Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Brighton (A) pre match

I can only imagine this is how far in the future my daughter thinks Christmas is away.

I wish I supported England FC, it would make these breaks mildly more bearable.

So dull.

So, to Brighton.

Anyone brave enough to suggest a different line-up?

Rest Ricardo, bring in Justin? 

Albrighton for Barnes?

Give Gray a start over Perez?

Certainly none of the above from me, but nice considerations to have. 

I kind of liked it when we were average, circa 2010, this pressure....eish! 

1 hour ago, Out Foxed said:

i don't disagree he's playing well but i don't see why we would change a winning formula and risk unbalance. Perez does good work down the sideline and and edge of the box, is getting better at holding the ball up and interplay along the flank. he creates space and tires the defense which affords Gray greater opportunities with his direct running and speed when he comes on. 

Yes, I appreciate your point entirely and it would have been a very odd and crass thing to leave him out when he'd just scored a hatrick! However, prior to that, whilst I had seen work rate, commitment and technical ability, I hadn't see much in the way of contributory effect. We use this term 'doing the dirty work' but that can be a lame excuse for someone at times who you really want to see succeed and  isn't quite making the grade. I believe he might eventually. However, I always believe in playing your best or most in form players in the present time without sentiment and, his last two games for me, his contribution has for me been questionable and also at times potentially expensive in the amount he gives up possession so easily, he is incredibly lightweight. Presumably Rodgers in taking off also felt that more of or a different contribution was required also. Gray provided that on each occasion, was more decisive and contributed for me, more in his cameos than Perez had all game. Praet also has a much more vital effect on the team also for me. So yes, I do agree that you should think twice before changing a winning formula but, with the exception of one game, I would suggest that the winning has been achieved despite and not because of Perez, he just happened to start those games before being substituted. If I could only choose one player out of him and Praet for our team Perez, despite his price tag would come a very distant second. 

Gray is clearly best off the bench, where he can use his pace to full advantage.  I'd also say Perez has been better than Barnes the last couple of games, where Harvey has tended to disappear for long stretches (though he seems to have one or two scintillating moments per match).  If there were to be any change it should be getting Praet into the lineup, not Gray, because he absolutely looks the nuts every time he gets on the pitch.  But I suppose you're not going to change the lineup when the team is on the roll this one is.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

I can only imagine this is how far in the future my daughter thinks Christmas is away.

I wish I supported England FC, it would make these breaks mildly more bearable.

So dull.

So, to Brighton.

Anyone brave enough to suggest a different line-up?

Rest Ricardo, bring in Justin? 

Albrighton for Barnes?

Give Gray a start over Perez?

Certainly none of the above from me, but nice considerations to have. 

I kind of liked it when we were average, circa 2010, this pressure....eish! 

Benching Ricardo for J.J would be suicidally dumb (I realise you haven't advocated it, just picking up the conversation). If Brighton win today, and they definitely could, they'll be in 5th. They've been playing well and have had a lot of harsh and puzzling VAR decisions go against them. Potter has instilled in them a lot of fight and confidence on top of an excellent system of play. We need our best game against them, and playing someone who showed weakness against a League 1 side over arguably our best player isn't going to help.

Despite an iffy start Gray's reacted so well to his training. I would love to see another 30 minutes of him but he's not edgeing Perez from the side... yet. You have the feeling there's more to come from Gray. I'm actually looking forward to see him play and stake more and more of claim.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Benching Ricardo for J.J would be suicidally dumb (I realise you haven't advocated it, just picking up the conversation). If Brighton win today, and they definitely could, they'll be in 5th. They've been playing well and have had a lot of harsh and puzzling VAR decisions go against them. Potter has instilled in them a lot of fight and confidence on top of an excellent system of play. We need our best game against them, and playing someone who showed weakness against a League 1 side over arguably our best player isn't going to help.

Totally agree.

5th?, sounds sarcastic, but I really hadn't noticed that, crazy! come on Brighton. 

Unchangeable is the only route, I just like juggling the pieces around because i'm a nerd like that and my middle name is Tinkerman. 

• Like 1

Regards selecting Gray, I've got to put my hand up and admit I think he's looked much improved coming on recently. 

But I still wouldn't start him yet to be honest. 

Perez might be a bit more low key but he's part of some super link up play down our right. Has a really good flow now with YT and Ricky.

• Like 1