Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"if I offered you 5th right now, would you take it?"

City fan just interviewed on TalkSport. He said a lot of sensible stuff and has his own City podcast . But when asked if he'd take a 5th place finish right now, he said yes, and would take top 10.

Would ight now i wouldn't. We won't have many better chances to break into the top 4.

Guest BlueBrett

Smacks of wanting to sound reasonable and avoid any delusions of grandeur type comments on a national radio station. No chance he'd be happy with top ten in his heart of hearts. This is why they say you have to dare to dream..**** worrying about what other people will say if we talk big and fail, let's be bold about it. I want that top 4 finish and everything that goes along with it and I'm confident and supportive enough of this squad to be completely open about it. Besides, if we don't make it there's always next year so really there's nothing to fear.

European football is vital at the end of this season. If we want to keep hold of our better player, it's imperative they see signs of progression. 5th would put 2 of the "big 6" below us and maybe give us some leverage. 

Also, the immortal legend that is Jamie Vardy will be 34 halfway through next season, nobody anywhere near his calibre is likely to join us without European football on offer. He will need help next season if we do make it. 

No chance. I’ve seen enough so far to know we’re capable of top 4 and at the end of the day UCL is where everyone really aspires to be. After Liverpool and Man City we’re as capable as anyone on our day - we just need to recognise and believe that, and I think we’re starting to.

Also gives us best chance of retaining the likes of Maddison, Ricardo, Chilwell etc

Edited by Ben.

Guest BlueBrett
10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You get nothing for 5th that 6th and probably 7th don’t get, so what’s the point?

Exactly.

It's almost a trick question. I mean if you phrased it differently like 'would you bypass the ups and downs and forgo the entertainment of what promises to be an exciting and unpredictable season, one that we all spent months looking forward to, to guarantee finishing in a position that you get not much more than a pain in the arse for, in order to guard against the possibility of finishing slightly lower but at the expense of the chance of doing something special?' How many people would say yes then?

Edited by BlueBrett

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You get nothing for 5th that 6th and probably 7th don’t get, so what’s the point?

Europa league qualification is easier?

I'd go for forth since I can't think of many seasons where Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal will be this beatable, our rivals this lacklustre and our squad this good (save 15/16).

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

I would snap your hands off. We are only a Vardy long term injury away from mid table in my opinion.

Lack of Vardy back-up is a fair point - a definite vulnerability. I wonder who Brendan would play up front instead?

Iheanacho? Ayoze? Gray? Cannot see any of those options working well, unless he somehow works a miracle with Iheanacho's morale.....even then, he doesn't have Vardy's threat on the shoulder or ability to press, it seems.

Would be possible to get a replacement in January, but how good and at what price?