Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Tbf I don't think he was good or bad.

He was sort of made the opposite of a "scapegoat" (hate that word) because, for example, apparently the reason we lost at Bournemouth was because he came off. Despite this, during the first half, I recall him missing two good chances.

I just think he doesn't offer enough for us. I don't think he's a bad player, and perhaps works better in a two, but basic stuff he doesn't do right at times.

Fair play - I actually thought we looked better when he played last year. Really took his chances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Play Iheancho from the start for 90 mins for 10 games in the EPL and his minutes per goal would fall through the floor. It's a flawed stat in this context. It's far easier to come off the bench for 15 mins here and there and score the odd goal than it is to start every week and consistently score goals.

I can’t either or agree or disagree with that - just a guess. Doesn’t mean anything.

His overall play last season was very good and he added goals - I thought he looked a really good player and he looked good consistently.

I definitely think there's a market out there for him and he's had a good enough return that we could certainly sell him for a decent amount. However, I think he'll go next season and, tbh, 2021 is the year we have to buy the Vardy replacement. I think we can get out a season with Nacho, Vardy and Perez alternating but one of them needs to go next year (or two) to make way for a proper first team number 9.

4 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Play Iheancho from the start for 90 mins for 10 games in the EPL and his minutes per goal would fall through the floor. It's a flawed stat in this context. It's far easier to come off the bench for 15 mins here and there and score the odd goal than it is to start every week and consistently score goals.

Wow! That’s quite the untested hypothesis...lol

Reality is that no one knows for certain until it is tried. There’s a colorable argument to be made for an opposite conclusion (more goals), but both are ultimately just fans hypothesizing on the Internet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drofmor55 said:

Should have scored last night...fantastic pass from Albrighton..a natural goalscorer ie Ings/Vardy/Kane would have been aware where the goalie was and taken it around him.  

5 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He'd have scored the very good chance Iheanacho missed, no doubt about that.

Seen Vardy (even Messi) miss same sort of chances. If it goes in between the keeper’s legs, the striker looks a genius but it’s not an open net nor similar nailed-on chance.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

I still think there’s a player in there somewhere, but to criticise the rest of the team for KI’s performance last night is just wrong.

He was consistently in the shadow of a defender. He just wasn’t looking to receive the ball.

He was, but sadly Luiz comfortably had him in his pocket all night after the early part of the game, while being isolated repeatedly and surrounded by a phalanx of defenders. The formation (or whatever it was or divulged into) last night simply did not play to Nacho’s strengths. He is neither big enough to bully defenders or successfully wrestle with them, not tall enough to win arial battles and knock down those long balls from the back, nor did Arsenal play a high line to try to play off the shoulder of the last defender.  The most productive games Nacho has played for us against EPL opposition has most often come in a 2-striker formation.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I can’t either or agree or disagree with that - just a guess. Doesn’t mean anything.

His overall play last season was very good and he added goals - I thought he looked a really good player and he looked good consistently.

It’s not a guess, it’s a statistical fact. Substitute strikers who season in season out barely start games are going to have better goals to minute ratios typically than someone who plays 90 minutes every week. That’s why goals to minute ratios for substitutes are by and large a pretty flawed statistic.

55 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Wow! That’s quite the untested hypothesis...lol

Reality is that no one knows for certain until it is tried. There’s a colorable argument to be made for an opposite conclusion (more goals), but both are ultimately just fans hypothesizing on the Internet.

And there’s a reason it’s not been tried, he’s not good enough. It’s obvious Rodgers barely trusts him, there’s a reason for that. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

And there’s a reason it’s not been tried, he’s not good enough. It’s obvious Rodgers barely trusts him, there’s a reason for that. 

Or simply because we have Vardy.

But Nacho not being better than Vardy does NOT prove your hypothesis.

BTW, let’s not move from hypothesis to hyperbole.

If Rodgers “barely trusts him”, he would unlikely be here (Slimani, Silva, Ghazzel, etc.). 

Edited by NaijaFox

44 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

It’s not a guess, it’s a statistical fact. Substitute strikers who season in season out barely start games are going to have better goals to minute ratios typically than someone who plays 90 minutes every week. That’s why goals to minute ratios for substitutes are by and large a pretty flawed statistic.

Ok mystic Larsson - who am I to argue!

• Haha 1

I got excited when there was supposed interest in him earlier in the window. Can’t see a future for him. Would love to cash in and put the money towards someone better like edouard or jovic. Though I can’t see it happening now. Too many average players in the squad who aren’t good enough for what we want to achieve.

9 hours ago, Sly said:

Exactly this. 

People seem to forget that Vardy didn’t exactly set the world alight against WBA. He looked better against Burnley, however he didn’t score. he hasn’t scored from open play this season, so statistically, he’s as effective as KI this season during open play :ph34r: 

I said the same about Amartey but his was his first game for two years. Some people would say it’s fine for certain players to have a poor game because it’s their first but not others. 

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Iheanacho as a lone striker is a waste of time and we've seen that for over three years now. As a supporting striker though he has some use so I'd keep him, unless we could get a decent fee and fund a move for Edouard.

Was coming to post the same. Of our three forwards, we have Nacho and Perez who the majority of the time are being played out position. Considering how much they cost we seriously need to find a way to utilise them properly. 

6 hours ago, Bert said:

I said the same about Amartey but his was his first game for two years. Some people would say it’s fine for certain players to have a poor game because it’s their first but not others. 

It wasn't his first game for 2 years and it wasn't the first time he's been poor. 

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

It wasn't his first game for 2 years and it wasn't the first time he's been poor. 

But it was his first competitive game for 2 months, which was a mighty fine excuse for other players 👍🏻

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but I'm still standing by what I said.

Not necessarily not good enough but doesn't offer enough.

Whoever quoted me and said Iheanacho could get 25 goals per season then, as I said at the time, I bet that never happens in his career.

Our attacking options after Vardy are shocking.

Can't play up front on his own, idk how many times we have to do it to realise. He was woeful but he needs to play close to someone else. Perez plays better more centrally, close to a striker and Iheanacho needs someone else with him so why do we refuse to do the obvious and put them up together?

• Like 3

Must have been watching a different game as he barely gave the ball away, held it up well, linked nicely. But he won't suit that sort of performance today. It goes into him and then there's nobody running beyond because they're all so used to doing Vardy doing that whilst they drop deep. The manager has got to coach that into them when we're going to be without Vardy.

• Like 4

Our problems lie further back than Iheanacho. Praet was anonymous today (perhaps a little rusty) Perez was Perez, once again, today. And Barnes' performances are getting frustratingly similar, he needs to strap on a pair. Those 3 offered nothing up top today coupled with Iheanacho feeding off scraps. 

• Like 3