Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Jarrod Bowen

On 25/12/2019 at 13:06, les-tah said:

I think these days our scouting goes further than “scores loads in the championship so must be good” if our back room staff think he’s the right man I trust their judgment.

You’re too trusting, they paid 30m for a lemon in the summer😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

We’re second in the league and in a cup semi final ffs hardly panic stations is it

We've gone 3 matches without winning, 2 against the best squads in the league, might as well plan for the Championship now.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Gray and Barnes are not currently good enough to start as wingers. Pérez isn’t a natural wide player imo. we are short of top class wingers on both sides .... not convinced Bowen is high enough quality to come in and cement a top four finish ...... 

(Based on the comments above)

“ffs how dare you say we need new players. It’s hardly panic stations we are second in the league”

p.s I agree with you.

I’m starting to lead to the side of the fence that Barnes is going to get worse before he gets better. His confidence is falling with every game he seems to play. Doesn’t look like he wants to receive the ball any more. 

I’d leave him out until the Wigan game and hope we can get him a goal. 

I’d be excited to see what Bowen brings to the table. The difference with Bowen and Barnes is that all the chances Barnes squanders Bowen would probably bury. But Bowen would only get himself in half the positions Barnes managed and wouldn’t be creating as much for his team mates.

He’d be more of a Perez in the squad, not as effective for the team as a whole, but will pop up with goals 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 08:54, dooflip said:

You’re too trusting, they paid 30m for a lemon in the summer😂

They absolutely did didn't they, reportedly on the insistance of Rodgers. Hopefully that will be the first and last time they take too much notice of him as his transfer record is at best suspect at other clubs. He needs to concentrate more on what he supposedly does best as in recent times, our record in the transfer market has been top notch, it doesn't need any interference form him if Perez is indicative of his expertise. 

38 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

They absolutely did didn't they, reportedly on the insistance of Rodgers. Hopefully that will be the first and last time they take too much notice of him as his transfer record is at best suspect at other clubs. He needs to concentrate more on what he supposedly does best as in recent times, our record in the transfer market has been top notch, it doesn't need any interference form him if Perez is indicative of his expertise. 

Not sure how good at recruiting we are. We've done well with some in the 20-30 million bracket but equally Slimani and Silva cannot be said to be successes and Perez is starting to look like a bad buy too. There are others such as Kelechi who haven't look great buys either. Where we seem to do well is when we get real bargains and they turn out to be top class but this is hard to maintain.

The problem really is that 20-30 million is the new 10 million in terms of quality. To build a squad of top players you are either looking at being lucky more often than not or spending 40-60 million per player to at least buy genuine established quality and even that is not a dead cert to work.

25 minutes ago, reynard said:

Not sure how good at recruiting we are. We've done well with some in the 20-30 million bracket but equally Slimani and Silva cannot be said to be successes and Perez is starting to look like a bad buy too. There are others such as Kelechi who haven't look great buys either. Where we seem to do well is when we get real bargains and they turn out to be top class but this is hard to maintain.

The problem really is that 20-30 million is the new 10 million in terms of quality. To build a squad of top players you are either looking at being lucky more often than not or spending 40-60 million per player to at least buy genuine established quality and even that is not a dead cert to work.

I meant more in our more recent transfers over the past couple of seasons rather than the sort of disasters you rightly mention. I think you're absolutely right re 30m being the new 10m and the inherent risks for what turns out to be mediocrity.

I think our more recent forays into the more youthful 'up and coming' markets have been more fruitful and are the long term way forward. A top 4 finish, our new training facilities combined with Rodgers and the willingness to play younger players could encourage a further string of them to come this summer too. This approach does require some patience and understanding form supporters though. I think it's the most potentially productive way forward for a club our size though.

55 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I meant more in our more recent transfers over the past couple of seasons rather than the sort of disasters you rightly mention. I think you're absolutely right re 30m being the new 10m and the inherent risks for what turns out to be mediocrity.

