Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

2 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

We have been flying most of the season , it’s gone flat but that’s a standard thing with many in this squad , it will turn around , it’s obvious as a group they are struggling with no crowds at home the bite has gone 

if we finished 7th that’s above par for this squad we would be the best of the rest really outside the Big 6 

but I have no doubt we will Finish in top 4 we just need a win to spark us 

...you just will not let this misguided belief alone will you!!!

Struggling because of no crowds...we were bad before the pandemic, you seem to have a very selective memory.

Happy to take 7th as if that is an achievement in a season where we dominated our opposition amassing a points gap which many would have deemed unassailable in order make top 4, yet spent the second half of the season throwing points away.

We failed to turn up in important matches against, the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, 2 cup matches and you view this to be a good season.

We are dire at the moment and no hoping and praying is going to resolve this.

4 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Even if we finish 7th is it that bad?

Our best ever finish since we won the league and yet some are calling for his head.

Its a young side that will get better and ive no doubt he needs time. Yes I'm concerned about the players we're linked with and some star players on the decline but you can't just sack him.

When we were sitting second and 14 points clear of 5th I think it would be bad, it also suggests that the start of next season, based on the form book, we would be battling relegation.

I think the most disturbing thing is Rodgers' refusal to acknowledge reality.  Show some fuching anger, man!  He keeps trying the same things over and over and keeps proclaiming everything is fine when it patently is not.

And use all your subs, for cripes' sake.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unique FC said:

(Sorry to bring this up again)

Just an example of Rodgers being stubborn I think we saw in yesterdays game. He started a strong 11 which was good to see for a cup game. However his changes again only are position for position and hoping the subs conjure up something different. 

I do feel we missed a chance and he could have tried 352 and put pressure against Rudiger and Zouma who looked very comfortable dealing with Vardy on his own. Also, Vardy is not going to play every minute of every game as we have 2 - 3 per week, so the chance to play Kelechi and Perez and tried them together could have been good practice, for when Vardy can not play and we wanted to try a new system.

Disappointing to lose of course, but I do feel in defeat we can still learn something and try new ideas, to change the game in our favour for example, and that is what disappointed me more than the result yesterday. I could not see us creating a decent chance in the 4-1-4-1 system and to persist with that for the entire game was a wasted opportunity. 

True, but after the Brighton game, I felt the players equally fitted into your "stubborn" equation, I don't think just Brendan should be accused of stubborness. 

Therefore regarding yesterdays game, I'm unsure the players would have adapted as quickly as you'd have liked.

I'm all for using the subs, but only if the players are happy with the changes. 

As for "good practice" during an FA Cup QF, trust me, I'm all for it, but I know the majority wouldn't. 

Something is clearly wrong  ...maybe he has lost, or is on the way to losing, the dressing room.  Hoping something changes to improve things  even if its just a bit of luck for a change.  

I get the criticism of Rodgers - it's fair. Calling for his head at this stage is ridiculous though - if we finish 7th then that's still the 2nd best top flight finish we'll have had. If we're 16th next season then it'll be a different conversation.

The challenge for Rodgers is that he's everything he wanted - Congerton, a new contract, the players he's wanted. On him to deliver now.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you just will not let this misguided belief alone will you!!!

Struggling because of no crowds...we were bad before the pandemic, you seem to have a very selective memory.

Happy to take 7th as if that is an achievement in a season where we dominated our opposition amassing a points gap which many would have deemed unassailable in order make top 4, yet spent the second half of the season throwing points away.

We failed to turn up in important matches against, the Manchester clubs, Liverpool, 2 cup matches and you view this to be a good season.

We are dire at the moment and no hoping and praying is going to resolve this.

And moaning will ? 

im just sad we can’t get the crowd behind them and lift their sprits 

I don’t pray as I don’t believe, I know that form is temporary and it will turn around if not now then next season 

we will be fine , at least we aren’t the other end of the table 

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

I find this attitude of “well 7th would still be a good finish” a bit bizarre. 

In the last few years we won the Premier League, got to the Quarter Finals of the Champion’s League (and were a shoe-in for the Semis) and now we’re on the cusp of a top four finish and another Champion’s League campaign. This assumption we’re above our station and are destined to return to the doldrums are only as true as we make it. We have an excellent young first team (when it turns up!) and the backing to keep those players and invest further. We can absolutely be a team that consistently challenges top four. 

