Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

10 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I actually thought Puel was starting to get a tune out of him.Rodgers has obviously taken him out the firing line,put the final touches in and managed his appearances.He’s shown incredible patience.What must have gone through his head when we stuffed Newcastle and Southampton and he couldn’t get on.

In Puel's first season I'd agree, but Iheanacho regressed under Puel's second season imo.

8 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

My concern is that when he will get sick of being subbed when he has looked our most lively player and has scored our goal. Surely he must think "What the hell do l have to do to get a full game?".

Hopefully, he'll see that Rodgers is improving him so he'll stick around under him for a bit.

On 05/07/2020 at 16:31, Heathrow fox said:

I actually thought Puel was starting to get a tune out of him.Rodgers has obviously taken him out the firing line,put the final touches in and managed his appearances.He’s shown incredible patience.What must have gone through his head when we stuffed Newcastle and Southampton and he couldn’t get on.

I thought the complete opposite a couple of times he played Gray up front  whose not a striker instead of him . Surely that would knock your confidence when Gray is picked as a striker in front of you . 

Edited by baldeagle

I really am made up for him that things seem to be starting to go his way. It was never for the want of trying that he struggled to begin with, in my opinion. I hope he can push on and really cement himself as a back up and maybe even a sort of successor of sorts to Vardy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Rodgers also knew he wasnt ready.  I dont know what happened behind the scenes, but somehow when Kelechi did come back for that Everton game he was a transformed player.

The solution wasnt to keep playing him and with blind faith hoping he would just get better, he either needed to go out on loan or be worked on in training, the latter is what happened under Rodgers.

I have never seen a player transformed so much, or at least cannot remember it,  he is now at the point I am concerned we dont renew his contract.  Not only is he playing better, but he now actually acts like he cares, completely transformed, and I am proud he is a LCFC player.

It seems obvious to me, that Puel didn’t speak to the players who weren’t being  picked (Kings words). Kelechi is would’ve understandably have been a bit pee’d off and probably stopped giving a t0ss. He looked this way when he did get on very infrequently under Puel. 

Different management style (Rodgers suits Kelechi well), completely different player. Looks determined when he’s playing, looks like part of the squad, a complete transformation. 

I think he’s going to be a big player for us next season, especially with the potential for extra European games. 

36 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It seems obvious to me, that Puel didn’t speak to the players who weren’t being  picked (Kings words). Kelechi is would’ve understandably have been a bit pee’d off and probably stopped giving a t0ss. He looked this way when he did get on very infrequently under Puel. 

Different management style (Rodgers suits Kelechi well), completely different player. Looks determined when he’s playing, looks like part of the squad, a complete transformation. 

I think he’s going to be a big player for us next season, especially with the potential for extra European games. 

I think this is the rub of it.  From kings article it seemed very much that way with Puel. Even if not getting picked, players need to feel wanted and kept in the loop. It has been well documented that Puel was a poor communicator with his players. You cannot just stick up a team sheet and leave it at that. 

The way that BR often talks about the importance to the squad of players that are not getting regular starts, such as Kelechi, Albrighton and even the value of having someone like Matty James around the place shows an understanding of the psychology of players that Puel seemed to lack.

• Like 1

Deserved the disallowed goal. The more I think about it the more I’m mind blown that’s somehow a foul on the defender. Didn’t help that the tv coverage just brushed over it like I didn’t happen and wasn’t mentioned again. Still confident he’s got a huge part to play in the last few games though.

How good is his link up play btw? He seems consistently able to receive ball to feet under pressure, hold off the defender and find a pass to change the angle of the attack. And lets be honest JV isn't the best at that so we need somebody that can. Didn't know he had it in him. On top of that, he is also a really good poacher. He complements Vardy really well and BR should continue playing him as a second striker!

