Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
egg_fried_rice

Succession Planning

I sometimes think people underestimate what we offer right now. Young teams like ours (with the just the right amount of experience) don't come around very often. Especially with owners like the ones we have, who give managers freedom, understanding and won't sell our best players unless we make a proper profit. It's quite rare.

When you add to that: the new training ground, the stadium expansion and maybe Champions League we offer more than some traditionally bigger clubs.

There's a chance to properly build something here for someone looking at the bigger picture.

Could see Potter doing well, simply because he've been through much of the same trip as manager as many of the players have been, given that he started in 3rd tier Sweden with Östersunds (which i'd approximate as National League, if not even a tier below that), and then over a few years dragging them up through to being a mid-table 1st tier (again approximately low-mid Championship, just above to where you're fairly certain that you won't flirt too much with relegation) and even managing to get through European Group stages, with a Coefficient comparable to NI's Crusaders

I'd like to see Rodgers at least through 20/21 (unless he completely loses the plot), but after that Potter could be an very interesting pick

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

A very important question indeed.  I'd be all about Nagelsmann but that's a stretch hire to be sure, even if we make the CL.  And I'm not sure why Ten Haag would leave Ajax - a team with a guaranteed CL berth every season and enough money to be competitive, unlike Celtic - for Leicester.  When he goes, it will be to one of the big boys.

....he seems to have a flaw!!!!

Too many games where they have blown comprehensive leads, he seems to have the touch of Wenger. Great going forward and very easy on the eye but vulnerable at the back. It cannot be a lack of finance, therefore there is an inability to merge a strong back line with the his midfield and forwards. Arsenals' problem was always their defence and Wenger never managed to resolve the problem after the Tony Adams era and having the enforcer of Viera in midfield extended their success.

Edited by sacreblueits442

8 minutes ago, brucey said:

Excellent man management (and by extension decent communication skills) is probably the most important characteristic for any potential manager to have when dealing with our players.

So you’re saying you want Puel back? Interesting!

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Decent thread to make. Rodgers is proving he's a world class coach and it's inevitable he leaves at some point. But as you say, the way the club is run I think it would be quite seamless for another coach to step in, and even if they aren't as good, anyone with the right basic traits should be able to pick up from where he's left off, which is super encouraging to know as a Leicester City fan.

As for names, I'd be very wary of Favre. It's all going downhill for him fast at Dortmund and I think his insistence on a 4231 system is one reason why. Jesse Marsch of RB Salzburg would be the sort of person I'd go for. Young-ish with obvious coaching skills that is playing an attractive and effective style of football already. I'd even dare suggest Hassenhutl at Southampton for which I will probably get laughed at, but he's got a good style of play, it's just that Southampton don't have the players to pull it off, whereas we do. Ditto for Daniel Farke. Adi Hutter who was mentioned above is also a good shout. Maybe even Graham Potter? I've been quite impressed by him.

For me whenever the time comes, I'd be looking for a promising up and coming coach with new ideas and proven ability to develop players. But you never know what will happen, as it's also possible at some point we follow Spurs and go for a coach that can turn potential into actual trophies and go for a winner.

Regardless the club is in a great place and even if we lost some key players, our recruitment is so good that I'd expect another bunch of promising young players to come in and to build up another great core. It really is happy times to be a Leicester fan, and these days the upward growth feels sustainable, and not just a flash in the pan.

Jesse Marsch the "Great American Hope". Never knew he existed until that Liverpool match. Don't worry we'll draft him into the national team set-up and turn him into shit.

Love to see someone like him come in after Rodgers.  There are plenty of fine attacking coaches in the world who would love to come to LCFC.

I'm hoping Rodgers can make a successful Vardy transition before he leaves because that could be the kiss of death for the next manager.

High wire act to be sure. Timing is everything.

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Jesse Marsch the "Great American Hope". Never knew he existed until that Liverpool match. Don't worry we'll draft him into the national team set-up and turn him into shit.

Love to see someone like him come in after Rodgers.  There are plenty of fine attacking coaches in the world who would love to come to LCFC.

I'm hoping Rodgers can make a successful Vardy transition before he leaves because that could be the kiss of death for the next manager.

High wire act to be sure. Timing is everything.

With him there’s definitely a feeling of “flavour of the month” but that’s no bad thing. The last 3/4 seasons have IMO shown that managers need to be brilliant training ground coaches these days which differed from the past. These days it’s all about system football - that’s the reason we are so good because we have a style of play and system that can work across multiple formations. Marsch seems to be in this category and his Salzburg team are enjoyable to watch and effective. 

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A revitalised Andre Villa Boas. Just like Rodgers reformed himself after being naively shown up in the PL. 

At least we won't have the press touting him for other jobs. Plenty of them can't stand him.

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

With him there’s definitely a feeling of “flavour of the month” but that’s no bad thing. The last 3/4 seasons have IMO shown that managers need to be brilliant training ground coaches these days which differed from the past. These days it’s all about system football - that’s the reason we are so good because we have a style of play and system that can work across multiple formations. Marsch seems to be in this category and his Salzburg team are enjoyable to watch and effective. 

Don't misunderstand me as I think Marsch is the real deal. I've just seen to much talent wasted by the arrogance of the US Soccer establishment.

Don't get me started on US Soccer. He needs to stay in Europe and keep working and competing in the most competitive Leagues in the world. The school of hard knocks so to speak.

Marsch won't be at Salzburg long as Red Bull have a habit of changing "coaches" frequently.

Important for him to learn the same lessons as Rodgers and get the timing right. Something tells me that's harder than it looks from the outside.

has anyone actually considered that there may already be someone at or closely associated with the club who is being lined up to work their way though the various coaching levels with a long term career path being mapped out for them? this happens at lots of big companies with various graduate training programs etc.and would fit in with the style of our owners plan for sustainable growth. Not saying that this is actually the case, but look how Rudkin has worked his way through the ranks. I know the ex player thing doesn't always work out but Lampard seems to be doing OK at Chelsea.

Is it purely co-incidental that Wes is still on the books, Chilwell openly talks about how great Andy King was for him when he was breaking into the first team squad from the academy. King was also praised for the work he did with the U23 when out of the squad last year. Matty James playing days here seem to be over yet he is constantly being praised for his footballing brain and reading of the game. Not saying he, Wes or anyone else at the club would necessarily be any good but it would be nice to see some sort of long term succession planning in football management like this but i wont hold my breath.

Who knows, Andy king might just be the type of guy that would make a decent manager.  Decent, unassuming player who quietly got on with things, experience at all levels including international (euro semi finals) fiercely loyal, and well liked. What a story that would be, if in a few years he stepped up and delivered us a trophy.