Man City never settled for 7th. They demanded their spot at the head of the table and made it happen. Yeah, we’re not historically as big a club, and don’t have such a eye-wateringly large kitty, but the current shape of Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs means we can easily compete with the big boys to always be up or around there. We absolutely should not take 7th lying down because it takes all our quality, backing and potential and says we’re alright being the best of the rest and accepting the glass ceiling until we’re decimated for talent and go the way of Stoke, Villa & Southampton who once upon a time were happy to accept being the ‘next best’.

Comparing us to Man City 🤦‍♂️

they have spent about a billion more than us ! 

you make some fair points but 

Just now, LinekersLugs said:

Comparing us to Man City 🤦‍♂️

they have spent about a billion more than us ! 

you make some fair points but 

Which is why I said: 

Yeah, we’re not historically as big a club [as Man City], and don’t have such a eye-wateringly large kitty, but the current shape of Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs means we can easily compete with the big boys to always be up or around there

I didn’t say we need to be winning the league and competing with Man City & Liverpool, but the owners have invested hundreds of millions of pounds between the squad, training facilities and (soon enough) the ground, we should expect to  see some return in league position and seriously threaten the top four spots. Man City never stopped their previous reputation as a middling club stump their ambition and neither should we, is my point. 

5 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

And moaning will ? 

im just sad we can’t get the crowd behind them and lift their sprits 

I don’t pray as I don’t believe, I know that form is temporary and it will turn around if not now then next season 

we will be fine , at least we aren’t the other end of the table 

..next season will be too late!!!

The cost of failing to qualify for the Champions league will be circa £70m. With the economic cost of the pandemic this is not something to turn our nose up at.

Next season will allow Rodgers to reset his goals and attempt to bring.in the quality he believes will make a difference to his vision. He needs as much spare change as possible.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I ask a simple question - you sack BR, who is a viable alternative? Who will be better long term? 

I don't want it to happen, but I'd be doing all I could to try and get Chris Wilder in as the gaffer if it was possible. He seems to continually improve and has done well at any level he's played at. Highly regarded coach by his players and clearly a very good man manager. 

Rodgers at the very very least deserves a summer transfer window to make the necessary changes to the squad and try to find new ways to beat teams. I think we need a few older heads to compliment the young talent we have. As well as that we need some serious quality adding in the final 3rd. I'd be looking to ship Albrighton and Gray off in the summer and bring in 2 players that are good enough to start on the wings.

Also would seriously be looking at bringing in another striker. Vardy is reaching the end and we need a player that can come in and seriously look to challenge Kelechi to replace him. Then we need another forward thinking midfielder to keep Maddison on his toes. We need to be able to look to the bench and be able to bring on quality. I just hope the club agrees. Our depth is embarrassing for a club that wants to be competing in Europe on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't want it to happen, but I'd be doing all I could to try and get Chris Wilder in as the gaffer if it was possible. He seems to continually improve and has done well at any level he's played at. Highly regarded coach by his players and clearly a very good man manager. 

Rodgers at the very very least deserves a summer transfer window to make the necessary changes to the squad and try to find new ways to beat teams. I think we need a few older heads to compliment the young talent we have. As well as that we need some serious quality adding in the final 3rd. I'd be looking to ship Albrighton and Gray off in the summer and bring in 2 players that are good enough to start on the wings.

Also would seriously be looking at bringing in another striker. Vardy is reaching the end and we need a player that can come in and seriously look to challenge Kelechi to replace him. Then we need another forward thinking midfielder to keep Maddison on his toes. We need to be able to look to the bench and be able to bring on quality. I just hope the club agrees. Our depth is embarrassing for a club that wants to be competing in Europe on a regular basis.

Great answer, thank you.

Just throwing it out there but will the CL qualification revenues stack up for next season with the pandemic in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if UEFA were already looking at this to drive down TV revenues etc for the worst case scenarios. 

