Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Jarrod Bowen

2 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Stats are great but there's something about him I'm wary of, and I'm not sure what it is.

Lack of pace and the fact that he was attainable in the summer and still didn't get a move.

I've not seen him play but judging him on his profile he appears to be a decent signing for a PL club whose ambitions are survival but not for a club with top 4/6 aspirations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casablancas said:

Mata, silva, de brunye, Mahrez and reus all have played at the top level and none are blessed with great pace. 

I think it's fair to say that those are 5 of the most gifted footballers going. Jarrod Bowen isn't blessed with the ability those blokes have.

Despite my reservations, we've assembled a sought after squad, where each player has raised their value substantially by taking risks on players before other people do. Whether it's Ricardo being a converted winger, Maddison only having one good season, Tielemans being a flop in France etc etc. 

We've been lucky that so many have hit the mark, I can't see the club shifting drastically from that MO though. So someone like him makes sense if they want to continue that route, it would feel like us perhaps not taking advantage of our current position though.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Despite my reservations, we've assembled a sought after squad, where each player has raised their value substantially by taking risks on players before other people do. Whether it's Ricardo being a converted winger, Maddison only having one good season, Tielemans being a flop in France etc etc. 

We've been lucky that so many have hit the mark, I can't see the club shifting drastically from that MO though. So someone like him makes sense if they want to continue that route, it would feel like us perhaps not taking advantage of our current position though.

It's a balance, one of the reasons we take the piss out the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal is because they want to sign the players we've brought in and quickly developed and that's just good scouting on our part and lazy on theirs. We are now in a position to potentially get the players the likes of Dortmund or Liepzig get, the band of talented players that don't initially feature on the radar of the elite or who aren't yet willing to pay decent money for them. We have already attracted the likes of Ndidi, Soyuncu and Benkovic and it's these sorts of players I much prefer to see us going for than paying way over the odds for the likes of Perez or Dunk or Tarkowski had we gone for them.

I know we could now probably go and get Zaha but at £60m + I'd feel sick and don't see why we need to change tact. We should just stick to what we're doing and appreciate that we might well have put ourselves in the frame as the go to club for the cream of the crop from the lesser leagues throughout the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While his goal record is great in the championship it's worth noting how huge the step up is. Have we forgotten this?

After seeing a few of his goals I have no doubt that he wouldn't get half those chances in the premier league.

Like Kelechi for Man City, give him the ball in the right areas and he scores. Ask him to create more chances for himself for Leicester and look at the results, so far.

Nugent had a great record in the championship, could never make the step up. History is filled with similar players. Chopra, Bamford etc etc

However, I'd the reported fee is correct then it's a risk worth taking. At his age theres more than enough time to improve. It seems that we view 22 as old these days???

For me, take the risk and sign him. If theres an manager than can improve him then its Rodgers. I won't be expecting a lot from him and it would be unfair to do so, but for what is such a low amount in today's game, its worth the punt

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No problem bringing him in if we had offers on the table for Gray and Albrighton.

I just don't think he's likely to be an improvement on what we have in a position that we're well stocked numerically but lack in top quality. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Certainly they'd be an element of risk but every transfer comes with some risk and as long as we've done our due diligence I'm sure it'd be worth going for him. To be fair even if things didn't work out he's young enough that we'll still profit significantly from any future transfer. Furthermore, his stats are way better than Daniel James who just looked like a pace merchant in the Championship and he hasn't done too badly at Man United. Bowen obviously has a different set of attributes to him but from what I've seen of him I personally think he's more than capable of the step up and I genuinely don't think he'd be any worse than Perez, Barnes, Gray, or Albrighton (not that any of them are particularly bad) so I wouldn't be overly concerned if we did make a move for the lad. 

56 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Certainly they'd be an element of risk but every transfer comes with some risk and as long as we've done our due diligence I'm sure it'd be worth going for him. To be fair even if things didn't work out he's young enough that we'll still profit significantly from any future transfer. Furthermore, his stats are way better than Daniel James who just looked like a pace merchant in the Championship and he hasn't done too badly at Man United. Bowen obviously has a different set of attributes to him but from what I've seen of him I personally think he's more than capable of the step up and I genuinely don't think he'd be any worse than Perez, Barnes, Gray, or Albrighton (not that any of them are particularly bad) so I wouldn't be overly concerned if we did make a move for the lad. 

Gray is particularly bad I'm afraid.

On 15/12/2019 at 10:02, Tuna said:

His goal scoring record from midfield is ridiculous from an average team, but I just think we're shopping in different markets now and should be looking for better.

Don't think he's any better than anyone in our regular XI and this is where we need so strengthen.

.. take a look at James at United!! 

We failed to pick him up and would gladly shell out a few millions for him now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's his lack of assists which highlight he isn't a creative wide forward but a pure goalscorer, which is kind of what Perez is supposed to be. At £10m though I'd be very tempted to take a chance.

Double that if we're looking at signing him in January.

Tricky one. Could be a bargain, but we could just be adding quantity in a position where we need quality.

I like Albrighton, and with Rodgers' guidance, I still think there's a chance Gray could become a good player, but if we got a good offer for either, I'd probably go for Bowen if the price was right. I'd still want someone a cut above what we already have, as well, though.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I know we could now probably go and get Zaha but at £60m + I'd feel sick and don't see why we need to change tact. We should just stick to what we're doing and appreciate that we might well have put ourselves in the frame as the go to club for the cream of the crop from the lesser leagues throughout the world.

I suppose what occurs to me is that Vardy is getting older, his outstanding season notwithstanding. Having a player of Zaha's quality locked in for 3-4 seasons would provide us a natural transition, allowing us to move from one superstar talent to the next, and would further allow us to keep Vards healthy by resting him a bit more regularly while potentially improving our recruiting appeal. I believe I have seen you make the point that Barnes looks good, if not better on the right, perhaps we could move him there, put Zaha on the left, and use Perez or Demi to offset the cash price of Zaha to make it more palatable. It is also worth noting that wing is the one clear area we could clearly improve our starting 11, and with Zaha, we would begin looking like a truly elite attacking team capable of beating anyone in the world. Not that we aren't an elite team now -- we are. But 35% of our goals this season have come from two games. IDK how meaningful that is, but having watched the Nor match this last week, a scoring threat who doesn't need service, who can take on a FB and beat him better than Demi can, but with the additional finishing ability Zaha would bring would likely help us to maintain an even higher level of consistency. Instead of winning matches by a goal, we'd enjoy greater margin for error. I am probably also prejudiced by the profile of traditional top-6 clubs, they tend to have several goal-scorers in their front 3 or whatever they use, but we really don't have any consistent goal scoring in our front 3 other than Vards. Having a premier talent next to him may take our attack to the next level, similar to what happened in the midfield when we added Tielemans once he got settled, it took pressure off Maddison, made teams play us more honestly rather than denying him the ball, and both our AM's got the room they needed to make plays.  

I like the idea of Hull's Bowen if the club's scouts want him, but I do worry about his lesser athleticism for the position. Very smart player though, instinctive, knows where to be to score goals. I'd like both, ideally, especially if we are playing in Europe next season.

• Like 1