Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

City 1-2 Saints Post Match

Guest An Sionnach

Actually could have got something from that match playing very poorly and I would take that but you won't keep getting away with it   Sooner or later you will get well and truly hammered. Time for Rodgers to show he can remotivate this team.

1 minute ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Chilly's form has come down to the other teams figuring us out. Both Chilly & Ricky P are being stifled on the wings. Every goal kick or throw out from Kasper goes directly to Chilly every game. Even I had noticed that after the first 5 or 6 games of the season. We are not trying anything new. We are trying to run the wings but are getting strangled off and several times there is not a simple pass to make. Chilly has to try some through pass that he obviously does not have the knack for. Ricky P has ability to take on his markers and get up field but Chilly just either gives it away or leaves it behind his feet when he trys to beat someone. Noticed Perez guilty of leaving the ball behind also.

•  

This is EXACTLY what is wrong. 

Just got back, that performance was disgusting.

Ndidi was a huge miss.

Our wingers were yet again terrible.

The defence made too many sloppy errors.

I put most of the blame on Rodgers though for that appalling team selection.

Perez has been playing well in a front two but let's stick him out wide again, he doesn't look comfortable as a winger, too weak and gives the ball away. Barnes should be nowhere near the starting 11, he did absolutely nothing again today. Dropping Tielemans was the right decision but Chilwell should have been dropped too, another abysmal performance from him.

If it wasn't for Kasper and the crossbar, Southampton could have had about five.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think that thinking this had a huge bearing on the result is world class stupid, personally.

Southampton deserved to win. But pre game gloating doesn't help. Poor taste.

It's pretty clear what our weakness is, we can't deal with a well organised high press. This has coincided with a general drop in form of quite a few players, as well as team targeting our weaknesses making it harder for our players. Ndidi does so much effective defensive work that it takes so much pressure off Soyuncu, Evans and everybody else, making them look better. No combination of Maddison, Tielemans, Praet or Choudary in the current system of a single holding midfielder have the same effect defensive effect. I think we should probably switch to a double pivot of Tielemans and Choudary/Mendy/whoever to give extra passing lanes to break the high press and to give added defensive solidarity that we lack without Ndidi.

Having said this Burnley have never used a high press, so this won't be as big of an issue next match as it was today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Showing 0-9 goal replays in the stadium during the pre-match I hear?  That's World Class stupid.

Yup.

I mean I hate the word “tinpot”, but it feels very appropriate here.

The kind of nonsense that makes us a fvcking laughing stock, especially when the players go and put in a doggo performance like that.

I’m usually a staunch defender of the decisions the club makes with regards to the stadium atmosphere etc. but here on this occasion they really fvcked it.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

Kasper was superb today but not helped by some underperformers in front of him putting him under pressure. That save to prevent their 3rd was unreal. Sat right in line with it. 

Ings could have had 4 today but Kasper stopped that. 

We were just crap all round though. Think we saw the effects of so many games and saw some fatigue in some players. Glad to have a week's rest now before Burnley. Some players need a rest but also need to regain their focus. 

Anyone know who Barnes was trying to pass to in that first half which led to Ings' chances early on lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Showing 0-9 goal replays in the stadium during the pre-match I hear?  That's World Class stupid.

But they always do a 'last time out' for any game?? 

That's not the reason we lost today. Southampton would have been pumped up for this game regardless of what's shown on the screen. 

• Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

But they always do a 'last time out' for any game?? 

That's not the reason we lost today. Southampton would have been pumped up for this game regardless of what's shown on the screen. 

Of course its not the reason.

14 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

You sound very petulant. I'd almost understand if Southampton hadn't genuinely just played us off the park.

I don’t think the two things are mutually exclusive.

Personally think that was the second best away performance I’ve seen here this season but the amount of cynical fouling that went unpunished was next level. 

I think the position we find ourselves in the league and cups is far better than most of us even hoped for. Everyone involved deserves immense credit for that and it's easy for us to forget that.

But I have to say that was one of the most gutless performances I've seen from us in a long time. VAR, Kasper and the woodwork saved us being on the end of the scoreline that we deserved. Couldn't string 2 passes together but then decided we'd try to do that in the 95th minute. And to compound matters we didn't even have the Sunday league level knowledge to stick a centre half up top for the last 5 mins and at least try to get a goal that way.

It's been a fantastic season but that was a real horror show. Got to show a big reaction from that.

Fed up of this sht.

been like it for what seems like months now.

we went from being one of the best sides in the league to not turning up. The effort just isn’t there.

we don’t press. There’s no urgency. We have no ideas going forward. No passion. I’m ashamed of our team and have been since Everton/Watford at home sort of time. We’ve been awful since that.

something needs to change.

would be considering accepting big bids for most of the squad at the moment with how pathetic they’ve been. Cash in while we can.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dooflip said:

Fed up of this sht.

we went from being one of the best sides in the league to not turning up. The effort just isn’t there.

we don’t press. There’s no urgency. We have no ideas going forward. No passion. I’m ashamed of our team and have been since Everton/Watford at home sort of time. We’ve been awful since that.

would be considering accepting big bids for most of the squad at the moment with how pathetic they’ve been. Cash in while we can.

Would be interesting to see your posts if we were in the relegation zone 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we've ever been as mentally strong as we were in 2015/16 and that's the irony for me, because we're now far superior technically to then. But when things start going wrong, we seem to lose belief in ourselves and self destruct, just incapable of turning it around.

It's a mental problem we've struggled with since Ranieri's 2nd season in charge and I think this period will really be the test of just how good Rodgers is - IN ALL DEPARTMENTS.

Hope he/we pass the test sooner rather than later because it's a problem we need to solve once and for all. Otherwise we'll never be the finished article which is kind of the point of appointing him in the first place, right?!

Edited by Kendal Fox

1 minute ago, dooflip said:

Fed up of this sht.

Wow that's kind of a massive over reaction. 

The team just needs freshening up a bit, a couple of quality new sinigns, that and this loss will be a catalyst for us. 

Top 4 is still very much a possibility and we will beat villa to get to a cup final, I think keep your pants, I'm annoyed at the loss as well but let's put it into a little perspective. P