Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

If you can remember the club did not want to sign him....

CP was so adamant that he needed to sign him he did all that he could do do so.

This signing was not a club signing it was a puel signing that should not of gone ahead.

You’ve just made all of that up, none of that was ever reported.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, murphy said:

How do you know?  Diabate was Puel's, we know that because he said so.

I remember after Mahrez leaving Ghezzal was  after Jahkanbash and Elyounoussi in the pecking order of players we tried to sign. 

I know that Puel had worked with Ghezzal previously but by that logic, if you're going to pin Ghezzal on him then you have to credit him for Ricardo too.

Anyway, there are loads of other examples - Slim, Inler, Musa, Silva, Hernandez...

I’d guess he probably was a Puel suggestion, but only after we’d ****ed up about 10 other transfers and we were so desperate we just went with anyone we could get our hands on. Puel also doesn’t decide to pay so much for a player not even wanted. 

Anyway... not sure if poster already but latest from Nixon. I’d be fine with a loan with a view to a permanent.

He’s been rated and performed elsewhere, so it’s not even compatible to someone who hasn’t performed anywhere. He was also in a dog turd of a Saints team mostly.

“Leicester. Have Ben Davies at Preston on standby list if Vestergaard doesnt happen. Foxes still want big Dane. Offering large loan fee and option to buy. Southampton may take it. Would fund Walker Peters at Spurs loan move.”

If we could get Vestergaard on loan then that would be good cover till the summer and then I'd imagine we'd re evaluate in the summer and potentially look at different options. Its obviously very difficult to sign players in Jan unless its ridiculous fees so Vestergaard as back up for Cags and Evans till the summer wouldn't be the worst bit of business. Benkovic could probably do with  being loaned out as well if we do get him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Players don’t sign 2 year deals unless it’s the twilight of their careers ! .........

we need a competent CB to sit on our bench ......who do people expect we will attract ??

There’s plenty of players you can attract, next season the 3rd choice centre back is likely to get a lot of game time. I’m not against the signing as I trust our recruitment just massively underwhelming. 

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Players don’t sign 2 year deals unless it’s the twilight of their careers ! .........

we need a competent CB to sit on our bench ......who do people expect we will attract ??

And where did Demiral fit in with that equation?

We don't need to spend £15m on a 27yo who comes here to be a reserve and with little scope for improvement. We need someone who will push Evans and Soyuncu for their spot especially as Evans is now 32yo. We could play 50 games next season and with rotation between three front line CB's that's an average of 33+ games each.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

And where did Demiral fit in with that equation?

We don't need to spend £15m on a 27yo who comes here to be a reserve and with little scope for improvement. We need someone who will push Evans and Soyuncu for their spot especially as Evans is now 32yo. We could play 50 games next season and with rotation between three front line CB's that's an average of 33+ games each.

Demiral is a top class option that would push our first two - we sign JV to see if benko can hack it playing week after week on loan.

if he can, then he’s our number three CB. If not, then we go for a Demiral level CB but still need a fourth choice as wes will not be playing next season.  JV is that fourth choice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Demiral is a top class option that would push our first two - we sign JV to see if benko can hack it playing week after week on loan.

if he can, then he’s our number three CB. If not, then we go for a Demiral level CB but still need a fourth choice as wes will not be playing next season.  JV is that fourth choice.

A £15m 27yo as 4th choice is terrible business.

No problem buying a Benkovic type signing for similar money, age and potential to fill that role who has the potential to put pressure on the three above him over the next season or two. Perhaps Benkovic will be suited to that role of 4th choice next season but Vestergaard has the hallmarks of a short term fix who will stink the place out for years to come.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Top class would not come without a starting role, where does that leave Caglar or Jonny? Lower class might come. but might not be better than Benko. No easy answer to this one.

I’m not sold on this one either. It’s not the fee, it’s the player. I’ve not seen anything in him apart from gaffes and many Southampton supporting friends can’t believe he’s being linked to a club like us. Ask yourself whether he could do a job in the Champions League... not sure, unless his stats tell a different story I’d prefer to buy a 22/23 year old who’s at the top of that age group.

With Fuchs and Morgan possibly not being here next season, we’ll need to recruit maybe 2 or 3 defenders in the summer window. I’d leave it until then. Hard to do good business in Jan, and this isn’t good business.

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Benkovic hasn't shown enough yet to prove that he is 3rd choice CB, Wes has been trusted with that role ahead of him.  Even if he does well at Derby, it doesn't prove he is ready.  Benkovic should be allowed to develop in his own time but we have a need of quality CB ready to step into Premier League and possibly Champions League games next year,

Vestergaard shouldn't even be in the equation in my opinion, unless as cover for the remainder of this season and only then, if we really can't get anyone in on loan who is better.

How many people thought Soyuncu was ready to fill the role he has when this season started?

Benkovic is a core piece, if he can stay healthy.  If he'd been healthy and had a full camp be might have broken as a starter instead of Soynucu.  Hindsight is always 20-20 but the majority of fans around here had Benkovic ranked ahead of Soyuncu after last season.

• Like 3

Soyuncu has exceeded expectations, I'm sure that most would agree, but you can't say that just because he has, that it means that Benkovic will.  It doesn't work like that, they're all individuals.  

I'm hopeful that in the fullness of time Benkers will be a great player but he isn't there yet.  In the meantime, the club should be looking for quality not farting around wasting money on the likes of Vestergaard.

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

A £15m 27yo as 4th choice is terrible business.

No problem buying a Benkovic type signing for similar money, age and potential to fill that role who has the potential to put pressure on the three above him over the next season or two. Perhaps Benkovic will be suited to that role of 4th choice next season but Vestergaard has the hallmarks of a short term fix who will stink the place out for years to come.

Couldn’t agree more. Have we not learned yet! We keep spunking lots of cash on average players. Buy youngsters with potential or an improvement on the 11.

7 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Top class would not come without a starting role, where does that leave Caglar or Jonny? Lower class might come. but might not be better than Benko. No easy answer to this one.

If we qualify for Champions League next season, we could easily end up playing up to 60 games or more. Given that Brendan sometimes plays a Back-3, we would need at least 3 “top class” (starter-quality) CBs for next season.