I think our more recent forays into the more youthful 'up and coming' markets have been more fruitful and are the long term way forward. A top 4 finish, our new training facilities combined with Rodgers and the willingness to play younger players could encourage a further string of them to come this summer too. This approach does require some patience and understanding form supporters though. I think it's the most potentially productive way forward for a club our size though.

Can't disagree with any of this.  I do wonder though if at some point the club will need to make a really big signing. Not only for the quality but also as a statement of intent. Not sure who or when but sometimes you need to be seen to be ambitious to become ambitious.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2019 at 10:10, volpeazzurro said:

Well played. If you repeat it enough times it must be true. Perez bad. Perez bad. Perez bad. Rodgers sucks at transfers. Rodgers sucks at transfers. Rodgers sucks at transfers.

Managers don't control transfers. They suggest the TYPE of players with the appropriate attributes that they need. The club then finds them. This is the modern world.

If this club wants to start buying players without the managers input and or the needs of the squad then its time to start looking for a new head coach.

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

Well played. If you repeat it enough times it must be true. Perez bad. Perez bad. Perez bad. Rodgers sucks at transfers. Rodgers sucks at transfers. Rodgers sucks at transfers.

Managers don't control transfers. They suggest the TYPE of players with the appropriate attributes that they need. The club then finds them. This is the modern world.

If this club wants to start buying players without the managers input and or the needs of the squad then its time to start looking for a new head coach.

Not quite true that is it, different clubs do it different ways,  which is precisely why some managers don't go to certain clubs. Ranieri for example, on more than one occasion, insisted that he had no input into the players we bought and was purely a coach. I suppose there's pros and cons to both and also as you suggest a middle way.

Scoring for fun in a average hull side (been directly involved with more than half of hulls goals this season) was only 18 month ago we signed maddison from Norwich. I know we are flying high but we know it's still hard to pull the bigger players. 

I just don't want another 30m slimani or a 16m player who's first touch was as bad as ted bundys signing again.

Would I want bowen to join yeah if the price is right! 

6 hours ago, tylesta said:

Scoring for fun in a average hull side (been directly involved with more than half of hulls goals this season) was only 18 month ago we signed maddison from Norwich. I know we are flying high but we know it's still hard to pull the bigger players. 

I just don't want another 30m slimani or a 16m player who's first touch was as bad as ted bundys signing again.

Would I want bowen to join yeah if the price is right! 

Wrong game show!..

It was Bullseye.

• Haha 2

On 28/12/2019 at 20:22, vanity said:

Barnes is good enough I think. He needs to add some goals and experience, but he has shown himself to be a goal-scorer in the Championship, he has been exceedingly unlucky, he needs a solid run of form and we may have a player who can give us 10/10. His assist total is outstanding considering he has played far fewer minutes than anyone else in the top-10 other than David Silva. He is keeping some outstanding company on the assist list...

1. Kevin De Bruyne: 11 assists (1,472 minutes)
2. Trent Alexander-Arnold: 8 assists (1,573 minutes)
3. Son Heung-Min: 7 assists (1,299 minutes)
4. David Silva: 6 assists (1,017 minutes)
5. Sadio Mane: 6 assists (1,418 minutes)
6. Harvey Barnes: 5 assists (1,076 minutes)
7. Emiliano Buendia: 5 assists (1,414 minutes)
8. Daniel James: 5 assists (1,488 minutes)
9. Jack Grealish: 5 assists (1,524 minutes)
10. Joao Moutinho: 5 assists (1,620 minutes)

Interesting that he has similar assists to Mane, playing a similar position. If he could add goals, he'd be some player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sm1 said:

Interesting that he has similar assists to Mane, playing a similar position. If he could add goals, he'd be some player. 

I genuinely believe it's a matter of time. He's going to be a hell of a player. Just needs confidence.

• Like 3