Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Once thing I will say is that in recent games, the intense pressing on show from our opponents has made many look out of sorts, this is also something we need to manage because it seemed to me that when we are aggressively pressed early in the game - we never seem to quite regain our composure.

You're 100% correct. Norwich found us out and other teams are cottoning on. There are a few players that really don't like being pressed and pressurised. This, I feel, is the drawback of a young team. Whilst talented there is a lack of composure that comes with age and maturity. Fuchs never really looks flustered, mistakes or not, and this is probably owing to the fact he's an ex international captain with a career behind him. Chilwell has an entire career ahead of him, and I think that he'll be something special with the right application, but hasn't had the experiences of being pressed, harangued, and high stakes games.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

You're 100% correct. Norwich found us out and other teams are cottoning on. There are a few players that really don't like being pressed and pressurised. This, I feel, is the drawback of a young team. Whilst talented there is a lack of composure that comes with age and maturity. Fuchs never really looks flustered, mistakes or not, and this is probably owing to the fact he's an ex international captain with a career behind him. Chilwell has an entire career ahead of him, and I think that he'll be something special with the right application, but hasn't had the experiences of being pressed, harangued, and high stakes games.

Thanks, on the aggressive pressing topic, it’s good to get a 2nd opinion (especially when it’s confirms your own of course lol ) but this was quite a stark concerning thing I thought. The obvious panic has the potential to be of serious concern, and this panic is something Brendan needs to somehow mitigate, either by formation change or personnel.

Just been having a bit of a think regarding Chilwell.

His brilliance in the team has really regressed I think since Tielemans came in and we went to a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-2-3-1.

I think he's at his best when his job is to get the ball down and run. I wonder if we're asking him to not do that so much given we've effectively swapped a defensive midfielder for an attacking one. Obviously moving to a 4-1-4-1 has been great for the likes of Ndidi, Evans, Soyuncu, Vardy and Tielemans but I think it's hurting Maddison and definitely Chilwell. I think Ricardo is good enough to overcome the lack of an extra defensive midfielder but I think Chilwell is struggling for this reason. Perhaps an all action box to box midfielder would be a good signing for the team?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thanks, on the aggressive pressing topic, it’s good to get a 2nd opinion (especially when it’s confirms your own of course lol ) but this was quite a stark concerning thing I thought. The obvious panic has the potential to be of serious concern, and this panic is something Brendan needs to somehow mitigate, either by formation change or personnel.

It's not the first time I've thought about this - I think we need an older head in midfield. I think having someone with a bit of experience would help get players like Chilwell and Tielemans off the hook in higher pressure games. Perhaps that is the thinking behind Fuchs being part of the back three, he's there to serve Chilwell as an old lag. I did notice a few times against Villa he was pointing and attempting to direct Chilwell.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's not the first time I've thought about this - I think we need an older head in midfield. I think having someone with a bit of experience would help get players like Chilwell and Tielemans off the hook in higher pressure games. Perhaps that is the thinking behind Fuchs being part of the back three, he's there to serve Chilwell as an old lag. I did notice a few times against Villa he was pointing and attempting to direct Chilwell.

Bring back Dean Hammond! 

On 13/01/2020 at 12:44, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody seen this Mercury link by Jamie Kimble? It’s just a load of quotes from FT - quality journalism.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-news-chilwell-3732842.amp

@Ric Flair

I still live in hope that they’ll report my “The Mercury is a shitrag” post 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I get your point and agree to an extent.

However, if I go to work and repeatedly turn in lacklustre, often apathetic, performances then I do leave myself open to criticism. He shouldn't be immune; he looks like he either can't be arsed or is scared.

I do get what you said earlier about him being called a c u next tuesday regularly, that's bang out of order, however I can't feel too bad about people telling him to pull his finger out of his arse whilst he's stood around looking like it is up there. I also think, in Chilwell's case, that criticism will have an impact on him and might serve a role.

And like people have pointed out : he plays like couldn't give a toss but is all smiles and eager to have some mad bantz with the lads. That gets up some folks' noses, not mine particularly, but I can understand why it pisses them off. Even if we know, deep down, players don't really care about the club we like the illusion because we love it. The players are recompensed enough that they should, at very least, present the image that they give a toss. Chilwell is a nice lad and clearly popular - he could help himself by networking away from the view of already frustrated fans. 

Also, and on a side note, that intro to the light show is so hideous that when it comes on I wince. Get. In. The. Bin.

Thats a fair point, in many jobs if you dont perform, you can expect to at least get "some" stick, especially if you working in a team and it affects the rest of your team.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It is nice to finally have someone agree with me on the experience problem.

Remember our first season, when a old Cambiasso was put on the pitch, and his presence alone was enough to calm the players around him.

