Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

City 1-2 Saints Post Match

Just now, adejo92 said:

I don't think we played any worse than West Ham or Newcastle games. It just so happens that Southampton were better. 

I'm sorry mate but what were you watching? 

They were average, we were utterly awful. 

I mean it's not the end of the world, we're still double figures ahead of fifth, it's a bad day at the office and we can dust ourselves off and go again but let's not pretend we weren't terrible. 

Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, couldn't mark. Didn't look confident at all anywhere on the pitch, heads went down after they equalised and never recovered. 

One thing it did do for me is highlight how much of a good midfield Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi. Ultimately that's one or the best centre midfields in the league, maybe only Man City can field three better than that in the middle of the park. It's obviously going to hurt us to have only one of them playing. 

Just now, Trelleh said:

Absolute clownish comment, semi final and our biggest chance of the season to win some silverware. Second leg we’ll put out the reserves so we can put all our eggs into one league game out of 38 basket, behave.

I'm not taking a stance on whether we are right to go for the league cup or not but I've no doubt it cost us this match. Southampton are in red hot form at the moment and they had more energy for the whole match. 

7 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

None.

However we're second in the league and in a cup semi final. We're massively overachieving. I expected the Christmas period to be a massive test and so it has proven.

Today's performance was crap but I'm not going to start slagging off the players and Brendan and saying they don't care because in my opinion that's unfair.

We're a small squad being stretched.

Second in the league - argument gets thrown around inflationary lately. Doesn't mean we deserve to be there, and I suppose we'll find ourselves in third by the end of the weekend.

As for "massively overachieving" - that's easy to say now. We're 22 games into a 38-game season and so far have only put in one and a half terrible home performance (against Liverpool - and Norwich, for what it's worth).

Individually, our take on this game has been devastatingly bad. I don't expect us to win every game, but on a performance-based level, the vast majority of players today took the piss.

Schmeichel, Ricardo Pereira, Evans and maybe Vardy coming out with any sort of dignity.

The rest have pretty much been poor to very poor, and that for weeks.

Rodgers also comes across as not being able to adapt to teams pressing us at home. Villa in the League Cup lately, Norwich in the league, Wigan in the FA Cup, there's a pattern emerging.

Don't like the attitude on the pitch lately. Other teams have similar issues with the fixture list or injuries and they seem to cope just fine.

Attitude it is.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Thanks 1

Southampton are one of the inform sides in the league with a striker in the form of his life. It's nothing more than a small dip. We didn't play at 100% and they are at the minute. People turning Chilwell into scapegoat are pathetic. He's just a little out of form nothing else, he's a young academy product who needs support not being criticised every 5 seconds. 

• Haha 1

Home form continues to be poor.

Just not enough bite in midfield, Choudhury some good interceptions but passing was poor today you can see why Rodgers has not thrown him in. Praet despite his goal doesn’t do enough for me. Pérez so easy to dispossess and sadly Barnes may need another loan to regain confidence as it’s well and truly gone now :(

• Like 3

Kasper pulled some world class saves but do think he could probably have saved the ings goal. Lazy and casual distribution and not coming off his line as usual too. 

Praet, Ricardo (although it's not happening going forward for him either) and Vardy were ok. Rest were rubbish, even Evans and Soyuncu were sloppy. 

Important fans don't get on their backs though, in danger of becoming entitled and moan as soon as we aren't winning every game. Confidence is fragile. 

Rodgers has never really rectified the home performances, even when we were winning. Can't really use the excuse that southampton sat back, they were just better than us. 

6 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

It was. Watch MOTD tonight. If Evans is off. Then their player is too. If Kalechi is off, then their player is too.  If you're consistent with an armpit offside, then fair enough. But when you don't even stop the game to check theirs but yet stop for about 5 minutes to check Evan's, it starts to look very inconsistent and unfair. 

Not sure what you are on about tbh, both of these are clearly onside. 

https://streamja.com/rMyp

https://streamja.com/7O54

• Like 1

Yeah, much deserved defeat there.  I’m not as panicked as some, since we were totally dominant against Villa, just inefficient, and looked flat-out spent today. But no, it hasn’t been a good stretch by any means.

Ndidi was sorely missed.  Hamza always plays hard but he frankly looked a bit overmatched out there.  Mendy’s calm efficiency in that role would be a very tempting option.

• Like 2

So frustrating, everything we were doing so well at the start of the season we aren't doing anymore.

No pressing, sloppy passing, no movement off the ball. Southampton battered us today, it should have been 3 or 4.

ironically I thought we looked a lot better when Youri came on, his passing through the middle is vital against teams like this.

Don't wanna get too carried away but at this rate, if we don't sign a starting winger, we will throw this amazing start away.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Never felt like we were in the game & didn't deserve anything

We were poor & Southampton were very good

Lacked energy and even at 1 0 I thought we are going to lose this. We were second to every ball, they were sharper, their thought process was quicker. Just dont get it. What has changed since we thumped them 9 0. 

• Like 2

Looking on the bright side - at least now I can be happy if/when Liverpool stuff Spurs. If we had won that I may have been deluded enough to think we were still in with a title shout. That ship has well and truly sailed (I know, it sailed a while ago, but you know...).

Result like that has been coming. Seem to have lost our hunger and certainly the relentlessness that we had the last time both sides met. Best players tired or injured, most of the others just not showing up to compensate. Surely Perez, Barnes, Chilly are hungrier than that?! 

Next game is massive. Teams will be thinking about catching us now, especially without Wilf who we looked absolutely lost without.

During our purple patch...a lot of people pointed out that we were wildly out performing our XG. All of a sudden we don't even create that many clear cut chances. I think Vardy will go through one of his bare patches now too (I obviously home not!)

Certain Individuals are having a poor run of form recently bar Ndidi every other Winger/Midfielder are just not on their game.

Still think Barnes isn’t upto it for me Is missing in most the games I have seen his play and he leaves Chilwell with no cover....it’s no wonder he is being targeted.....I would be doing the same as opposition manager.

Barnes isn’t ready for Premier League football......Yet. If we had other options a loan would be best for him.

Think we have forgot the basics what got us to 2nd in the league.

Getting back to what we were good at....high press and going at teams.

Whatever reason we’re sitting so deep, today and Villa it’s not a coincidence we have started to concede goals recently, from what was a strong defence .

Too many silly fouls, misplaced passes, no press and our midfield is non exsistant.

We look void of any confidence and ideas through the team. And I hope it’s not the start of our decline of what’s been a great half of the season.

Something seems different recently, half the starting 11 just don’t lose form overnight.

If some players heads have been turned it could de-rail the top 4 push.

Hopefully Rodgers will sort this out, as he has made a few mistakes in previous weeks, now the pressure is on to turn the last few games around 

Edited by steflcfc
  • Like 2