Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Wuhan rates are something like 0.2% mortality rate for under 40’s then it grows gradually to 12% for over 80’s. So unfortunately one in every 500 under 40’s will die from this, she was obviously the unfortunate one. 

Which is still way too high. A 39 and 29yo doctor have both died too. What's stupid is playing the odds thinking you and your loved ones will be fine.

I have a friend my age who's diabetic, but you wouldn't know. My boss has high blood pressure, the mechanic building my car had a heart attack a few years back. All these people I care about and plenty more.

Anyone who thinks this is just flu needs to open their eyes to what's happening.

You might catch and shrug it off, but those odds mean you'll likely know someone who doesn't and one just might the fittest person you know, it sucks to be unlucky.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

After a bit of a lul it does now seem to be slowly spiralling out of control in several countries. 

I think the real key is that it's slowing in China (if we believe their stats). So with the right precautions, we can work to slow it down. 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

tbh I'm much more concerned about the stock market crashing and thousands being wiped out of my pension pot because of the fvckin flu.

100%

And this another major problem.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem I can see is the sheer volume of infected people. Especially when health workers get infected. Our NHS will be swamped, not all critical people will get the care they need unfortunately.

Switzerland bans big events

People planning to head to big concerts, conferences or sports games in Switzerland in the coming days will have to think again as the government has just announced that it's suspending all events involving more than 1,000 participants.

The ban comes into immediate effect and will apply at least until 15 March, the government said in a statement.

Switzerland has 15 confirmed cases and more than 100 people there are in quarantine. The country borders northern Italy, which has seen the biggest cluster of cases in Europe.

Wonder how long it will take for the government to bring in similar actions? We're now at 19 cases... 

35 minutes ago, simFox said:

100%

And this another major problem.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem I can see is the sheer volume of infected people. Especially when health workers get infected. Our NHS will be swamped, not all critical people will get the care they need unfortunately.

Was saying in the office yesterday it's probably safer to get it now, get fussed over at the containment units, get better and then lower your risk of re-infection. If things get really bad then the whole health service will be swamped and the mortality rate will skyrocket. 

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Was saying in the office yesterday it's probably safer to get it now, get fussed over at the containment units, get better and then lower your risk of re-infection. If things get really bad then the whole health service will be swamped and the mortality rate will skyrocket. 

I've too had similar thoughts to be honest with you, if someone said you're definitely going to get it, you'd rather get it now than later. At the moment we're sending every case to hospital, if it spiralled out of control they wouldn't be able to do that. 

But saying that, apparently you can catch it twice, so who knows! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

People planning to head to big concerts, conferences or sports games in Switzerland in the coming days will have to think again as the government has just announced that it's suspending all events involving more than 1,000 participants.

The ban comes into immediate effect and will apply at least until 15 March, the government said in a statement.

Switzerland has 15 confirmed cases and more than 100 people there are in quarantine. The country borders northern Italy, which has seen the biggest cluster of cases in Europe.

Wonder how long it will take for the government to bring in similar actions? We're now at 19 cases... 

Important to know: Over here, the federal government and the 26 cantons are advising against seeking a doctor first.

People ought to stay at home and contact an info hotline to start with.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, pds said:

My girlfriend is losing her mind over this! She's convinced we should be keeping my son off school cos he struggles with respiratory things. Pneumonia twice in last few years & regular chest infections etc. Me telling her to calm down is incensing her further.

Tell her she's overreacting and she needs to chill out.

I want to see what she says.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think the real key is that it's slowing in China (if we believe their stats). So with the right precautions, we can work to slow it down. 

The trouble is how vastly and quickly it has spread across the world. Nigeria gets its first case today so who knows how many people that person has come in to contact with. It's spreading around France too. May be a lull in China but I think there's still several more weeks of this to come, if not months where we regularly see new cases around the world. 

35 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Living on an island, i can't see why we haven't put a blanket ban on travel in and out of the country for a couple of weeks. It doesn't start here, but we seem okay with importing the virus into the country.

Because that would destroy the economy, like totally.

you also cant deny repatriation of legal citizens, that would make them refugee's in the country they are in, states take a dim view of that sort of thing.

it just isnt feasible.

What would be more likely is that anyone entering is held in quarantine for x amount of time, that would be massively hard to do though and require internment camps the likes of which we have never seen before.

no outcome is great in this situation.

it just needs to F - Off.

