Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Rodgers - re Speculation (Arsenal amongst others)

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Let's put it this way...

Would you rather drive a brand new Ferrari

Or

A gold-plated 1990s Rolls Royce?

Cos that's a pretty close approximation of the situation. The second is more valuable, but the first is so much more fun!

Sorry that one flew high over my head...........admittedly that's not far.

It’s too bad Rodgers’ first name isn’t Peter or Paul because his initials really should be “P.R.”...

Folks could save themselves a lot of stress by not hanging on every statement Rodgers makes about this.  None of them mean anything.  He’s happy for now.  He’ll stay until an offer comes that he wants more.  Until then it’s all about managing the press.

5 hours ago, Hammo said:

The way I see it Rodgers is a great manager but  there’s a vain side to him that welcomes all this ego-massaging speculation.

He’s going nowhere for now (like he said, why would he at this point in time?), but if he were to come out and bluntly say “I don’t want the Arsenal job or any other, this is where I belong” (which of course is what we as Leicester fans want to hear), then he’d no longer be in the limelight with journos and pundits hanging on to his every word.

But he has. he just used different words. which bit of i am not going anywhere, i am really happy here, i am here to see through a long term project and when asked directly "so are you staying put?" he replies "yes" and why would i want to leave such a great club as Leicester etc etc .do people not understand.

Some people here are just as bad as the media tools they moan about.

What happens months/years/decades down the line nobody knows but he is going nowhere this season and that is all that matters for now

• Like 1

It really depends how you look at it.

He STAYS, because...

1 - Leicester are a perfectly balanced squad punching above their weight.

2 - Leicester are nailed on top four, and playing like at least the second best team in the country.

3 - Leicester will offer CL football next season, which Arsenal will not.

4 - Leicester have solid foundations, and an upward trajectory.

5 - If you combined the two teams, perhaps 9 or 10 would come from Leicester currently, with only Auba guaranteed to start from the Arsenal side.

6 - He has only just got to Leicester, and needs to play a longer game.

7 - Better jobs than Arsenal could become available if he proves himself with Leicester.

He GOES, because...

1 - Arsenal will always be a bigger club than Leicester, no matter how tenaciously the Foxes overachieve.

2 - Leicester will not win the league, so he will probably not be giving up silverware.

3 - Arsenal are at their all time lowest ebb, so he will be given time and patience, and be at a club where managers can stay long term with even a modicum of success.

4 - No matter how well Leicester are doing, Arsenal's ceiling is much higher, as in CL every year, and perhaps competing for the league every year.

5 - Arsenal will pay him more.

6 - He will be able to build a squad in his image from the ground up at Arsenal, and receive all the credit for any success.

7 - Leicester is a stepping stone eventually anyway, and there are never any guarantees another big offer comes along.

Emotion would make fans believe only one of these lists could be true, but in reality, both are true, though I would argue the list for staying is still more powerful, I am just illustrating that it would not be insane for him to go. Either way, this would all depend on Arsenal actually offering him the job, and I suspect they will not, but will go for an Arteta or Ancelotti instead, who I can imagine appealing to their decision makers more.

For the record, I think Brendan would suit Arsenal very well. But I hope he stays at Leicester.

Edited by Shev
removing bracketed comment

Martin Samuel talking total sense in the Mail Today - Why would BR leave Leicester to join awful Arsenal?   LCFC are CURRENTLY a better run Club, better Executive Set-up, better Owners and better players.  You have admire this particular journo!

• Like 1

I think his reputation would take a big hit if he moved now. No disrespect to Celtic but I think most people could understand why Rodgers didn't hesitate to leave them for us, harsh on them though it may have been. It's the Premier League first of all. Add to that the unique attractiveness of the Leicester job at the time; good owners willing to spend money, decent foundation in terms of squad, a loyal fanbase buoyed by a recent title win. Top quality facilities here too and a lot of investment is going into the club to improve everything around it. Plus he'd done all he could realistically do at Celtic. What else did he have left to achieve there? 

Moving to Arsenal from Leicester isn't the same for so many reasons. He's already in the Prem first of all. Plus the Arsenal job just isn't attractive at the moment. They've been on a downward spiral for years and that doesn't look like changing any time soon, the atmosphere at the club is toxic and the fans are restless and impatient. Their squad has a couple of above average players but generally speaking it needs a lot of time and work to get it into anything that looks remotely like a top 4 side.

The only possible reason he'd have to move is to get more money, which would tarnish his name in my opinion. Nobody in football would trust him again if he was so willing to sell himself to the highest bidder at literally any given moment. And he hasn't achieved anything with Leicester yet. I just think it would be a ludicrous move and I think a lot of the talk is based on outdated ideas of where both clubs are. Arsenal are not the invincibles under Wenger anymore and we're not the plucky underdog yo-yo team awed by the so-called bigger clubs. Times have changed and people just need to get used to it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shev said:

It really depends how you look at it.

