Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Jarrod Bowen

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The problem with Bowen is I feel like he's going to be more of what we've already got - which is a steady, but not outstanding wide man. It's a shame because he definitely deserves a move up and he might well become this star, but the Barnes comparison - I can see it. I feel like if we buy Bowen we're adding yet another option, rather than a genuine big difference maker. I'm not saying he'd be a poor signing but I think if we're going to buy a wide man we need to go out and buy a real stellar type of player - a Ziyech type, a guaranteed started, a guaranteed goal and assist getter.

He will be a good signing for somebody but I'm not sure it's us.

This is a very good point and I 100% agree.

But the view I would also take is that it doesn't have to be an either/or type of situation. We definitely need a top class winger walking through the door in January who is what I'd term 'Champions League-ready' but I think we could bring that player in as well as Bowen because there are question marks around all of our other wingers:

Perez - hasn't set the world alight and looks uncomfortable at times out wide (as if he doesn't really want to be there)

Barnes - the potential is there, and he'll come good eventually, but how long do we wait before offering him out to a lower half Premier League side to break him into the standard there?

Albrighton - we know what we're getting but he doesn't really fit Rodgers' style and will he continue to be happy with a bit-part role? (particularly as he enters the twilight years of his career)

Gray - he's shown glimpses since Rodgers came in of actually delivering on some of his early promise but not enough for us to be at the point of avoiding making reinforcements if they become available

There would be nothing to stop us bringing Bowen in now whilst the opportunity to get him at a decent price point is there, loaning him back to Hull to finish his season with them and then re-assessing in the summer once we have a better idea of where Barnes, Albrighton and Gray in particular are at.

It could well be that Albrighton's time is up, additional fixtures due to European competition means that Perez will get more games up front as an increasingly older Vardy might start to need more of a rest, Gray hasn't really kicked on liked we hope he will and Barnes continues to look like he needs more time to adapt by spending the first half of next season on loan at another Premier League club. At that point, having brought two through the door in January we'd have done our business early and be looking at a group of 4 wingers to see us through all competitions in: our Champions League-ready winger, Bowen, Barnes/Albrighton and Perez/Gray.

• Like 2

I'm not convinced Bowen would make the step up to the EPL all that well.  He lacks pace and against a better quality of opposition he'd get less space to get into favourable positions.  Although different types of players could see shades of the Che Adams transfer with Bowen.  For a club closing in on the champions league you should and need to be aiming higher, looking to secure a real difference maker, Bowen isn't that guy for me.

From what I've saw of him also he doesn't do enough off the ball to play in a Rodgers side so I'd be surprised if there's even any genuine interest in him.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The problem with Bowen is I feel like he's going to be more of what we've already got - which is a steady, but not outstanding wide man. It's a shame because he definitely deserves a move up and he might well become this star, but the Barnes comparison - I can see it. I feel like if we buy Bowen we're adding yet another option, rather than a genuine big difference maker. I'm not saying he'd be a poor signing but I think if we're going to buy a wide man we need to go out and buy a real stellar type of player - a Ziyech type, a guaranteed started, a guaranteed goal and assist getter.

He will be a good signing for somebody but I'm not sure it's us.

Many (including myself) had the same opinion as this about James Maddison. 

I remember more or less typing the same thing up, because there is always the chance that it turns out this way. 

Theres also the chance that under a better coach Bowen actually improves a great deal when he joins. 

For a huge fee, I’d stay clear. But for the price being indicated, even if we just farmed him out and sold him... we’d almost certainly make a profit. 

Just look at the summer recruitment, we would have all been more excited about signing Sarr and look how that’s turned out.  Top 2 or not, we still aren’t the draw we think we are and still need to be creative in the market.

• Like 2

To go to the next level i feel like we need two quality wingers. Sign one in January and another in the summer. We really do need strength in depth next year if we’re going to handle the fixture congestion. 

Barnes / Albrighton can be the two other options on the wing & Perez could be used as a back up striker/impact sub.

If we were anything lower than 4th, I would be over the moon with being linked with him. Think he can make the step up to the prem and score loads but will need to bed in and that might take a while like it has with barnes. I feel that we need to take advantage of our position in the league to get a higher calibre player to push us on in jan.  

I can see what people mean about him not being a star, but comparing him to Adams is a little unfair. Adams had one good season as a number 9 for Birmingham, whereas Bowen has been consistently scoring from out wide for a few seasons in a row. I know he's not your conventional winger, but he gets in the right places.

He's only 22, so I'd be in favour of bringing him in if it meant moving someone on.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I remember more or less typing the same thing up, because there is always the chance that it turns out this way. 

Theres also the chance that under a better coach Bowen actually improves a great deal when he joins. 

For a huge fee, I’d stay clear. But for the price being indicated, even if we just farmed him out and sold him... we’d almost certainly make a profit. 

Just look at the summer recruitment, we would have all been more excited about signing Sarr and look how that’s turned out.  Top 2 or not, we still aren’t the draw we think we are and still need to be creative in the market.

Some really good points here. Particularly the comment about Sarr - God he looked awful at the weekend! Sure glad we missed out on him and JoHandbags down at Brighton!

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, it feels like our next attacking signing has to be a player with incredible ability. I know they are very difficult to bring in but we are 2nd in the league and have the majority of the Maguire money available so paying £40-60m for a player like Olmo, Ziyech, Lemar etc wouldn't be impossible for us. 

100%. We need to go all out and buy someone world class if we're serious about top 4.

