Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2019/2020

11 hours ago, urban fox said:

Ogs talking about needing to win these games if wanting to challenge for top four. The man is delusional. They will be lucky to finish in top half at this rate.lol

It was a totally bizarre comment. Surely Eddie Howe has more reason to focus on the top 4, yet he wouldn't dream of making such a silly statement.

The MOTD2 crew are so much better than MOTD1! Maybe it's because they have more time to cover the game, but I thought that was superb analysis. Even for Palace they analyzed that corner to a good degree of detail.

Maybe if we lost I wouldn't have been so complimentary, but that was pretty good I think!

• Like 2

I know we naturally know more about our club than those from the outside, but it never fails to amaze me (and disappoint me) just how little research is done on any teams outside the "top 6" before the start of the season. Yes, there was the odd mention alongside Wolves of us to potentially break the top 6 but it's only really now that anyone is finally starting to take note. 

Similarly to the title winning season, we are also given shoddy limited coverage early doors too. Cahill and Saha on Skysports because none of the usual see our game glamorous enough to show up to. If that was 10th place Man United on today it'd have been a full studio of whinging red devils talking about how many hundreds and hundreds of millions they're going to spend on Kane, Maddison and the rest of the ****ing world. 

We'll also hear the same old shit about "if Vardy gets injured" etc etc off the likes of Souness and Merson who are still so cut up that they got made to look like idiots throughout 2015/16. 

Then after we break the top 4, the inevitable meetings will start to gather again about a Euro Super League. Love that we are causing a stir but enjoy it while it lasts because they'll all do everything they can to make sure the likes of Leicester doing this doesnt happen very often, if ever. again.  

• Like 4

This whole var thing is absolutely ridiculous. Wish there was consistency with decisions.

Mina on son - there is contact but the way son goes down means it's not a peno.

Albrighton on mane - the way mane goes down is very theatrical but there is contact so he is entitled to go down and a peno.

Hmmmm:dunno:

21 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

This whole var thing is absolutely ridiculous. Wish there was consistency with decisions.

Mina on son - there is contact but the way son goes down means it's not a peno.

Albrighton on mane - the way mane goes down is very theatrical but there is contact so he is entitled to go down and a peno.

Hmmmm:dunno:

Arsenal got completely done over by consistency too. At Sheffield United VAR completely ignored a clear shirt grab for them, then the following week they got a goal disallowed for virtually nothing. Even if you could argue there was something in it, there reason they didnt get the decision at Sheffield United was said to be because VAR doesn't now go actively looking to make decisions, just overturn obvious ones. 

The way it was used at the World Cup created more penalties and better drama, but most importantly the ref on the pitch still had complete control by using the off field monitors. Keep that model or ditch it. 

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Arsenal got completely done over by consistency too. At Sheffield United VAR completely ignored a clear shirt grab for them, then the following week they got a goal disallowed for virtually nothing. Even if you could argue there was something in it, there reason they didnt get the decision at Sheffield United was said to be because VAR doesn't now go actively looking to make decisions, just overturn obvious ones. 

The way it was used at the World Cup created more penalties and better drama, but most importantly the ref on the pitch still had complete control by using the off field monitors. Keep that model or ditch it. 

Still prefer the RFU version: replay it on the stsdium monitors so everyone can see it, including the ref so they can then make an informed decision.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillippaT said:

Still prefer the RFU version: replay it on the stsdium monitors so everyone can see it, including the ref so they can then make an informed decision.

Don't you think that'll just cause uproar either way though? Imagine a decision even remotely favourable for the home side being shown and then not being given. The pressure to give it will be even worse. Similar to how they don't show contentious replays. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Don't you think that'll just cause uproar either way though? Imagine a decision even remotely favourable for the home side being shown and then not being given. The pressure to give it will be even worse. Similar to how they don't show contentious replays. 

Either there's an uproar due to ignorance or there's an uproar due to partisanship, which exists anyway...

Just now, PhillippaT said:

Either there's an uproar due to ignorance or there's an uproar due to partisanship, which exists anyway...

I think where it varies to Rugby is, we are using it for contentious decisions that have an element of interpretation to the rules about them. In Rugby (from my more limited knowledge) it seems to be very absolute. As in, this was a try, he was offside, this went forward. 

For example if you put that Alli handball up on the screen today, no one in that stadium is going to see there's a push on him. All theyll see is Alli's hand and the reaction to that will almost force the referee into giving it. 

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

I think where it varies to Rugby is, we are using it for contentious decisions that have an element of interpretation to the rules about them. In Rugby (from my more limited knowledge) it seems to be very absolute. As in, this was a try, he was offside, this went forward. 

For example if you put that Alli handball up on the screen today, no one in that stadium is going to see there's a push on him. All theyll see is Alli's hand and the reaction to that will almost force the referee into giving it. 

That example is why multiple camera angles are needed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillippaT said:

That example is why multiple camera angles are needed. 

I mean more, they'll only see it from one point of view. 

I dont see what was wrong with the way it was done at the world cup. It gave us so much more drama and was still the referees call. 

I'd just hate for our season to be ruined by it somehow.

7 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

It's not always obvious in rugby either. Look at the try Wales scored against France I think in the quarters. They were all trying to work out if the ball was passed forward or not (no lines drawn or anything, just seeing a few angles. It wasn't obvious.

Again, the rules in rugby a lot of the time are up for debate and they are possibly less clear than football at times. So it's actually a pretty like for like comparison. Rugby make it work really well though, all referees including linesmen and TMO's discussing together, replays shown on screen, fans knowing what's going on etc.

VAR also works pretty well in the Bundesliga, referees use the screen to view games. It can work but it needs to be made better in the PL.

• Like 3