Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hollyfox

Our fans performance

The atmosphere "negative" is really simple to solve but it is going to inconvenience some people (unless we wait until the stadium redevelopment).

Firstly, the WIgan singing section was a great start. This needs to happen for every match and would help like minded fans group together. As has been discussed to death, people have been spread out throughout the ground and it really is hard to get anything going with pockets everywhere. Obviously the drawdown is having to create space for this and therefore moving people. As I say, unless we wait until stadium redevelopment (which is at least a couple of years away), it will be hard.

I really think it is as simple as that. Another point made above is that a lot of fans cannot get to games anymore due to the high demand. There is a lot more potential for those to enhance the atmosphere. Currently, it is impossible for a group of people to get tickets together as usually it is just single tickets.

But let's not get disillusioned, even if the above happens, fans have to commit and the atmosphere isn't going to blow the roof off for 90 minutes solid every game. However, it will improve overall and make us one of the better home atmospheres in the league.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

I remember watching that Everton game when they equalised, the camera panned to an elderly lady singing along to 'by far the greatest team'. Our elderley ladies tell other fans to sit down and shout when they don't.

No they don't. They just like to sing songs they know. We've got one chant that everyone knows. Leicester (rep.) and thats it.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

No they don't. They just like to sing songs they know. We've got one chant that everyone knows. Leicester (rep.) and thats it.

One shouted at a 9 year old boy to sit down at West Ham away, when she could clearly see, then when confronted by the childs dad, she threatened them with a walking stick. But there we go.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Labelling people who want to improve the atmosphere and actually do something about it as 'Newby's' is hardly following your own recommendation for respect is it now?

I find this amusing too. Labelling them 'Newby's' as if they never went to the football prior to starting a group. Not sure what isn't obvious about the fact the lads & lasses were going years & years before they ever considered starting/getting involved with a group.

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

Labelling people who want to improve the atmosphere and actually do something about it as 'Newby's' is hardly following your own recommendation for respect is it now?

👍

I'm not sure I can be called a 'Newby' after about 45 years of attending 😄

Just a bit disappointed in our support levels in recent times. 

I do think that most songs, that we do, don't last long enough. 

The Villa game, a few songs Did start but faded away after about 10 seconds in where I was. 

A few of us got up, nobody joined in, so we sat down again. 

Brendan knew were weren't going to be Celtic levels,very few are in these Isles, but he must be disappointed on that side of our club. 

Each to their own though👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

One shouted at a 9 year old boy to sit down at West Ham away, when she could clearly see, then when confronted by the childs dad, she threatened them with a walking stick. But there we go.

I've been told the lady involved is the head of the disabled supporters group, what a fine example she sets.

1 hour ago, Munshi said:

No we haven’t. We have loads of simple chants that the majority of fans in the stadium would know.

More a case of ‘I can’t be arsed to sing’ as opposed to there being nothing to sing.

Personally don't think we've ever had an easier songbook to know.

We've got about five chants to fvcking La Bamba.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Biggest downer for me on Wednesday was the complete lack of a decent rendition of 'Shit on the Villa'

Very poor that

Yes! I thought this too. Towards the end of the game was the first I heard of it. 

Unfortunately there’s a whole cultural shift.

Growing up I was addicted to the noise and remember the League Cup Semi Finals at Filbo as electric. That was the attraction for me. 

Now the attraction is a sodding lights show. 

Football previously had this natural way how the Make up of crowds constantly changed. Now and it’s not only us that it doesn’t happen. It’s appears so difficult if you were a young parent to get your kids tickets on regular basis. 

So you have a scenario which is going to pop soon. You have a family stand sold out for season tickets since we were promoted. What happens when the kids turn 18? And they can’t sit in that stand and neither can their parents? Where do they sit? 

Because there’s no one moving from the Kop and that as an older demographic as the years have passed. Then it’s knock on’s. It’s probably the same in L1 where the faces are getting older. 

So you have this stagnation which has happened to degree in our away support with a priority system which takes years to catch up on people who haven’t gone an away game in three years. 

This isn’t unique to us. It’s happening at most clubs. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I reckon we’ve nearly got more fans that have an issue with the poor atmosphere being called out than just having a shit atmosphere in the first place.

I have a wry smile at those biting back towards ‘newbies’, given they’d know better than anyone how the atmosphere has died off