good season for us as it means we've finished above at least two elite level clubs but the prize is still only a long and exhausting Europa Cup campaign. 3rd and 4th place are there for the taking and it means we can probably keep our manager and best players here and attract higher quality. It's a big, big ask but if we qualify for the CL and build on the success and qualify again the season after it means we can become a serious club.

It's odds against but as things stand as of today I'm targeting top four this season.  

I suppose there's two seperate questions.

Would I be happy with finishing 5th at the end of the season? Yes.

If someone offered me 5th place guaranteed, would I take it? No, because I'd rather gamble on finishing higher, even if it isn't likely. We've done pretty well with "unlikely" so far.

• Like 2

I mean come on, look around you, on early form, having not even really played to our full potential we're top 5 at a point when the table is starting to take shape.

Yes, I'd take top 5. Top 7 was the target for this season and we look a good bet. There is a possibility of top 4, and the longer we are in and around it, the more disappointed we will be not to acheive it. But for real, there's no reason at present why we can't challenge.

Top 10 is, for me, a given. There's no way we're finishing below half of the teams in the league when we're where we are having played most of the season in 3rd gear. Tottenham was our (belated) warning to the league of what we can do when we apply ourselves, VAR or not.

So yeah, I'd take top 5. Top 10, no, because let's be real - finishing outside the top 7 would now represent a disappointing season unless we back it up with domestic silverware. European football of any sort is the goal.

Beat the Toon today after what they did to us at home last season, and I'll start to believe. :scarf:

Edited by OntarioFox

I never understand this question. I would not want to know are final league position regardless. Most of the entertainment of supporting a football team is the journey, if I knew our league results at the beginning of each year I’d give up following football fairly quickly. I’ll take whatever happens please.