He STAYS, because...

1 - Leicester are a perfectly balanced squad punching above their weight.

2 - Leicester are nailed on top four, and playing like at least the second best team in the country.

3 - Leicester will offer CL football next season, which Arsenal will not.

4 - Leicester have solid foundations, and an upward trajectory.

5 - If you combined the two teams, perhaps 9 or 10 would come from Leicester currently, with only Auba guaranteed to start from the Arsenal side.

6 - He has only just got to Leicester, and needs to play a longer game.

7 - Better jobs than Arsenal could become available if he proves himself with Leicester.

He GOES, because...

1 - Arsenal will always be a bigger club than Leicester, no matter how tenaciously the Foxes overachieve.

2 - Leicester will not win the league, so he will probably not be giving up silverware.

3 - Arsenal are at their all time lowest ebb, so he will be given time and patience, and be at a club where managers can stay long term with even a modicum of success.

4 - No matter how well Leicester are doing, Arsenal's ceiling is much higher, as in CL every year, and perhaps competing for the league every year.

5 - Arsenal will pay him more.

6 - He will be able to build a squad in his image from the ground up at Arsenal, and receive all the credit for any success.

7 - Leicester is a stepping stone eventually anyway, and there are never any guarantees another big offer comes along.

Emotion would make fans believe only one of these lists could be true, but in reality, both are true, though I would argue the list for staying is still more powerful, I am just illustrating that it would not be insane for him to go. Either way, this would all depend on Arsenal actually offering him the job, and I suspect they will not, but will go for an Arteta or Ancelotti instead, who I can imagine appealing to their decision makers more.

For the record, I think Brendan would suit Arsenal very well. But I hope he stays at Leicester.

It’s a good list, but I think you are being overly generous to Arsenal on a couple of points, specifically 6 and 7 is not a pro-Arsenal specific.

Also, Brendan seems to make good bonds with the players but would not be able to do so with an overly influential social media side show

Saw a post on the Caf, where they have a Poch or Rodgers thread, and saw this

Right. He's definitely not going to move in January with having a real chance of finishing top 4 at Leicester. After that - who knows. I think any ambitious coach will be cautious to deal with the Woody-Glazers mess we have going on. But if anybody could deal with a tough situation, I would bet Rodgers to be one of them. Leicester was no cakewalk either.

What on earth do you think they mean? The leaving Celtic thing was my only thought :dunno:

19 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

End of subject sigh of relief, He’s here to stay.

“I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.

"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.

"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

He is gone, isn't he? :cry:

Guest An Sionnach

Very few managers end their careers with their reputations intact Busby , Nicholson , Robson , Ferguson and possibly Wenger. Guardiola and Morinho will if they know when to leave the stage . Brendan Rodgers is a good manager but one more mistake and he could be managing Peterborough in ten years time. The grass is rarely greener.

44 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

'Merse Says: Rodgers should go to Arsenal'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11876882

He doesn't give up does he.

But if things don't sort out at Arsenal; Aubameyang will be off, rumours already of Barca interest. That club is a mess from top to bottom, anyone jumping in there will have to compete with the board and the wenger legacy. 

That's the big one.

Number One rule to live by is do the exact opposite of what Paul Merson says you should do.

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Very few managers end their careers with their reputations intact Busby , Nicholson , Robson , Ferguson and possibly Wenger. Guardiola and Morinho will if they know when to leave the stage . Brendan Rodgers is a good manager but one more mistake and he could be managing Peterborough in ten years time. The grass is rarely greener.

Arsenal would be a huge mistake; it isn't just the odd player they need, they really need gutting from top to bottom on and off the field, just how patient will their fans be and owners too. The club, like Man U, are in a right mess with no real direction. I will also add how much experience does Rodgers have helping restructure a whole club and buying in pretty much a whole team getting rid of the overpriced egos? When he come here the team was made for him. The move would be far too soon for Rodgers.

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Sky sports trying to continually rehash the Brendan story, and tbf to Darren Bent, he's said why would Rodgers leave, why would he want to leave?

An external manager wanting a prem job, then Arsenal is a brilliant opportunity, but for Brendan whose already here, why would he want to leave?  The presenter was just continually trying to reshape the question and Bent each time gave the same answer. 

I don't think he was planning to leave Celtic in February, nor were we planning to sack Puel then, just that results and team morale has made the relationship untenable. And we didn't want to waste time with an interim or caretaker but get the manager in asap.

I think all parties would've waited until the summer but our need became urgent and maybe Rodgers felt he couldn't wait either.

What else can he say?  He said everything except what was important - I don’t want the Arsenal job. He did not say that - everything else might well be true and honest. However, if he gets the offer I genuinely think he would consider it and might decide to go. Which would be unfortunate for him and us really, as Arsenal are miles off us currently and they would need £200-£300 million to rebuild. Don’t think that would come. 

Edited by ARM1968