Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

King Brendan ...... ohhh how lucky we are

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Mike Ashley said it himself it was a £16 million release clause. Said Newcastle have to put these types of clauses in to contracts because they can’t compete with the big clubs financially. John Percy also said it. I can’t be arsed to go and find the link I’m sure if you do 20 minutes research on the net you’ll find it. 

...so how much have we paid to Newcastle for his services!!!

2 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Ok, so let’s start with the obvious acknowledgement that top 4 is brilliant for us-way beyond the scope of our squad, and the club did brilliantly to put itself in that position. 

The thing is, there were signs all along that it was borrowed time. We were appalling against any of the ‘Big 6’-Rodgers waved a white flag at kick off and the lads stood there and took it. We also shithoused a lot of wins against the rest in the late autumn (no problem with doing that, provided you keep it up). 4 or 5 memorable games aside, we hung on Ndidi and Schmeichel keeping us in games, and Vardy sticking away more goals than we could reasonably expect. 

Since before Christmas really, and certainly since mid-Jan, the players haven’t had a plan to break people down, and Rodgers hasn’t responded. Our starting XI has repeatedly been bizarre, and subs have been late and often weird. We’ve negated Maddison, blunted Tielemans, and Cags is more often than not a bombscare. Chilwell isn’t progressing (not that he deserves half the shit he gets on here, but still). Without Ricardo, our side is Schmeichel, Evans, Ndidi and Vardy plus filler, with Barnes underused and now Vardy way out of form... And the response is more shit tiki-taka with no width.

It’s not knee-jerk, and it’s not calling for his head, but it’s legitimate to be concerned that our form is appalling, and there hasn’t been any sign on the pitch or off it that we’re about to improve. It’s on our very expensive manager to justify his position. I sincerely hope he does.

You know me - cannot be doing with knee-jerk doom-and-gloom, sacking the manager because we go a goal down, hating every player that has nice hair or smiles - but this is a very fair, very well-reasoned piece of writing. It is hard to disagree with a lot of the thought processes here, but it is a world away from the bitter, angry slagging off that I generally despise. This is how it is done - form an argument and then back it up.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Ok, so let’s start with the obvious acknowledgement that top 4 is brilliant for us-way beyond the scope of our squad, and the club did brilliantly to put itself in that position. 

The thing is, there were signs all along that it was borrowed time. We were appalling against any of the ‘Big 6’-Rodgers waved a white flag at kick off and the lads stood there and took it. We also shithoused a lot of wins against the rest in the late autumn (no problem with doing that, provided you keep it up). 4 or 5 memorable games aside, we hung on Ndidi and Schmeichel keeping us in games, and Vardy sticking away more goals than we could reasonably expect. 

Since before Christmas really, and certainly since mid-Jan, the players haven’t had a plan to break people down, and Rodgers hasn’t responded. Our starting XI has repeatedly been bizarre, and subs have been late and often weird. We’ve negated Maddison, blunted Tielemans, and Cags is more often than not a bombscare. Chilwell isn’t progressing (not that he deserves half the shit he gets on here, but still). Without Ricardo, our side is Schmeichel, Evans, Ndidi and Vardy plus filler, with Barnes underused and now Vardy way out of form... And the response is more shit tiki-taka with no width.

It’s not knee-jerk, and it’s not calling for his head, but it’s legitimate to be concerned that our form is appalling, and there hasn’t been any sign on the pitch or off it that we’re about to improve. It’s on our very expensive manager to justify his position. I sincerely hope he does.

We don't disagree in any of the bold areas, I've stated my issues with how we play already. I think our midfield is consistently too deep to affect attacking play, which leaves the wingers to do all the main attacking work, and Vardy very isolated. However I don't width was an issue with the last game, we had overlaps from the full backs, and utilised the full width of the pitch (against Brighton it was a different story). Our buildup is just much slower than earlier in the season, we don't move the ball quickly enough. There were short spells of it, but it was not consistent. There seems to be less belief in our players, and that's where Rodgers should earn his pay.

