Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Brighton (A) pre match

Very confident on this one, because Graham Potter has changed Brighton's approach to playing football which will help us make our class count. I really admire what Potter has done actually, that was a team that clung on to Premier League survival by the thinnest of margins and yet has them playing a really nice style and so far being quite effective too. For me he's actually done a better job than either Solskjaer or Emery as his team has a much clearer identity despite lacking the ability to heavily dip into the transfer market.

I think they will try to play a good game of football, have some nice spells, and ultimately get beaten as our midfield dream team of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison win the midfield battle.

• Like 4

I think if we get an early goal, we will cruise -- otherwise, it might be a tough fight (although the absence of Dunk might change that). 

Looking at our next stretch of games, it would be nice if Barnes and Perez could get on the score sheet a few times to build confidence -- also so we don't need to search for a goal-scoring winger in January. Right now, they aren't doing poorly, but are wide men are certainly the weakest part of the team (the other 7 could start for any team in England).

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very confident on this one, because Graham Potter has changed Brighton's approach to playing football which will help us make our class count. I really admire what Potter has done actually, that was a team that clung on to Premier League survival by the thinnest of margins and yet has them playing a really nice style and so far being quite effective too. For me he's actually done a better job than either Solskjaer or Emery as his team has a much clearer identity despite lacking the ability to heavily dip into the transfer market.

I think they will try to play a good game of football, have some nice spells, and ultimately get beaten as our midfield dream team of Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison win the midfield battle.

Agree with you for the most part, but I think you'll find that Brighton have spent a lot more than you might think.  They spent £60m in the summer making them 8th in the table of net spends and I believe they brought a lot of players the previous year, more than £100m over two years without bringing significant funds in.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agree with you for the most part, but I think you'll find that Brighton have spent a lot more than you might think.  They spent £60m in the summer making them 8th in the table of net spends and I believe they brought a lot of players the previous year, more than £100m over two years without bringing significant funds in.

It's not as much as spending 130m on one centre back and a right back though!

Think Gray might come in for Perez. Can't say he wouldn't deserve it if so. 

Bonus for us that Dunk is missing. Seems to be a key cog in that Brighton defence.

We have to watch out for their key players though - Maupay, Connolly (who has come from nowhere recently?!), Gross & Propper. They seem to be involved in their goals quite a bit. Contain them and I think we'll be fine. I don't expect them to be a defensive-minded team but they will be well-organised under Potter. 

Brighton have been playing some quality stuff and have gone a little under the radar in the media. Same approach as I’ve said each game, play with the same hunger and pressing from the front and our quality will price too much for them. They have a young attacker Connelly I think, who chases everything like Vardy so going to have to contain him down our right hand side.

that means a definite no to starting Gray as Pérez does Better at chasing and closing down.

Do the basics and we have nobody to fear, but have to stay hungry and one game at a time.

2 minutes ago, holyfox said:

Brighton have been playing some quality stuff and have gone a little under the radar in the media. Same approach as I’ve said each game, play with the same hunger and pressing from the front and our quality will price too much for them. They have a young attacker Connelly I think, who chases everything like Vardy so going to have to contain him down our right hand side.

that means a definite no to starting Gray as Pérez does Better at chasing and closing down.

Do the basics and we have nobody to fear, but have to stay hungry and one game at a time.

Looked very poor today outclassed by a poor Man u side although they played better than normal

9 hours ago, holyfox said:

Albrighton is our best inger defensively but let them worry about stopping us and just pick our strongest XI.  We shouldn't be basing our team selection on trying to stop Brighton.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's done a great job so far, he's made a difference in terms of style and quality of play especially given the quality of players he has there. It's nice to see and English manager that isn't the usual bunch (Allardyce etc) given an opportunity. Be interested to see how he does for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Think Gray might come in for Perez. Can't say he wouldn't deserve it if so. 

Bonus for us that Dunk is missing. Seems to be a key cog in that Brighton defence.

We have to watch out for their key players though - Maupay, Connolly (who has come from nowhere recently?!), Gross & Propper. They seem to be involved in their goals quite a bit. Contain them and I think we'll be fine. I don't expect them to be a defensive-minded team but they will be well-organised under Potter. 

Brighton have an incredibly astute youth system, both for scouting really young players and developing them. Connolly and Alzate promoted into the first team by Potter this year, not to mention MacAllister being one of Boca Juniors' most important players, with others like Percy Tau at Club Brugge and Ben White at Leeds earning rave reviews, the future looks very bright for them in that regard. 

Their appointing Potter makes perfect sense really, his experience and record with youth has been amazing, particularly with Swansea he managed to make something out of players who were nothing - Daniel James being the prime example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Average side and Potter is unbelievably overrated. Expect 3 points.

They are tactically naive. Potter get a lot of praise but they dont seem very well coached in terms if defending. 

Brighton have been fairly decent in patches this season under Potter but I want us to go there and dominate with a swagger of a top four side. If it was Man City or Liverpool they would so I hope we do, we all think we are at that level now. No reason why not, the players will never be so confident and JV has had a week in the sun preparing. 👍

Edited by TamworthFoxes
Typo
  • Like 2