8 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Thats a fair point, in many jobs if you dont perform, you can expect to at least get "some" stick, especially if you working in a team and it affects the rest of your team.

List the many jobs which are televised and where you are given a real-time appraisal by 30,000 customers. 

6 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

List the many jobs which are televised and where you are given a real-time appraisal by 30,000 customers. 

How many jobs pay 10s of thousands per week? the pay reflects that.

I would rather be paid 50k a week, take some stick for 2 hours every couple of weeks vs been paid £300 a week and taking stick 8 hours a day, every day.

The two are not even remotely comparable, I suggest you drop this one, because you onto a beating.

Also dont think for one moment chillwell is the only player in the country taking stick, all clubs do it, and many under performing players have to deal with it.

Its probably worse at small non league clubs, as at least in big grounds, the general noise will drown out individual shouts.

One could argue its even "tough love", in my first job I started very badly, got the tough love, improved and stopped getting stick, so Chilwell knows what to do to silence his critics.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

How many jobs pay 10s of thousands per week? the pay reflects that.

I would rather be paid 50k a week, take some stick for 2 hours every couple of weeks vs been paid £300 a week and taking stick 8 hours a day, every day.

The two are not even remotely comparable, I suggest you drop this one, because you onto a beating.

Also dont think for one moment chillwell is the only player in the country taking stick, all clubs do it, and many under performing players have to deal with it.

You won't find me arguing with you on that one. You will find me asking if that's the case, what was the point of your previous post?

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, murphy said:

And fans that turned on Ghezzal, (I take it you mean the booing) were also condemned by most on here. 

You can't seriously be suggesting that Diabate and Ghezzal showed more promise than Chilwell?  

I can safely say Diabate had an insane amount of technical ability and at some point was in the team over Gray.

You want me to get behind a player who's best attribute is running(most times with the ball out of play) I'm sorry I just can't

17 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Just been having a bit of a think regarding Chilwell.

His brilliance in the team has really regressed I think since Tielemans came in and we went to a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-2-3-1.

I think he's at his best when his job is to get the ball down and run. I wonder if we're asking him to not do that so much given we've effectively swapped a defensive midfielder for an attacking one. Obviously moving to a 4-1-4-1 has been great for the likes of Ndidi, Evans, Soyuncu, Vardy and Tielemans but I think it's hurting Maddison and definitely Chilwell. I think Ricardo is good enough to overcome the lack of an extra defensive midfielder but I think Chilwell is struggling for this reason. Perhaps an all action box to box midfielder would be a good signing for the team?

4-1-4-1 is definitely not hindering Maddison, he’s streets ahead of where he was last season and a massive part of that is that Tielemans is there to feed him as well as taking away some of the creative burden.

I liked Puel but the way he set up the team (style and system) put way too much responsibility on Maddison’s shoulders to create.

Chilwell looked pretty good in a 4-1-4-1 throughout October and November having been quite poor in August and September when we were chopping and changing systems.

The team looks so much more balanced in a 4-1-4-1 but it’s dependent on Ndidi being fit. This has compounded the main issue that right now we’re lacking any quality wingers.

As for Chilwell, I think he’s just out of form, not for the first time this season. 

I rewatched the 0 - 9 last night. Chil was superb. And his teamwork with Barnes made them unplayable. This was on the back of his fantastic England performances. He’s now on some really, really poor form. But you’ve only got to look back a little way to see the player he is. He and Rodgers need to look at returning to that form and ideally with the fans help.

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I rewatched the 0 - 9 last night. Chil was superb. And his teamwork with Barnes made them unplayable. This was on the back of his fantastic England performances. He’s now on some really, really poor form. But you’ve only got to look back a little way to see the player he is. He and Rodgers need to look at returning to that form and ideally with the fans help.

Southampton were utterly dreadful, didn’t looked particularly bothered whether they lost 20-0 that night and were down to ten men for 80 Mins.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

They had 10 men and a total meltdown. They are not normal circumstances to judge how great he can be 

2 hours ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

Southampton were utterly dreadful, didn’t looked particularly bothered whether they lost 20-0 that night and were down to ten men for 80 Mins.

1 minute ago, FLAN said:

They had 10 men and a total meltdown. They are not normal circumstances to judge how great he can be 

Or the fact he got into the England squad and played excellently? Do you have such short memories or are you deciding to forget his excellent performances?

Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Recency bias - its a thing you know

That's it though, it's current form not ability we are talking about.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

That's it though, it's current form not ability we are talking about.

Indeed, which is why its a total irrlelevance when gauging whether a player should either 

• play
  • burn in hell / sell
  • Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach
13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Indeed, which is why its a total irrlelevance when gauging whether a player should either 

• play
  • burn in hell / sell

Too much black and white argument of course , he is a good player in poor form so give him a rest. Asset value or ego or " international status" should never be part of the equation only the good of the team.