We certainly were not appalling against Chelsea or Spurs (at home in the league), both games I attended and we competed with them both, toe to toe. But here's where the argument falls apart. We're acting like we currently belong in the position we're in purely based on who our manager is, I'm saying I don't think our squad is at the level of any "big 6" team, beyond probably Arsenal and I think we're greatly suffering due to a chronic lack of depth. It's those team's form (and our winning streak) that got us into our current position, and gave us the cushion we currently are living off. We need investment and a swathe of new squad players, a step above the ability of our current crop. We have no game-changers that can come off the bench. Our bench is made up of arguably 6 or 7 defensive players, and 1 or 2 wingers which net a single goal or 2 per season, at most.

The idea we didn't earn our wins in August based on the quality of play is also demonstrably false though. We had two games in total this season where we didn't outperform our opponent in xG (which takes into account the clinical nature of the start of our season) and go on to win the game. We were creating the better chances, and then winning the games. Interestingly, we've also had two games where the reverse is true, where we created better chances and went on to lose the game. The remainder, we either deserved to win based on the quality of chances created, or we deserved to lose. We were consistently hitting 15-20 shots per game, whereas now our midfield has disappeared we aren't getting close to that figure.

But, you don't think saying the manager that has this squad (albeit precariously) in 3rd place is becoming a "serial failure", after barely a single season is a kneejerk reaction? Come on. We all have our issues with our current form, but the statement above based on a drop in form is absolutely ridiculous. Like I say, this season we've registered the most wins of any season we've had whilst back in this league, outside the league winning season, with 20% of the season left to play.

At the end of the day, Rodgers is suffering due to his own previous success.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Mike Ashley said it himself it was a £16 million release clause. Said Newcastle have to put these types of clauses in to contracts because they can’t compete with the big clubs financially. John Percy also said it. I can’t be arsed to go and find the link I’m sure if you do 20 minutes research on the net you’ll find it. 

No that's fine, thanks very much, I just genuinely didn't know that. In which case it doesn't sound as bad as reported then because presumably, any add ons would be based on things like appearances and performance therefore. It's in all our interests that he develops into the player we want him to be. Personally I don’t think that's languishing out on the wing for reasons previously outlined, albeit I appreciate he played out on the right for his one good season with Newcastle. However, when he ventured inside from the right there, it was feeding off a very different sort of forward player in the shape of Rondon. In complete fairness to him, some of the goals he has scored showed an accomplished level of skill and were very well taken, I would have thought that in the absence of Maddison at the weekend,  if Iheanacho was not going to be picked, a position behind Vardy to both assist or feed off would have been a valid option.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2020 at 18:26, manders86 said:

I can't even put into words how frustrating it is to play out a 1-0 defeat, tapping it around at the back and not throwing everything at it. Our squad does not have enough depth, but why wasn't Kelechi put on the last 15?

Can’t really believe the amount of chances that we could have put the tie to bed in the first half, we need Maddison back ASAP we need Vards to find the net again it just seems he’s lost his mojo whether it’s service to him or something up with him ?

We can’t always rely on Vards all the time can’t really bench him as at times he pops up with amazing runs and goals  Kelechi is improving can’t really say about Ayoze in striker position as he always seems to be on the wing but he was dangerous at Southampton, I think we need to get a quality forward and a quality winger in as well as maybe another left back with a couple more positions in the summer so if were preparing  to go into the champions league next season we need a bit more depth and quality on the bench or even starting 11?

Hoping we kick off and get all 3 points against the Toffees get Vardy back knocking those goals in for fun can see if he scores 1 he’ll go on a bit of a run last 6 games I’ve got a few quid on him for golden boot so here’s hoping he starts scoring Wednesday night ?

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Anyone think brendan would of gone Arsenal had we not offered a newer improved contract? Imo I think he would of gone just by his way in interviews at the time. 

Unless he handed in his resignation, no. He didn't have to sign a new contract.

Im a huge fan of Brendan and what he was doing in the first half of this season. 

But I'm getting pissed off at the interviews. They remind me of them interviews managers of smaller clubs do (sean dyche), where its constantly a reminder of how great a job theyve done to gloss over the huge shortcomings when they do arise.

The interview i watched earlier on SSN basically he said, we've been doing loads better than you thought so it should be expected we'd blow it. 

He took this job because he knew the starting XI was strong enough for top 4 with a couple of other clubs in a mess. He knew it would also be looked at as a huge achievement back in a top league, ready for a massive club to come in for him. 

