Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Contracts, etc

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

Doesn't stop them moving though does it. Mahrez and Maguire both signed new deals and were gone within twelve months. It does however, show intent and wards off any but the really serious bids to lure them away. No doubt though once speculation starts, the press will claim that despite the new contract a "gentlemans agreement" was in place that they could leave after the following year and nasty little Leicester are blocking their "dream moves" to the club that they have always supported or some such rubbish. Do agree though that it is Ricci P that worries me the most. Unlike some of the homegrown lads, he is more cosmopolitan in that he has already plied his trade in three countries and a move to Spain would hold no fears for him. No idea what his relationship status is but could we find him a nice local girl (or boy, who knows?) to make him put deep roots down here?

@Thracian might be available.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

Doesn't stop them moving though does it. Mahrez and Maguire both signed new deals and were gone within twelve months. It does however, show intent and wards off any but the really serious bids to lure them away. No doubt though once speculation starts, the press will claim that despite the new contract a "gentlemans agreement" was in place that they could leave after the following year and nasty little Leicester are blocking their "dream moves" to the club that they have always supported or some such rubbish. Do agree though that it is Ricci P that worries me the most. Unlike some of the homegrown lads, he is more cosmopolitan in that he has already plied his trade in three countries and a move to Spain would hold no fears for him. No idea what his relationship status is but could we find him a nice local girl (or boy, who knows?) to make him put deep roots down here?

Absolutely, there is no loyalty in football (the very odd exception maybe). However, new contracts are all very clever from a business side. Release clauses are increased to avoid players "going on the cheap". So a good bit of business from the club to protect players leaving easily and cheaply.

Anyone seen the interviews with Riccy P? He comes across as very grounded and down to earth and I’m sure he’s mentioned feeling wanted. I know this means nothing I’m football but I’ll cling to that hope. I do think we will have one more season with him if we do indeed finish top 2. I think below that he’ll be off again though will he go for over 100 million? Name me a better and more consistent right wing back? Full back? Not entirely sure which position he fills as he’s like Kante ... 2 of him on the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Anyone seen the interviews with Riccy P? He comes across as very grounded and down to earth and I’m sure he’s mentioned feeling wanted. I know this means nothing I’m football but I’ll cling to that hope. I do think we will have one more season with him if we do indeed finish top 2. I think below that he’ll be off again though will he go for over 100 million? Name me a better and more consistent right wing back? Full back? Not entirely sure which position he fills as he’s like Kante ... 2 of him on the pitch. 

He's not English so may not go far that much.

Stadiums made “big clubs” back in the pre-Sky days.  Nowadays, sustained revenue makes big clubs.  Gates don’t add much to it, and debt-financed stadiums have been albatrosses.

Matchday revenue was under ₤13M in the latest LCFC accounts -- well under 10% of the total.  With an expansion that could be bumped what, another ₤10M?  And even that much, only with price increases and corporate niceties that don’t help average fans.  Stadium expansion returns nothing in terms of closing the gap to the Sky Six.

The one place where the Club can significantly grow revenue in the near future is broadcast/prize money.  But only if we get and stay near the top of the table -- because “bottom half” broadcasting revenue is going nowhere.  The coming decade’s increase -- overseas revenue -- will be distributed unequally to favor clubs in the upper places.  The “per place” difference in prize money is about to get many times bigger.  Not to mention the massive amounts that go to the clubs making the Champions League. 

And how do we stay near the top of the table?  Invest in the squad, the academy, the eggheads, and the training facility. 

OK, to allow fans who have been waiting to buy STs to see their team, invest moderately to expand a stand or two and bring the amenities up to date.

But to make LCFC a “big club”, invest in anything else.

809557042_LCFCRevs.thumb.JPG.967cbe987bd3603be0f578a02107863a.JPG

• Like 2

True but a big stadium isn't all about match day revenues.  A modern stadium could have other income streams eg hotels, shops, venue, conferences whatever really.

It's more about status and the feel of the club to fans and players. You can't deny that players feel something when stepping out in front of a massive crowd. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Stadiums made “big clubs” back in the pre-Sky days.  Nowadays, sustained revenue makes big clubs.  Gates don’t add much to it, and debt-financed stadiums have been albatrosses.

