Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

What's wrong with this world? 39 dead

Some people are so desperate for a better life they'll do anything to get to where they believe could provide it. 

The traffickers know this and will extort from them whatever they're able to pay. 

That's all the traffickers care about. Money. Human lives are irrelevant to them as long as they get paid. 

They're exploiting people's desperation and the authorities inability to stop it happening.

It's why I personally felt that some of the behaviour from some politicians in the 2015 migrant crisis was deeply irresponsible.

• Like 2

The privileged lives we lead are a dream to enormous parts of the rest of the world, like all human beings, these people strive for a better life.

Our greed and governments leave them with virtually no option but to risk their lives.

Meanwhile 

Image result for public schoolboys uk

• Sad 1

People who are willing to step into overcrowded dinghies in the Med, lock themselves into airtight cargo lorries, stow away in the cargo holds of jumbo jets, etc., etc., are - in my opinion - among the bravest people on planet Earth.

They must be so desperate. What a tragic situation for all those people yesterday.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Collymore said:

I get all of that but the physical action of closing and locking the door on that amount of people in a confined space is no different to pulling the trigger on a machine gun. 

Like I said, the traffickers don’t care about that. They’ve just got paid. And whoever is caught with the bodies is probably just the fall guy. It’s callous and evil, and it’s not going to change until the origin countries are made more desirable to live in. 

A terribly tragic story and shows how vulnerable people who will risk everything including their lives to get to this country trafficked by greedy unscrupulous individuals making money on peoples hopes and dreams.  what is it specifically about this country that makes so many people desperate to get here, these people are not happy staying in a safe country in Europe or elsewhere they specifically cross dozens of safe countries just to get here. you cannot just go after the traffickers but you need to get to the root of why this country specifically is the chosen destination for tens of thousands of people.

38 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

A terribly tragic story and shows how vulnerable people who will risk everything including their lives to get to this country trafficked by greedy unscrupulous individuals making money on peoples hopes and dreams.  what is it specifically about this country that makes so many people desperate to get here, these people are not happy staying in a safe country in Europe or elsewhere they specifically cross dozens of safe countries just to get here. you cannot just go after the traffickers but you need to get to the root of why this country specifically is the chosen destination for tens of thousands of people.

If these people listen to the stories, true or not, about free healthcare, free education, free housing and free money, they're going to come here.

Absolutely tragic.

Drove past a few lorries today and it made me think how desperate they were to enter the UK, in particular having the huge courage of doing so in one in a -20-plus contained environment.

Hope this tragedy creates a much stronger catalyst for change in monitoring vehicle checks in transport coming onto the UK.

It has been happening for too long now.

11 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

People who are willing to step into overcrowded dinghies in the Med, lock themselves into airtight cargo lorries, stow away in the cargo holds of jumbo jets, etc., etc., are - in my opinion - among the bravest people on planet Earth.

They must be so desperate. What a tragic situation for all those people yesterday.

It's hard to imagine how desperate some of them must be. Others however seem to have this perception that coming to the UK will solve everything.

From what I see that's not always the case, I'm sure it's maybe better than what they had. But some of the factories I've seen in Leicester, are just modern day sweat shops, crap conditions. I honestly wouldn't use half the toilets, rubbish hours, minimum pay, long hours, essentially forced overtime.

How many of these places pass health and safety laws I dont know. We see several breaches of fire regs especially.

The guys they are working for are rolling in money, providing clothes to top shop, boohoo, etc. 

But I honestly could not stomach the conditions they work in and then the knock on is the conditions they then live in crap bedsits, we've even seen some living in the places they work.

Sorry for the loss of lives. But if anything they are not likely to realise any dream by coming here.

Politicals and war have ****ed the world granted and I've no idea what the solution is, but coming to Britain is not the answer for all of them.

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

If these people listen to the stories, true or not, about free healthcare, free education, free housing and free money, they're going to come here.

No.

This isn't it. 

There are two primary routes causing people to be trafficked here and neither involves them having a choice in their destination.  

One involves people trafficking to work effectively in sweatshops in this country as modern slaves. The other involves trafficking into prostitution. 

The idea that they've willingly got in to come here is certainly possible but it's more likely that there was no choice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, HappyHamza said:

No.

This isn't it. 

There are two primary routes causing people to be trafficked here and neither involves them having a choice in their destination.  

One involves people trafficking to work effectively in sweatshops in this country as modern slaves. The other involves trafficking into prostitution. 

The idea that they've willingly got in to come here is certainly possible but it's more likely that there was no choice. 

This. These people will most likely have been kidnapped/duped/manipulated and probably had no idea where their final destination was going to be. 

10 hours ago, MattP said:

Awful, awful story. People traffickers really are among the lowest people to walk this planet.

Not really any different to slavers. We like to think we've done away with things of the past and moved on.

We really haven't.

Terrible tragedy

Had to listen to this conversation between two colleagues at work this afternoon:

"why have they opened a book of condolence for a bunch of criminals"

"yeah, I mean they were entering the country illegally, what do they expect?"

I despair, I really do.

12 hours ago, Nalis said:

Sad thing the 'masterminds' will get away with it, the guy who drove the lorry is basically a small cog in the process albeit he surely knew exactly what he was doing.

Not necessarily. If he was solely taking the trailer on an onward journey and the trailer was sealed when he picked it up in Felixstowe and had a fake manifest document declaring a fake cargo, he wouldn't have been able to open the doors without breaking the seal and to do that would potentially be a disciplinary offence, risking the loss of a contract/earnings. He would have had faith in the paperwork being genuine.

My guess is he was fulfilling a contract to deliver the trailer and believed it to be a legitimate deal.

On 24/10/2019 at 19:35, HappyHamza said:

No.

This isn't it. 

Are you sure?

2 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

In the vast majority of cases from the far East that's the route 

Except it appears, in this instance, that is not the case, They weren’t victims being brought here to work in sweatshops or into a life of prostitution, it appears they paid for illegal entry in this country.