Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"if I offered you 5th right now, would you take it?"

I think 4th or even 3rd is a very legitimate goal, especially if you don’t go deep in one or both of the cups. MUFC, Spurs, and Chelsea all have real issues and will be inconsistent over the season. Arsenal is weak defensively, and Emery is too clever by half when it comes to tactics. 

Would I take 5th place now - No, it’s far too early in the season to distinguish a good start to the campaign with being a consistent top performer week in week out, and I still don’t think we’ve hit top stride yet

Would I take a top five finish at the end of the season - guaranteed top five would be an excellent campaign, certainly not to be sniffed at. It would show we’ve been consistent and pushed all of the way and consistently performed at a high level week in week out

lets forget it for now and enjoying the ride. Slowly slowly and all that 🦊💙

• Like 1

I wouldnt take it no.

Some people are still stuck on the idea there is no social movement in football, and a club like ourselves has no right to be wanting top 4, its sad that this belief still exists when we only won the title 3 seasons ago.

We finished above teams like spurs, chelsea and man utd when they were "stronger" than this season.  All 3 of those teams were stronger in our title season in my opinion.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

If you had asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have snapped your hand off. Now? nah, we may end up lower than that but its going to be a hell of a ride and I really think that top four is actually a genuine possibility the way are playing. Not to mention what a shambles the competition is looking at the minute.

This really could be a defining season for change. We all knew that 2016 was special but not surprised when we could not sustain it. This time feels different somehow, we have youth and quality in depth which we lacked after the title win. whilst the top two are streets ahead of everyone else, the best of the rest no longer looks to be about seventh, it is the fight for third place.

6th would imply that we lose more matches that I know this team can win. And would probably result in us losing more players of the current team than I would be happy with. So no.

All or nothing.

Edited by trabuch

On 29/09/2019 at 18:46, walkerleeds said:

Probably yeah. If we finish outside the top 8 (and no trophy), Rodgers should be sacked. 

That’s a little knee jerk no? 

And no no I wouldn’t. I think we have a real chance this year to really push on and give the ‘big 4’ something to really worry about. We are in such a good place. 

Edited by casablancas

I think I wouldn't take 5th and would want to hold out for Champions League. Would love to hear that CL music and welcome the true giants of European football to the KP again. 

Europa just doesn't seem the same to me now after what we experienced, it almost seems tin pot! If we did make Europa we'd have to treat it as a way into the CL for the following season and go full out to win the thing. 

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Get a win at Anfield this weekend and we are 4 points off TOP... We are a good enough side to beat 17 teams... if we could sneak a win against the other two... who knows :ph34r::whistle:

We can all dream 😃, ill quote this when we loose to palace at home :P

• Haha 1

If we did finish 5th it would no doubt be a good season for us, but the way we have started and the way the other big 6 have performed this season, I would be disappointed. I think the standard of all the top 6 has dropped this season, including liverpool and man city and I think this is as wide open as it has been since 15/16 and we all know what happened then.

This is as good a chance as we ever had for top 4 and whilst we are still in the hunt for top 4, I would never accept 5th.

On 29/09/2019 at 12:37, Eamonn said:

City fan just interviewed on TalkSport. He said a lot of sensible stuff and has his own City podcast . But when asked if he'd take a 5th place finish right now, he said yes, and would take top 10.

Would ight now i wouldn't. We won't have many better chances to break into the top 4.

this is a hypothetical - the reality is we are all going to see what happens...and hat's how it should be... so no - I want to know how we measure up over 38 games