Can understand the frustration as we have been poor for a while but I thought we started with good intent yesterday and rodgers clearly went for chelsea early and set up where we should have been at half time ahead. It is not his fault that barnes decided to not shoot, for vardy to not control the through ball he has to take him one on one, for ndidi and Evans to not finish those headers or ayoze to take too long when free in the centre and be decisive. Unfortunately he had to take praet and perez off as they were only just back from injury and lampard had a bench full of quality that overpowered us while we got weaker with our subs. 

I agree that we need a plan b and some of rodgers decisions like mendy playing vs brighton were bizarre but we have it in our own hands. Not spending in jan looks an awful decision but we obviously dont have the money to do it. I agree that missing out on the CL would be a big set back financially and it would be gutting not to get in, but we have 7 games now where rodgers will be judged and there was enough in that first half to suggest we can be competitive in all these last 7 games. Just need for the players and rodgers to pull together and get themselves over the line. 

• Like 3

Lampard did say that in the fitst half that is the worst Chelsea played under him, so us looking ok is probably down to them being awful.

The difference is Lampard quickly changed the team around and made a difference, I expect he went ballistic too. Rodgers on the other hand come saying that was a good performance, clearly it wasnt unless you are looking to win league 1. 

3 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Lampard did say that in the fitst half that is the worst Chelsea played under him, so us looking ok is probably down to them being awful.

The difference is Lampard quickly changed the team around and made a difference, I expect he went ballistic too. Rodgers on the other hand come saying that was a good performance, clearly it wasnt unless you are looking to win league 1. 

'There's none so blind as them that can't see'

If Rodgers thought that was good then there's your problem. 

7 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Do you think them not playing well was something to do with us? The quality of the subs on their bench were better than ours too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danny Clender said:

True, but after the Brighton game, I felt the players equally fitted into your "stubborn" equation, I don't think just Brendan should be accused of stubborness. 

Therefore regarding yesterdays game, I'm unsure the players would have adapted as quickly as you'd have liked.

I'm all for using the subs, but only if the players are happy with the changes. 

As for "good practice" during an FA Cup QF, trust me, I'm all for it, but I know the majority wouldn't. 

Correct, the starting 11 I don't have any complaints with, that is the best side for me we have (without Maddison) so 4-1-4-1 not a problem with. And we did start the game well. I would use that same starting 11 v Everton personally. But after half time when Chelsea made changes and were on top and especially when we were losing the game surely you have to change / adapt and turn the game in our favour. Like for like subs was a waste of time. Rudiger and Zouma were so comfortable and we didn't have 1 clear shot all game. 

I get what you mean and maybe good practice was the incorrect term. But I still feel we should have tried a new formation or done something different to give ourselves a chance of getting something from the game. I think as fans we could have understood in the last 10 minutes if we played 2 upfront at least we could see the logic behind it. Persisting with what was not working is poor from management. Just my opinion of course but I could not see us forcing Caballero into making a save. Caballero is a back up gk and not overly great at that, so for him to play and not even test him once is poor, both from Rodgers (formation / tactics) and the Players on the pitch. This is where a change to system could have worked. I wouldn't change the system to 352 in a QF or another big game to start a match. But when we are losing and not looking like scoring, no creativity in final 3rd surely you would think he could have changed formation to give us a chance. Having another striker on the bench and not playing him for at least 10-15 minutes is poor management. 

Start of the season Rodgers did bring Morgan on and go 3 at the back with Chilwell and Ricardo. Admittedly no Ricardo but Albrighton could have gone there or JJ. The team do know how to play this formation, and I think we beat Newcastle at their place with this formation with Kelechi and Perez up top. I guess it is just frustrating watching us put a consistent run of damp squib performances together, especially when we started the season incredibly well and in good positions in 2 cups. To see where we are now is unrecognisable. 

• Thanks 1

Imho, I think the problem stems from the fact that Maddison, Perreira and Chilwell are the only players skilful enough and not afraid to carry the ball. With their absence, loss of form and fragility, defenders reverted back to finding strikers with long balls. In EPL, Serie A and la Liga, this route one solution has become anachronic with the demands of high level football nowadays, bare the occasional, opportunistic flare of genius (Allisson's ball to Salah against Man U). I hope for what's left of the season that the promise of rubbing shoulders with the elite clubs would be enough for the players to get their mojo back. If not, well, another period of reconstruction awaits those who won't be shipped out.