Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

I’d be alright with Vestergaard for £15-18m tbh.

If we were going into the CL next season with centre back options of 5 internationals (inc Wes for his club captaincy role) of Evans, Soyuncu, Benkovic and Vestergaard (and Morgan), I think this is pretty strong 💪🏼 

If we get him in now, it gives Brendan and his team time to work with him. 

I don’t really care what Southampton fans say. Sometimes the fans of the guy we’re after have good reviews, sometimes bad. It doesn’t always work out the way they say it is.

• Like 1

There is clearly only one way to decide this in-forum quandary, specifically, IS HE SH!T?

We should get him in and perform extensive statistical analysis of his performance in training, maybe even get him involved in some games of football.

As long as get this done inside 30 days, we can send him back and get a refund if he does indeed turn out to be said defecant.

3 hours ago, Bert said:

This apparently broke down last week. 

Hopefully someone observed literally any game he played in and realised he has the turning circle of the Titanic and the pace of a snail. How he was ever supposed to fit into a high line I have no idea. Even in a 352 he would be the weak link.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've an issue with it because a permanent deal is likely to cost us £15-20m which for a 4th choice CB who is 27 and has been a flop already in the Prem seems very unnecessary. I'd rather we focused on quality over quantity when it comes to our spends in the next 6-7 months. 

With Mendy and Morgan both likely to leave on free's, potentially Fuchs as well there's going to be squad players that need to be replaced but we also need to buy genuine CL capable quality for both wings, possibly another striker too. We don't have an infinite of money and we ought to focus on bringing in 1 or 2 free transfers if needs be and spend £60-80m on the wide areas where we will see tangible improvement.

Sure we'd be overpaying even if it was for about £15 million, but if he knew he was coming as a squad player and would be happy to stay with us for 5-6 years the continuity he would bring would be useful. We could probably rummage around and find some other centreback that might be better and younger for less money, but then we are just increasing Rodgers' headache for who gets playtime and in 2 years or less one or more of our young players will be agitating for a move. Not to mention, it's more of a gamble - we know Vestergaard under the right conditions is a useful PL centreback, but we don't know what we'll get from another player.

I also don't think it's exactly fair to call him a flop. He just isn't in an environment where he can thrive at Southampton, as his lack of pace is constantly abused by opposing teams and Southampton have had no tool to stop it because like idiots they've just refused to buy any defenders with pace - their backline must be one of the slowest in the PL.

16 hours ago, escos said:

He started against Palace last Tuesday. He played well, and they kept a clean sheet. 

Apologies, transfermarket hadn’t updated :) 

I’m usually captain positive on all transfers, defended Congerton too! 

But this is just a bit weird. 

I think people are going to be underwhelmed, if and when we sign a centre back this month. We are clearly looking for cover for Evans and Soyuncu and want someone who is settled in England and not going to take too long adapt. I think we have better long term targets, for maybe the summer but for now we're looking for a squad filler. Hopefully we've been priced out of spending too much on this guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with him on loan on deadline day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm still at a loss as to why people keep saying "4th choice centre back"?  Wes is 36 - anyone we bring in is going to be ahead of him and obviously of Benkovic.

4th choice next season (behind benko or a new signing if benko is clearly a 'crock')

Edited by st albans fox

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think people are going to be underwhelmed, if and when we sign a centre back this month. We are clearly looking for cover for Evans and Soyuncu and want someone who is settled in England and not going to take too long adapt. I think we have better long term targets, for maybe the summer but for now we're looking for a squad filler. Hopefully we've been priced out of spending too much on this guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with him on loan on deadline day.

:appl:

On 28/01/2020 at 00:01, StriderHiryu said:

Hopefully someone observed literally any game he played in and realised he has the turning circle of the Titanic and the pace of a snail. How he was ever supposed to fit into a high line I have no idea. Even in a 352 he would be the weak link.

Hahaha, turning circle of the Titanic :-D

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

If we were to sign him maybe he could become southhamptons Kramaric:fc:

Kramaric went to another league and did well, Vestergaard would be staying in the same division and country as where he's failed to impress so far. Plenty have done this though and gone on to be a success.

2 hours ago, Solas said:

Hello guys,

first i want to say „Sorry“ for my faulty english. I come from Germany. I have been following your path with great interest for some time.

Although I'm not a fan of Hoffenheim, Bremen or Gladbach (Vestergaards Teams in the Bundesliga), but a Fan of Eintracht Frankfurt, Vestergaard was one of my favourite players, when he was in the Bundesliga.

He was extremly good in tackles and header. Don't look just at his time in the Premier League. His Bundesliga time was only 1 1/2 years ago. He will not have forgotten all of his strength during this time. Maybe it just didn't work at Southhampton. There was a reason why he cost Southampton 25 Million Euros, what is a lot of more money for a Bundesliga Team as for a Premier League team.

I think if he finds his way back to old strength, he will be able to help you a lot.

I wish you good luck for the rest of the season!

Dankeschön. Aber meine Meinung ist nein Danke.