I'd still buy Bowen and loan him back out though, even to just make a decent profit in 18 months time.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

This is a very good point and I 100% agree.

But the view I would also take is that it doesn't have to be an either/or type of situation. We definitely need a top class winger walking through the door in January who is what I'd term 'Champions League-ready' but I think we could bring that player in as well as Bowen because there are question marks around all of our other wingers:

Perez - hasn't set the world alight and looks uncomfortable at times out wide (as if he doesn't really want to be there)

Barnes - the potential is there, and he'll come good eventually, but how long do we wait before offering him out to a lower half Premier League side to break him into the standard there?

Albrighton - we know what we're getting but he doesn't really fit Rodgers' style and will he continue to be happy with a bit-part role? (particularly as he enters the twilight years of his career)

Gray - he's shown glimpses since Rodgers came in of actually delivering on some of his early promise but not enough for us to be at the point of avoiding making reinforcements if they become available

There would be nothing to stop us bringing Bowen in now whilst the opportunity to get him at a decent price point is there, loaning him back to Hull to finish his season with them and then re-assessing in the summer once we have a better idea of where Barnes, Albrighton and Gray in particular are at.

It could well be that Albrighton's time is up, additional fixtures due to European competition means that Perez will get more games up front as an increasingly older Vardy might start to need more of a rest, Gray hasn't really kicked on liked we hope he will and Barnes continues to look like he needs more time to adapt by spending the first half of next season on loan at another Premier League club. At that point, having brought two through the door in January we'd have done our business early and be looking at a group of 4 wingers to see us through all competitions in: our Champions League-ready winger, Bowen, Barnes/Albrighton and Perez/Gray.

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot going for Bowen but I just think the likelihood is he'd become another one of those four - and you say it's not an either or, but we're not going to play more than two of those at once (possibly three if we played Perez central) and we don't need to absolutely stack ourselves. I'm just not sure he really fixes our problems either.

I think our four wide men at the minute are all good enough to be in the squad, but all four could be upgraded on in terms of starting - Bowen quite plausibly becomes another one of these. Ziyech, for example, I think comes in and instantly gets ahead of any of those.

Say we sold Gray, I'd agree with you and think I'd be happy to buy Bowen, because we'd likely make money in the process, but I think we need to buy a sure starter for this position really. It's the obvious weakness.

• Like 1

Thing as well with Bowen is he's not going to come here to sit on the bench. With him being out of contract he'll have loads of offers and I think there'll be one that beats that.

He's absolutely done enough in my eyes to get a Premier League move but it would be a gamble. I think we've progressed enough to go for a bit bigger now. Think a Leon Bailey or a Ziyech.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

We're a different proposition to what we were 18 months ago. We are looking a very likely CL side next season. That will appeal to loads of players. I genuinely think we could land one of those players I said.

I'll admit I was in favour of us going for Sarr as well. To be fair, I'm not totally writing him off yet, not been good enough so far but Watford's problems can't be pinned all on him.

6 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We're a different proposition to what we were 18 months ago. We are looking a very likely CL side next season. That will appeal to loads of players. I genuinely think we could land one of those players I said.

I'll admit I was in favour of us going for Sarr as well. To be fair, I'm not totally writing him off yet, not been good enough so far but Watford's problems can't be pinned all on him.

Are we really though? A little bit more, of course but nothing significant. We would have been seen as one of the best clubs (especially for a youngster) to join outside of the 'big 6' we have just upgraded to definitely the best club to join outside the top 6.  I think the last champions league campaign would be an example to us, im not entirely convinced we can go out and get the finished article under the noses of bigger clubs. We will still have to find a player that the traditional big clubs are hesitating on.  

Id just be very surprised if we would be more likely to now go for a Bale than a Bowen. 

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Are we really though? A little bit more, of course but nothing significant. We would have been seen as one of the best clubs (especially for a youngster) to join outside of the 'big 6' we have just upgraded to definitely the best club to join outside the top 6.  I think the last champions league campaign would be an example to us, im not entirely convinced we can go out and get the finished article under the noses of bigger clubs. We will still have to find a player that the traditional big clubs are hesitating on.  

Id just be very surprised if we would be more likely to now go for a Bale than a Bowen. 

I think Bale's out of our league but someone like Bailey isn't. I'm still happy for us to take punts on these players and I won't be upset if we do sign Bowen but I do think really we could possibly do a bit better - it's a gamble in a position that we've already got plenty of a similar profile in. The Barnes comparison is what gets me a bit about him. There's a lot of similarities.

I think he'll probably end up at Bournemouth though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think Bale's out of our league but someone like Bailey isn't. I'm still happy for us to take punts on these players and I won't be upset if we do sign Bowen but I do think really we could possibly do a bit better - it's a gamble in a position that we've already got plenty of a similar profile in. The Barnes comparison is what gets me a bit about him. There's a lot of similarities.

I think he'll probably end up at Bournemouth though.

Yeah fair enough. We will see, we’ve got a model that has been working so far, so I’m just open to continuing that. Hopefully we are able to do a bit of both. 

On 16/12/2019 at 09:49, Babylon said:

Still concerned about his pace, clearly a very talented player. But so was Knockaert and it's his lack of pace that's done for him in the premier league each time. 

Mata, silva, de brunye, Mahrez and reus all have played at the top level and none are blessed with great pace. 

8 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Mata, silva, de brunye, Mahrez and reus all have played at the top level and none are blessed with great pace. 

They've been blessed with more natural talent in their little finger than Bowen will ever have though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1