1 minute ago, Cujek said:

Because that would destroy the economy, like totally.

you also cant deny repatriation of legal citizens, that would make them refugee's in the country they are in, states take a dim view of that sort of thing.

it just isnt feasible.

What would be more likely is that anyone entering is held in quarantine for x amount of time, that would be massively hard to do though and require internment camps the likes of which we have never seen before.

no outcome is great in this situation.

it just needs to F - Off.

It isn't just going to F- off though is it. I don't know too much about how quickly virus' spread, apart from, if you find out you've got one, you've probably already spread it to other people and so on and so on, so self-isolation is a bit of after the horse has bolted. If the claims are true, from the scientists, that it could turn into a pandemic that could affect at least 80 million people, i don't know, maybe that's just a made up figure, but you can only go on the information that you've been given, then, until a cure is found, somethings got to be done. Surely we can't just play dumb hoping nothing comes of it.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

It isn't just going to F- off though is it. I don't know too much about how quickly virus' spread, apart from, if you find out you've got one, you've probably already spread it to other people and so on and so on, so self-isolation is a bit of after the horse has bolted. If the claims are true, from the scientists, that it could turn into a pandemic that could affect at least 80 million people, i don't know, maybe that's just a made up figure, but you can only go on the information that you've been given, then, until a cure is found, somethings got to be done. Surely we can't just play dumb hoping nothing comes of it.

you can not just blanket ban all travel into and out of the country, we would run out of food, being an island works both ways.

yes its easier to defend against things like this, if you do close the borders, but on the flip side we rely on food (for one thing) being imported in huge quantities.

when the supermarkets run out of food, the public will riot and loot, it would lead to mass panic.

Think about it, no travel means no imports, no medicine, no food no supplies.

you just cant do it.

the only time it would happen is if everything collapses and then we are doomed.

I am reading all sorts about this from multiple sources, the BBC would have you believe it is the end of the world, some are very obviously anti china propaganda.

I dont know why this virus is so feared if it only has the same mortality rate as the flu, i have read numbers that state it is 1000x more contagious than the flu, i have also read that its no worse than a mild cold.

i do not know what to believe, i am struggling with this one to be honest.

How ever what i do know is that inciting mass panic is not in anyone's best interests.

If i was to offer any advice it would be to have some common sense, wash your hands often and stay calm.

15 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I know. Even had a rather inappropriate fleeting thought of 'I wonder if this is what stops Liverpool winning the title - if they have to cancel the season part way through'. 

I work at a university and I am guessing that if schools are asked to close, we will be as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Living on an island, i can't see why we haven't put a blanket ban on travel in and out of the country for a couple of weeks. It doesn't start here, but we seem okay with importing the virus into the country.

What would a couple of weeks ban do lol?

Anyone else think the advice given by PHE has been inappropriate bordering on stupid?

Seems to me they just want to keep the corporate machine moving rather than making sensible solutions.

For an example:

"Who will take my kids to school?

We recommend that you stay at home for 14 days after arriving from Wuhan or Hubei Province (or elsewhere in China or specified areas if you have symptoms), and avoid public places. Where possible, contact a friend or family member to take your children to school."

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Because within hours we would start running out of things or do you suggest that lorry drivers/pilots be exempt.  Be it food/drugs or raw materials for factories.  And what happens at the end of 2 weeks?  

11 minutes ago, bmt said:

What would a couple of weeks ban do lol?

It's two weeks to know if you've got it from when you catch it therefore, we would know who had it and be able to treat them/isolate them and by preventing new cases coming into the country we would be able to control the spread by checking new arrivals into the country. LOL

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's two weeks to know if you've got it from when you catch it therefore, we would know who had it and be able to treat them/isolate them and by preventing new cases coming into the country we would be able to control the spread by checking new arrivals into the country. LOL

Ok, Im buying...  At the end of 2 weeks you'd know no one in the UK had it.  Then you open the borders again and quarantine everyone coming in for 14 days.  That's really not going to work.  Heathrow has approx 200,000 folk coming in and going out everyday.  I'd guess it's about 50/50 otherwise we'd either fill up or empty quite quickly.  Therefore approx 100,000 arrive everyday.  Where the hell are 1.4 million people going to stay in quarantine?