Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

21 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

think we have to learn to just enjoy it. that's what i've decided. it was the same with schlupp, with dyer, even with someone as good as kante. sensational players to watch sometimes, but very capable of making you actually laugh out loud at the sheer stupidity of some of their touches. just roll with it and enjoy it innit. 

if one option is chilwell making 10 runs from the edge of our box to the edge of their's and completing a dribble or making a successful pass 6 or 7 times, but falling over or just running straight out of play 2 or 3 times, and the other option is he just passes it to jonny evans every time, i know which one i'd prefer. 

Too few football fans enjoy imperfection. 

I used to enjoy Frank Sinclair's gaffs. Super player but prone to horrific footballing suicide. The more grotesque the better for Frank.

This slating of Chilwell does my head in. We have England's left back for Christ's sake, not a thing that we have said too often in our history.

I have been watching Leicester for 60 years & he is up there with Nish & Rofe as the best I have seen in that position. But it seems we have to be able to barrack somebody, perhaps we should bring Gray back in so that he can be abused & possibly take the heat off Chilly.

Any club in the Prem would be delighted to have him & probably will shortly, I suppose lots of people will be happy then

• Like 2

Just now, Angus Scott said:

This slating of Chilwell does my head in. We have England's left back for Christ's sake, not a thing that we have said too often in our history.

I have been watching Leicester for 60 years & he is up there with Nish & Rofe as the best I have seen in that position. But it seems we have to be able to barrack somebody, perhaps we should bring Gray back in so that he can be abused & possibly take the heat off Chilly.

Any club in the Prem would be delighted to have him & probably will shortly, I suppose lots of people will be happy then

Nope, they will moan like crazy and depending how successful his replacement is, they may continue to moan .......

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Nope, they will moan like crazy and depending how successful his replacement is, they may continue to moan .......

No way is he in Nish's class that is ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

It’s all about opinions, I’ve been supporting us for over 50 yrs and think he is bang average.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Claridge said:

It’s all about opinions, 

I'm glad you said that. I think you're right btw and it also gives me the perfect excuse to say my piece!

I do rate Chilwell highly, certainly more than average though I'd hesitate to go much more than that. I'd certainly not offer an opinion on whether he's the best LB we've ever had though I'd say he's amongst the best... 'best' is so subjective anyway.

For me, his pluses are that's quick and direct. His charges forward can put us on the front foot. However, I get the impression that he often doesn't know what to do when he gets there! He maybe doesn't trust himself as it seems to me that he can take the overly cautious option in retaining possession (i.e. a backwards pass that loses the momentum we've gained) His passing and crossing has become worse of late and I hope that's just a phase he's going through and is confidence related. Defensively, he does switch off - particularly on his post and he will lose track of runners. 

His game has improved markedly over the years but he appears to have plateaued, maybe even stagnated, of late. He's young enough to learn though, and I do expect his positioning and reading of the game to improve further. 

I suppose, yes, in some respects. As I recall, Schlupp was perhaps a little more headless than Chilwell though, and more robust/aggressive. But that's off the top of my head, I'd have to revisit memories of Schlupp - my treasured recollections are of his wayward shooting! (Chilwell seems to be very half hearted in that regard, like he doesn't even want to shoot, doesn't want the responsibility. As I say, he seems to lack confidence at times)   

I think both of them lack a footballing brain and technical  ability. They have excellent physical attributes, but I’m not sure schlupp has improved and I’m doubtful Chilwell will.  Obviously it’s the vast sums mentioned for his services, that makes some people look at his negatives, maybe more harshly.

• Like 1

I’m a big Chilwell fan and it can’t help that our own ‘fans’? have been giving him stick, but what’s happened to him? 
Where’s his confidence gone? He literally looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of months back

I think Chilwell’s lack of form has been the biggest change of all in our performances. He can’t seem to find a pass at the moment
It’s bizarre...

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I’m a big Chilwell fan and it can’t help that our own ‘fans’? have been giving him stick, but what’s happened to him? 
Where’s his confidence gone? He literally looks a shadow of the player he was a couple of months back

I think Chilwell’s lack of form has been the biggest change of all in our performances. He can’t seem to find a pass at the moment
It’s bizarre...

Fock me, this has to be the most ironic post ever

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s bizarre...

I hate to go over old ground but he could never find a pass anyway,

just seems to be more obvious on the back of a defeat than a win,

nothing changed it’s like others say and I’ve been saying for 2-3 season now that he’s an average player at best,

you’ll get the odd 7-8/10 off him once in a blue moon,

but generally 4-6/10 most other weeks

Another poor game but in that first half he was playing almost as a CB with Barnes as a wing back. I can only assume Brendan told him to do that, to mirror Villa's 3 at the back. That was a very poor decision from him because Chilwell didn't know whether he was coming or going. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Another poor game but in that first half he was playing almost as a CB with Barnes as a wing back. I can only assume Brendan told him to do that, to mirror Villa's 3 at the back. That was a very poor decision from him because Chilwell didn't know whether he was coming or going. 

Brendan does seem desperate to play 3 at the back atm. Did it more explicitly at Newcastle and at home to Villa and Southampton. But also effectively did it at West Ham, Burnley and now at Villa by tucking Fuchs/Chilwell in. Thought it was to do with Fuchs not being a bucaneering wing back at 34 but the fact he did it today with Chilwell and had Barnes at wing back suggests that's not the reason. 

Tbh thought Chilwell played the position okay, that 2nd half header was superb. 

• Like 1

Other than Perez, there was no poor performances. Scapegoating Chilwell is pointless. The main issue is that there were too many 5 or 6s out of 10, there was nothing special to light the spark. If anything Chilwell kept us in the game with a goal face clearance. 

1 minute ago, Ian Nacho said:

Other than Perez, there was no poor performances. Scapegoating Chilwell is pointless. The main issue is that there were too many 5 or 6s out of 10, there was nothing special to light the spark. If anything Chilwell kept us in the game with a goal face clearance. 

I think maybe some of the players can’t handle the big game pressure. Hence the 5/6 out of 10s. Scared to make a mistake or start hiding and can’t battle for it when it gets scrappy. 

• Like 1