Matchday revenue was under ₤13M in the latest LCFC accounts -- well under 10% of the total.  With an expansion that could be bumped what, another ₤10M?  And even that much, only with price increases and corporate niceties that don’t help average fans.  Stadium expansion returns nothing in terms of closing the gap to the Sky Six.

The one place where the Club can significantly grow revenue in the near future is broadcast/prize money.  But only if we get and stay near the top of the table -- because “bottom half” broadcasting revenue is going nowhere.  The coming decade’s increase -- overseas revenue -- will be distributed unequally to favor clubs in the upper places.  The “per place” difference in prize money is about to get many times bigger.  Not to mention the massive amounts that go to the clubs making the Champions League. 

And how do we stay near the top of the table?  Invest in the squad, the academy, the eggheads, and the training facility. 

OK, to allow fans who have been waiting to buy STs to see their team, invest moderately to expand a stand or two and bring the amenities up to date.

some very good points ... and an indicator why the stadium expansion may be a little delayed if we have an opportunity to establish a top four position 

As.contrary as it seems, the occasional player needs to.move on as this enables a side to regenerate. 

Mahrez going opened the door for Maddison to assume a different, but equally creative, role. Maguire obvs led to Soyuncu.

Spurs are.paying the price for letting a fine set of players go stale.

But overall,.I agree.Stick.these.lafs on champions League level contracts

• Like 2

On 09/12/2019 at 19:12, themightyfin said:

Highly Doubt Riccy will be signing a new contract anytime soon.

He will sure to have more bargaining power as his contract starts to run down and I expect he will have plenty of options.

3.5 years left on his contract and he'll be a few months from his 30th birthday if he ran it down.

I can't imagine he was on more than about £60k a week when he joined so I would suggest the club have the upper hand here. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, urban fox said:

Do agree though that it is Ricci P that worries me the most. Unlike some of the homegrown lads, he is more cosmopolitan in that he has already plied his trade in three countries and a move to Spain would hold no fears for him. No idea what his relationship status is but could we find him a nice local girl (or boy, who knows?) to make him put deep roots down here?

Too late :(

B5157288-21C6-4282-865D-D99EB83F739B.jpeg

... I guess she might be local, here’s hoping lol

Edited by brucey

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

Good points though I will say that you've missed something: hospitality. Spurs are already seeing massive income on their restaurants and bars - though with what they've spent on it it will take years for them to make a proper profit. I'm not saying we'd even get close to the figures in the article but this kind of profitability will definitely be something KP will be aiming for with an expansion. Completely agree that everything else should be the priority but after a few years of stability at the top, the expansion is seriously exciting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Patience is a virtue. Building a brand new stadium put Arsenal into chaos for a generation and with any luck, Spurs will carry on being affected too. 

We're not stupid enough to blow a billion on a revamp, luckily, so just like the training ground it's going to be done properly from the money we make from this season and forays into Europe. I can see us spending £100m on a rebuilt East Stand/North & South Stands with the option of doing the West at some point in the future.

Slowly slowly.

Surely the sensible (and cheaper) plan will be to slowly expand the show pitch at the new Seagrave training ground, from a capacity of 199 eventually upto 50k. Plenty of space there and not many locals to oppose it. 

They'd need to build a flyover too though.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Ndidi only just signed a new contract...surely not another one.

Good until 2025 I believe…

irrespective of that amongst a team of high performing players he has potentially been the brightest…. He’s earned anything the club deems fit to offer…!

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Good points though I will say that you've missed something: hospitality. Spurs are already seeing massive income on their restaurants and bars - though with what they've spent on it it will take years for them to make a proper profit. I'm not saying we'd even get close to the figures in the article but this kind of profitability will definitely be something KP will be aiming for with an expansion. Completely agree that everything else should be the priority but after a few years of stability at the top, the expansion is seriously exciting.

I didn’t miss hospitality -- it is part of matchday revenue -- though I could have underestimated it.  Depends how many corporate punters they can bring in and how many ₤5 pies can be sold.  (I expect corporate hospitality brings in much less in the east midlands than north London.)

This “Spurs microbrewery” in the article you linked … have you had the product?  I find the whole idea questionable ...

0EmptyTrophyCase.JPG.ac7c64d28fae3c9e09aac7b70c8c3d9b.JPG

... but who knows, the "Audi Cup Winners Small Beer" may have been palatable.  Though I hear the buzz only lasted for a minute.

• Haha 2