He needs to turn it around, or that move might not come.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Im a huge fan of Brendan and what he was doing in the first half of this season. 

But I'm getting pissed off at the interviews. They remind me of them interviews managers of smaller clubs do (sean dyche), where its constantly a reminder of how great a job theyve done to gloss over the huge shortcomings when they do arise.

The interview i watched earlier on SSN basically he said, we've been doing loads better than you thought so it should be expected we'd blow it. 

He took this job because he knew the starting XI was strong enough for top 4 with a couple of other clubs in a mess. He knew it would also be looked at as a huge achievement back in a top league, ready for a massive club to come in for him. 

I agree here. 

Solksjaer recently dug out his team despite being on a winning run - players need to earn the right etc. 

On the face of it that could do some harm but it galvanised things. 

As a club we've become a bit stuffy and soft. 

• Like 1

When BR took the team I thought we had players tha looked like they could go for European place, and when he took over our results have proved that's the case, but imo BR has made some strange decisions, he's made mistakes and even admitted those mistakes, after the Man City match I think it was I saw pundits (Lee Dixon amongst them) question how BR couldn't see the tactical errors of how we were getting done and change it. There's no doubt he gets plaudits for his coaching but is there a lack of ability with tactics and setting a team up? If we don't get Europe this season it will be a terrible failure imo and would have to fall at BR feet imo

• Like 3

I posted back in January that I felt we would struggle and just about limp over the line in 4th, and that's the way it's shaping up. We need one big effort from everyone to get the job done. Then it will be a very successful season and Brendan will deserve great credit despite our shortcomings in the Cups and league since Christmas. In short the Table won't reflect the difficulties we've had, only where we finished this season. Hopefully 3rd or 4th.

It is hard to be to critical of Brendan when we sit third in the Table, But equally he has made mistakes which I wouldn't have expected from a Manager of his experience.

His first mistake was not signing an alternative type striker in the Ulloa, Howard mould last Summer. Many of us pointed this out at the time.This would have given us an alternative way of playing when things are not going well. Currently we're too predictable and too slow.

He also failed to add some real pace to the team which on it's own terrifies defenders. It's not just on the wings you need pace. It's right through the team. In short the balance of the team is wrong.

He also ignored the need for a physical presence which leaves us struggling at set plays both ends of the Pitch.

I also think he's misusing Maddison which is why we are not getting the best from him recently. Similarly Tielemans.

For me Maddison is covering too much ground and hasn't got the energy to be as effective in the final third of the pitch where we need his skill most.

I also feel we're not fit enough compared to other seasons. It may be down to the style we're playing, which slows the game down and looks even slower.

In BRs defense, He's only had 15 Months and one Summer Window to work with the players and to bring in the players he wants. He has to be given more time regardless of how the season finishes. Even if we have further Hot and Cold periods next season. Once we're mid table and progress is visible.

It took both Guardiola and Klopp 3 years to mould Man City and Liverpool teams to their liking and achieve success. 

He was also hampered with the squad he inherited with Slimani,Silva, Plus poor signings and long term injuries. This has meant that he was restricted in the market as to what he could do due to financial constraints and fair play rules. 

In Maddisons case as with others it may be that he's educating him in others parts of the game to broaden his wider understanding of the game. In the belief that this will make him a more effective player overall.

I'd prefer to see him used in a similar manner as David Silva for Man City, In and around the opposition penalty box terrifying defenders with his trickery and ability to buy fouls.

Vardy, when he's doing what he does best which is scoring we're usually winning so it's hard to be too critical of him as he's served us well. But when it's not working he's virtually a liability as he offers very little else as he's not a rounded type of player like Giroud or Salah. Consequently we suffer as a team to change or effect a game. 

It's also fair to say that we are talking about small margins. But that is the difference at the top end of the game. Turning draws into wins and 1 nil defeats in Draws.

All in all this is going to be a big Summer Window for Brendan. Which he just has to get it right.

Otherwise the patience of everyone will be truly tested.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The starting XI is not a top 4 team 

they have massively over achieved 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

The starting XI is not a top 4 team 

they have massively over achieved 

I disagree.

We all knew the potential of this team in the summer. Alot of us said top 6. If you can crack the top 6 then top 4 was never out of the question.

