Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smudger63

1982 FA Cup Semi final

When Mark gkes up to lift the FA Cup, we'll be there...the only thing we got to cheer was Grittar winning the National.

It made me enjoy 2016 that little bit more.

3 hours ago, Eamonn said:

When Mark gkes up to lift the FA Cup, we'll be there...the only thing we got to cheer was Grittar winning the National.

It made me enjoy 2016 that little bit more.

My Dad told me to bet on Grittar. I blew my pocket money on the gold cup. Good horse that.

I was very sad after this match. I really want us to win the FA cup for the young me, but would rather we won the league - ahhh but we did that. That was a good spurs side. They were almost likeable in those days.

edit - the adverts are bloody amazing. And this all makes sense - my irrational dislike of Garth Crookes. And Hoddle wearing a dress.

edit 2.0 That is the worst own goal of all time. I had literally obliterated it from my mind. Thanks @smudger63 for clearing my suppressed memory blockage.

Edited by trabuch

Guest Markyblue

Remember it like yesterday sadly enough. Had half the holt end , where have all the years gone.🤔 my biggest disappointment following the boys, fa cup please brendon,  for city fans of a certain age its the holy grail.

Thought it was going to be our year. Before the quarter final draw was made I was praying that we would get Shrewsbury at home. Cycled home at lunchtime on the Monday to listen to the draw at 12.30pm on Radio 2. Really delighted with the outcome.

The only tickets I could get for the Shrewsbury game was in their end, first row of the East Stand. They weren’t too concerned with segregation in those days.

Probably the most amazing City game I have seen, with all sorts of twists and turns. At the final whistle, I thought that if we could get through this match then we had every chance of stepping into the hallowed Wembley turf.

I was hoping we would draw QPR in the semi-final, but we got the best team left-Spurs.

I wasn’t at the game - listened to Alan Parry’s and Peter Jones’ commentary on radio 2. 

• Like 1

Remember that as a bad day all round.

Not only the match (which was dire) but my car - Mk 3 Cortina - giving up the ghost on the Aston Expressway, a blazing row with my girlfriend (who cleared off to New St and got the train back to Leicester) and an unfortunate encounter with a group of pissed up Villa fans.

Hated bloody Birmingham ever since...

Yes we’d beaten Shrewsbury in the quarters in an absolutely exhilarating game and I thought it was our year. We never got going and I remember being absolutely gutted at the end. It would be huge to those of a certain age/pedigree if we could ever win the FA Cup - that was always the height of my aspirations

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner

back in the day the FA cup was a massive competition and it's rather sad to see the way it's been devalued over the years with ties played over 4 or 5 days and the bigger sides fielding reserves. The low point as far as i'm concerned has to be the final a few years back with that shite rapper performing the pre match "entertainment" :P

39 minutes ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Yes we’d beaten Shrewsbury in the quarters in an absolutely exhilarating game and I thought it was our year. We never got going and I remember being absolutely gutted at the end. It would be huge to those of a certain age/pedigree if we could ever win the FA Cup

when we finally manage to lift that hallowed silverware we can truly then claim to be MASSIVE.

We used to be a great cup side and I could never understand how come we had never actually won it. Three league cups, lost count of how many div2/championships,  league 1, and a premiership trophy. It is the only significant gap in our cabinet and it really would look bloody fantastic next to the champions league trophy next year.:scarf::please:

11 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Remember it like yesterday sadly enough. Had half the holt end , where have all the years gone.🤔 my biggest disappointment following the boys, fa cup please brendon,  for city fans of a certain age its the holy grail.

It is! Go for it Brendan!

Edited by Gordon the Great
spelling

My recollection from that day (apart from the football) was the anti-Semitic songs in the pub pre-match and Don't cry for me Argentina played over and over on the juke box. I also recall walking down a street towards Villa Park surrounded by hundreds of City fans when a mini bus stopped in the middle of the road and out poured some of the Spudenham finest hoolies who piled into us. It wasn't a well thought out plan but that sort of thing was almost expected in those days. 

It was a great day, up until about half time.

We'd had a load of beers in The Kings Head early mornning, caught the footy special to Witton, 23000 City fans in the ground.

We were doing ok until half time, then it just got worse and worse.

Crooks scored, Tommy Williams broke his leg, Ian Wilson conceded that grotesque.  

You just had to stand there and take the taunting from the Tottenham fans.  

The footy special back to Leicester was in total silence, until after an hour someone said "well, there's always next year".

An awful day in the end.   Never watched the highligts in full.   Just wanted to forget about it.

And then those bstards jammily beat us in the League Cup final at Wembley in 1999.   No surprise we don't like them.

But 2016 made up for it.   Sweet revenge!   :)

• Like 2

I still remember it to this day, it took weeks to pick myself up after.

When they sent that live cockerel on the pitch I was longing for a fox to be let on, but that wasn't going to happen was it!

A great few hours in the Jolly Sailor pub in Tamworth before the game anyway.

Edited by melrose
spelling

Whilst it ended up a really depressing day, I have to confess I didn't think it would be at least another 37 years before we'd play in another FA Cup Semi Final.   If I'd known that at the time, I would have been even more depressed.   Which is almost impossible to comprehend.

Mind you, that video does bring back some good memories of the times:

Loads of terracing.  

No matter how much they try and tell us; all seater stadia aren't as good.

A rubbish pitch.

The middle 1/4 barely had a blade of grass on it.    I know it's not for the football purists, but I used to like a bit of mud!

Proper tackles/fouls.

I lost count of how many "tackles" there were, that would be straight red cards today.   You can't beat a good old crunching foul to lift the spirits of the crowd.   Yeah I realise that the modern no-contact version is safer for the players, but it's all too nicey nicey now if you ask me.

Player's entrance.

This was the best bit.   In those days the teams always came out separately (except for the final).   So you could cheer your team, and then boo hiss and sing rude songs as the opposition came out. 

Post match handshakes only.

There was also none of this namby pamby shaking hands before you start the game.   You're supposed to be hating the oppo at this point, not being nice.    Shaking hands is for after the match when you have finished trying to kill your opponent!

Anyway - those are just a few of my "old football was great / modern football is shite" memories!  :)

Edited by worth_the_wait

• 2 months later...