20 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

How good is his link up play btw? He seems consistently able to receive ball to feet under pressure, hold off the defender and find a pass to change the angle of the attack. And lets be honest JV isn't the best at that so we need somebody that can. Didn't know he had it in him. On top of that, he is also a really good poacher. He complements Vardy really well and BR should continue playing him as a second striker!

Definitely. The only question is how we best shape the team around the two of them. 

Frustrated he didn't get on the score sheet last night. Huge bit of bad luck with the disallowed goal, but 2 opportunities to properly test the keeper that he's not got hold of properly. But incredibly promising and he's looking a different player. 

• 1 month later...

https://www-goal-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.goal.com/en/amp/news/leicester-citys-iheanacho-might-have-fallen-under-bad/tudbpowzmj1sza6d168109s7?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goal.com%2Fen%2Fnews%2Fleicester-citys-iheanacho-might-have-fallen-under-bad%2Ftudbpowzmj1sza6d168109s7

Leicester City’s Iheanacho might have fallen under bad influence – Manu Garba
KUNLE FAYIGA
23/08/2020

Kelechi Iheanacho - Leicester City
AFRICAN ALL STARS
LEICESTER CITY
PREMIER LEAGUE
KELECHI IHEANACHO
The decorated youth coach sheds light on some of the things that are preventing the Nigeria international from flourishing as he should
Article continues below

2013 Under-17 World Cup-winning coach Manu Garba believes that Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho’s on-field struggles of late could be due to bad influences from friends off the pitch.

The 23-year-old Nigeria international was the star of the youth tournament in the United Emirates seven years ago which the Golden Eaglets lifted, with the forward himself winning both the Golden Boot and Golden Ball.

A number of suitors were soon in pursuit of the Taye Academy graduate, but it was ultimately Manchester City who won the race to sign him.

Editors' Picks
Champions League Team of the Season: No Messi or Ronaldo in Bayern-dominated XI
Forget Messi or De Bruyne: How 'phenomenal' Kimmich became Europe's most creative player
Chelsea ready to pay £90m Havertz asking price as Chilwell & Thiago Silva talks advance
Cheer up, Neymar: PSG's European future finally looks bright despite Bayern defeat
Having impressed with the City youth squad, he made an instant impact when he was drafted into the first team, scoring on his debut and going on to net 14 goals for the entire 2015-16 season.

Article continues below

His stock began to fall when Pep Guardiola arrived at the Etihad Stadium, and he was eventually sold to Leicester City for £25 million in 2017. Although he has shown flashes of brilliance on occasion, Iheanacho is not a first-team regular and has most often come off the bench in his 89 appearances, scoring 20 goals and providing 12 assists

Garba cites Iheanacho’s rapid rise to stardom, having come from a poor background, as a possible distraction which has prevented him from realising his potential.

“I’m still wondering how Kelechi didn’t emerge as one of the best in England,” he told The Athletic. “He might have fallen under bad influences from friends, coming from a poor background to an improved status. That can become a distraction when you are so young, but I have seen the old Iheanacho at Leicester.”

Garba recounts how Iheanacho was emotionally down following the demise of his mother two months before the 2013 African Under-17 Championship in Morocco, but remembered how the youngster still summoned the courage to score five times including a hat-trick in a 7-0 demolition of the Republic of Congo in the group phase.

“During the qualifying matches before the tournament against Niger, Guinea and Mali, he was our leading scorer,” Garba said, "but I can vividly remember two weeks before the last qualifying match against Mali, he lost his mother [to a short illness] and he was psychologically very low.

“Even his father couldn’t calm him down because he was so close to his mother. I had to use wisdom to calm him down and he made the team against Mali.”

Garba still believes that Iheanacho can be a valuable asset for Leicester and Brendan Rodgers, but only if they can help him refine some of the weaker elements of his game.

“Iheanacho is an asset to any club if the manager understands him, helps him and works on his off-the-ball contribution,” Garba exclaimed. “He will be useful coming behind the main striker because his final passes are inch-perfect and he can shoot from distance. He will be a good player for Leicester.”

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...