The way we are playing now is like a relegation side. But that shouldn't mean we just say **** it, we're shit. 

He knew when he joined he could achieve this kind of position this season.

Edited by Gamble92
Spelling
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, splinterdream said:

When BR took the team I thought we had players tha looked like they could go for European place, and when he took over our results have proved that's the case, but imo BR has made some strange decisions, he's made mistakes and even admitted those mistakes, after the Man City match I think it was I saw pundits (Lee Dixon amongst them) question how BR couldn't see the tactical errors of how we were getting done and change it. There's no doubt he gets plaudits for his coaching but is there a lack of ability with tactics and setting a team up? If we don't get Europe this season it will be a terrible failure imo and would have to fall at BR feet imo

Exactly this. I for one have been saying this for months now and getting slaughtered. I feel he is a great coach but not a manager. His tactics and substitutions leave me mystified.

• Thanks 1

None of our wingers would be getting a starting place or really much game time in any top four Prem side.

Kasper and our back four (when Ricardo is fit) with Ndidi sitting in front is class. Vardy Madders Praet Youri also quality.

After that we have squad players and not close to a comparable depth that other top 4-6 teams can field in competitions.

We have 10 players total who might compete to get in other top four-six sides. And only 8 of them were fit on Sunday.

We are still making that transition to the total football but haven’t got the personnel to play it to it’s full effect and create the chances and bury them. It’s what I’d call a shit brand of total football!

If we keep going we will get there - we looked more like ourselves against Chelsea and we will get better against the teams that park the bus and leave us no space too. 

2 new wingers is a must and Harvey needs to find a first touch and better balls in and tbh a better strike at goal too from somewhere - he’s just not quite there yet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

None of our wingers would be getting a starting place or really much game time in any top four Prem side.

Kasper and our back four (when Ricardo is fit) with Ndidi sitting in front is class. Vardy Madders Praet Youri also quality.

After that we have squad players and not close to a comparable depth that other top 4-6 teams can field in competitions.

We have 10 players total who might compete to get in other top four-six sides. And only 8 of them were fit on Sunday.

We are still making that transition to the total football but haven’t got the personnel to play it to it’s full effect and create the chances and bury them. It’s what I’d call a shit brand of total football!

If we keep going we will get there - we looked more like ourselves against Chelsea and we will get better against the teams that park the bus and leave us no space too. 

2 new wingers is a must and Harvey needs to find a first touch and better balls in and tbh a better strike at goal too from somewhere - he’s just not quite there yet.

Spot on, other team can make changes that really have an impact, we don’t. Well not consistently.

Gray has done at times, Albrighton does at times.

Kelichi has Had a little more impact from the bench but still does strike fear into the opposition.

You would think it is so easy being a football manager with the comments on here! Just put him there, bring so & so and we will win, oh wait! Change the formation instead, that will work!  Give it passion and a bit of fist pumping that will do the job!  The problems are more of a confidence issue for the players.....now it is Brenda's job to rectify that, he needs to get the best out of Maddison, who's had a drop off in form and find the midfield solution for Vardy, so that he can get his scoring boots on again!  If he does that he's a hero again, but if not he will have the chance to bring some players in to rectify this.  If our form continues to nose dive next season, then it is the time to question his management skills!!!

8 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

You would think it is so easy being a football manager with the comments on here! Just put him there, bring so & so and we will win, oh wait! Change the formation instead, that will work!  Give it passion and a bit of fist pumping that will do the job!  The problems are more of a confidence issue for the players.....now it is Brenda's job to rectify that, he needs to get the best out of Maddison, who's had a drop off in form and find the midfield solution for Vardy, so that he can get his scoring boots on again!  If he does that he's a hero again, but if not he will have the chance to bring some players in to rectify this.  If our form continues to nose dive next season, then it is the time to question his management skills!!!

...it's a lack of tactical knowhow is the problem, not his man management skills!!!

This is not his first season in a managerial capacity and situations like this are issues he would have previously encountered. The fact he has no answer to our decline in performance leads me to believe he is not good enough to sustain a top four pursuit nor be competitive in Europe.

His retention of Morgan and Fuchs must surely be for their leadership and a conduit to his players, it is time to use them and stop floundering because of his own shortcomings.