Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Jarrod Bowen

Some comparison can be drawn between the versatility of Bowen across the frontline and that of Brentford's Ollie Watkins, who has scored 13 goals since becoming the club's first-choice striker despite having been deployed on the wing for the last two seasons in west London.

But does the Hull forward envisage a similar evolution?

"Maybe not a No 9, as an out-and-out striker, maybe just a 10 off a striker. I think that would be perfect for me, between the lines," he said.

"But even as a nine - I've done it a few times this season - I've felt comfortable. I think off the wing and just behind the striker are probably the two go-to positions, so to speak. I'm comfortable with playing both.

Been doing it at Hull for a while now, got 20+ last season in a relatively poor side. My mate supports Hull and occasionally talks about where they'd be without his goals.

Not convinced.

Sort of signing a newly promoted side should be looking to make, not a side looking to get Champions League football this season and build to become a top 6-8 club.

We have a very solid foundation, that can only be improved with real quality.

The next John Mcginn+Richarlison for me - We lack legs in midfield and physicality/options up front/out wide.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CityIsBlue said:

Not convinced.

Sort of signing a newly promoted side should be looking to make, not a side looking to get Champions League football this season and build to become a top 6-8 club.

We have a very solid foundation, that can only be improved with real quality.

The next John Mcginn+Richarlison for me - We lack legs in midfield and physicality/options up front/out wide.

Richarlison is a great shout; quality and would bring goals but we'd be looking at paying £70m+.

His goal scoring record from midfield is ridiculous from an average team, but I just think we're shopping in different markets now and should be looking for better.

Don't think he's any better than anyone in our regular XI and this is where we need so strengthen.

31 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Worth checking this out: 

He just looks like one of those who is always going to score if the opportunity is given him. I feel we could do with a bit of that. 

I mean one over riding thought I get when I watch that is that he won't get chances like 95% of those goals in the Premier league. 

I think that's the problem Barnes has had and other than Bowen looks probably a bit more natural arrogant (in a good way) I don't see a difference. 

There's a lot of clumsy typical championship goal mouth scrambles and a fair few of those cutting in and whipping it far corner jobs that Barnes has learned very quickly nobody gives you room for in the Prem, which was his forte at WBA. 

• Like 3

He’s leaving in the summer right? If so I’m sure he’ll be coming here at a nice discounted rate. He ain’t gonna be getting a massive singing bonus is he? He will have little pressure on him and he comes across as humble. Will be interesting and exciting to watch him develop under ‘big daddy’

I was extremely surprised he didn't move to a Premier League side in the summer, but it seems that his stats have improved yet again and so now he can't be ignored, and with his contract running down Hull likely have to sell.

Anything between 10-15m is very little these days so could well be worth a punt. If it goes wrong, then it's hardly the end of the world.

Whilst in an ideal world I'd prefer to see a more established wide-man with proven credentials we've proven over the last few years that we are a great club at developing promising young players and turning them into superstars. The Norwich game for me again showcased that our wide players don't do enough so addressing that part of the team would make me happy.

• Like 1

If Rodgers and the club want him than that works for me.

Don't want to be adding to the pile of wingers that we already have that aren't producing. Wages do add up.

We need goals badly from the rest of the squad besides Vardy. For the prices mentioned he might be worth the investment.

Bowen has a crazy amount of goals and it makes me wonder if he does have that something special. Seems to have what you can't teach easily.

Predator instinct.

Reminds me of Danny Ings although Ings was more of a straight up striker. At least he was at Burnley.

Like Bowen, Ings had the ability to play across the attacking front three and his work rate is excellent.

I trust in the club to do the right thing here. They have far more experience and access to knowledge than me.

But if you go off YT videos,especially the one last summer, then I'm all in.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm really not convinced to be honest. Don't think he's quick enough and Barnes was scoring comfortably in his short stint at that level. 

He'd probably end up costing roughly what Atletico will end up wanting for Lemar. 

Liverpool triggering a kid's 7.5m release clause shows there's accessible talent in Europe that doesn't have to take up a significant amount of your budget. 

I guess it just strikes me as a signing lacking in imagination. I wish we'd be capitalising on our current profile to aim a bit higher. 

His contract is up in the summer. Won’t cost much at all 

Bowen is an interesting one because he's been linked to a raft of PL teams ranging from 'Top 6' sides like Tottenham right down to sides scrapping with relegation like Villa and even top-end Championship sides like Leeds. Despite an outrageous goalscoring record and a contract expiring in the summer he seems content to bide his time (did an interview the other day saying as much). First thoughts there were it might be possible that, at this stage, any compensation fee Hull could get for him would be roughly equal to a January price tag and he will be invaluable to their play-off push.

As a winger, I don't see him as a wildly different style of player or prospect to the likes of Robert Skov or Brais Mendez who like to come inside rather than beat a man with pace. There's better out there but it would be hard to not welcome Bowen's acquisition given the moderate fee involved and prolific goalscoring record

4 hours ago, Torten said:

We shouldn’t turn our nose up and championship quality. After all, Bowen has relatively similar stats that Maddison did before we signed him (albeit they play in different positions). Now not many people can say that maddison doesn’t deserve to play in the UCL. I’d say the risk is not much less than buying an unproven player from a different league. Gerry Minn.

che adams scored 25 in championship but has 0 in prem. 

talk to any norwich fan and they will tell you regardless of stats maddison was the most technically gifted player they’ve seen in their colours. 

Bowen reminds me of che adams. He is not very technically gifted from what I’ve seen of him and that’s what you need most of to make the next step.