Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
egg_fried_rice

Succession Planning

The best run clubs in Europe scout managers ahead of time in a similar way they do with players. They identify managers that fit the philosophy and playing style they wish to implement, and often sound them out ahead of time. As I consider Leicester to be one of the best run clubs in Europe, I am pretty sure we will be doing the same.

I thought Carragher made an interesting point post match on Sky yesterday - that we were one of the most desirable jobs in Europe for those managers that just missed out on a job at the traditional top teams. So for me, we'd be looking at a similar bracket of managers come the next appointment.

If he doesn't get the Bayern job (or Dortmund if Favre goes), then I think someone like Nagelsmann at RB Leipzig would fit the bill perfectly - but I'm pretty sure we'd need Champions League to convince him.

Should Rodgers leave - be it next week, next season, or years from now - who do you think the club is keeping tabs on and who would you like to see come in?

• Like 2

If we got Champions league football and Rodgers left at the end of the season could we attract the likes of Ten Haag from Ajax. Probably on the radar of the top clubs. 

I worry we'd bring in someone like Steven Gerrard though. Either way I feel we'd get it right eventually 

29 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

The best run clubs in Europe scout managers ahead of time in a similar way they do with players. They identify managers that fit the philosophy and playing style they wish to implement, and often sound them out ahead of time. As I consider Leicester to be one of the best run clubs in Europe, I am pretty sure we will be doing the same.

I thought Carragher made an interesting point post match on Sky yesterday - that we were one of the most desirable jobs in Europe for those managers that just missed out on a job at the traditional top teams. So for me, we'd be looking at a similar bracket of managers come the next appointment.

If he doesn't get the Bayern job (or Dortmund if Favre goes), then I think someone like Nagelsmann at RB Leipzig would fit the bill perfectly - but I'm pretty sure we'd need Champions League to convince him.

Should Rodgers leave - be it next week, next season, or years from now - who do you think the club is keeping tabs on and who would you like to see come in?

A very important question indeed.  I'd be all about Nagelsmann but that's a stretch hire to be sure, even if we make the CL.  And I'm not sure why Ten Haag would leave Ajax - a team with a guaranteed CL berth every season and enough money to be competitive, unlike Celtic - for Leicester.  When he goes, it will be to one of the big boys.

Ten Haag is wanted by Bayern I believe so can't see him coming. Nagelsmann has a very similar job at RB Leipzig (the one just outside traditional elite) so I believe he would stay and build there rather than moving. I wouldn't be against giver Wilder a chance, he has really impressed me this season.

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

If we got Champions league football and Rodgers left at the end of the season could we attract the likes of Ten Haag from Ajax. Probably on the radar of the top clubs. 

I worry we'd bring in someone like Steven Gerrard though. Either way I feel we'd get it right eventually 

No chance we'd get Ten Haag.

He has the Bayern job if he wants it.

• Like 1

One of the major reasons we succeeded in 2015/16, I felt, is that we still had that consistency of personnel after Pearson left. Shakey and Walsh's presence, particularly the former, definitely helped the players in transitioning to new tactics while keeping the mentality and philosophy stable. Obviously there's loads of people behind the scenes that have been here for at least 10 years - in some cases 15, 20 or 25! - like Stowell, Rennie, Beaglehole, McAndrew, Sanders & Rudkin - most of whom have served in many roles in their time here while Rudkin in particular has climbed to the very top in terms of position, trust and high standards. I hope when Wes retires he's offered a coaching role too.

With the new training ground approaching I hope we continue to grow every aspect of the club so that when a new coach does come in, he could do so with as much ease as Brendan has and Claudio did.

Probably not a popular shout but we could do worse than Poch. he got spurs playing some neat attacking football. His downfall was the fact that he had a lot of disgruntled players due to the wage structure and no backing to bring in fresh blood. Add to that the players knew he was unhappy with the situation himself and its not hard to see why they started to slide.  I actually think he could perform well here given the excellent recruitment and willingness of the owners to provide reasonable level of backing in the transfer market.  All hypothetical of course because there is no vacancy and not likely to be one for some time to come.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'd take him in a heartbeat if Rodgers left.

I know some fans say "He hasn't won anything" but he moved Spurs miles forward and had them playing some superb football.

Always seemed a decent fella too when I had media dealings with him.

Yes and I think he would get the whole "project" thing and would actually jump at the chance after having to work under Levy for all those years. In my opinion he showed a level of loyalty above and beyond what was deserved. He did start to come across as a bit of a moaner towards the end but tbf it was somewhat understandable considering what he had to put up with.

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Pochettino, Ten Haag and Nagelsmann all have their sights set on clubs bigger than us, I hate to break it to you all. 

Us making the Champions League doesn’t automatically makes us really, really desirable unfortunately. 

Sad agree here.  Poch will get a big job, no questions asked. 

Ten Haag will move to a big club, he's got Ajax performing miracles, and Nagelsmann will probably be at Munich sooner rather than later as the hierachy of german football goes. 

Be interesting to see how Potter develops at Brighton. 

Tbf, whilst I'm not in denial about Rodgers one day leaving, if we finish top four this year and look like doing it again next year, there's really not many jobs he could be offered that represent a step up. 

How quickly people forget Spurs are actually a historically insignificant, unfashionable, mid table club. They're where they are because they got Champions League football and structured themselves well to stay there. 

But as soon as you slip and can't offer that anymore, someone else will nip in. That's us currently, @Stadt is right, qualifying once doesn't make you "massive." But qualifying back to back and making a habit of it does, for a time.

Last time, we were really unprepared for CL football, this time I've got much more confidence on our ability to capitalise on it and reinforce the squad intelligently, while the other big boys show no signs of learning how to recruit. 

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Pochettino, Ten Haag and Nagelsmann all have their sights set on clubs bigger than us, I hate to break it to you all. 

Us making the Champions League doesn’t automatically makes us really, really desirable unfortunately. 

But I think that's the point, there are very good managers with eyes on the top jobs but the top jobs aren't always available. We could attract a manager just a step down from the elite level, but we would be most likely be a stepping stone. We are more likely to get a top level manager who's been sacked than one on the way up.

If Newcastle can get Benitez and West Ham can attract Pelligrini we could get anyone.

Edited by Captain...

2 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Decent thread to make. Rodgers is proving he's a world class coach and it's inevitable he leaves at some point. But as you say, the way the club is run I think it would be quite seamless for another coach to step in, and even if they aren't as good, anyone with the right basic traits should be able to pick up from where he's left off, which is super encouraging to know as a Leicester City fan.

As for names, I'd be very wary of Favre. It's all going downhill for him fast at Dortmund and I think his insistence on a 4231 system is one reason why. Jesse Marsch of RB Salzburg would be the sort of person I'd go for. Young-ish with obvious coaching skills that is playing an attractive and effective style of football already. I'd even dare suggest Hassenhutl at Southampton for which I will probably get laughed at, but he's got a good style of play, it's just that Southampton don't have the players to pull it off, whereas we do. Ditto for Daniel Farke. Adi Hutter who was mentioned above is also a good shout. Maybe even Graham Potter? I've been quite impressed by him.

For me whenever the time comes, I'd be looking for a promising up and coming coach with new ideas and proven ability to develop players. But you never know what will happen, as it's also possible at some point we follow Spurs and go for a coach that can turn potential into actual trophies and go for a winner.

Regardless the club is in a great place and even if we lost some key players, our recruitment is so good that I'd expect another bunch of promising young players to come in and to build up another great core. It really is happy times to be a Leicester fan, and these days the upward growth feels sustainable, and not just a flash in the pan.

Edited by StriderHiryu