Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Anyone else find it odd that an American company (Gilead Sciences) already has the (sole) antidote for the virus available?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/02/26/gilead-sciences-initiates-late-stage-testing-of-it.aspx

I would like to find out more about how the corona virus came about - is it the result of a natural development (regular mutation) or man-made (in the US or China)?

The latter scenario is particularly scary, as you can imagine.

Except the drug mentioned in the article hasn't actually been shown to work against coronavirus yet, that's what they're just about to test. They had already made it ages ago for ebola but probably came too late to be of any use in that outbreak. Probably trying to recoup some of their investment hoping it will work against corona. Everyone's trying random existing antivirals like HIV drugs in the hope it will work.. None so far have been properly proven to work, including this one. 

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Oh, and face masks won't help against the virus.

They only help people who are suffering from influenza already, so not to spread the virus any further.

Talking about panic buys.

It is effective when used properly, there's been evidence from Wuhan that the infection rate among medical staff dropped significantly after they started diligently using N95 (FFP2) masks.

WHO also recommend wearing said masks to healthcare staff and relatives of confirmed cases, now why would they do that if it was useless? It's not recommended (yet) for the healthy general population because of low risk and people not using it properly (eg reaching under their masks to scratch their noses). But to say face masks don't help against catching the virus is inaccurate. 

6 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

The (average) mortality rate in the case of the corona virus has been misreported. The currently highest number available is around 2,8%, stemming from Hubei province in China, where Wuhan, the epicenter, is located. For the rest of China, for instance, it's less than 0,2% at present. So, you're looking at a factor of 20 compared to regular seasonal flu right now. Experts say the global maximum value could rise up to 0,4% in the end.

It's also said that the corona virus is threatening elderly people mostly, or people with a weaker immune system, for that matter.

The vast majority of us will be fine.

Even the WHO is criticizing the "infodemic".

I concur with the notion that we should neither ignore the issue, nor blow it out of proportion. Common sense should prevail.

Seasonal influenza pops up in new variations every year, regularly killing thousands of people. And the media and we don't particularly care, do we?

Well outside of China, with the very limited numbers infected (only 3,000-4,000 reported), the mortality rate is just shy of 0.9%. We shouldn't go crazy and buy all the beans in the shops, but also we should not be complacent. Consider 0.9% is the general mortality rate, if it infects as many as the lower estimates of Swine Flu, then we could expect upwards to 7 million to die. With the higher estimates, 14 million could die. And by all accounts this is more infectious than Swine Flu was. However, the NHS say that many older people were already immune to Swine Flu. But yes, those generally healthy should be able to recover from it, it's the very old and very young that are most at risk. It depends entirely on how and where it spreads, the poorer regions of Africa is where I fear for most.

This is the problem with virality, is we just don't know where it's going to go.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Probably a stupid question that no one can remotely answer yet but is a 3 month trip to SE Asia in July-October time looking much less likely? Luckily haven't booked anything yet.

I mean, they are talking about the Olympics being postponed they are due to start 24th July in Japan.

Make of it all what you will but i am seriously worried about my trip to France in 3 weeks and my holiday to France in June.

I hope it all just blows over, but i am fearing the worst, some of what i am reading / hearing about what is going in China is downright scary.

'This is your window of opportunity'

In a news conference, WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to take action against the virus. He insisted it was still possible to stop its rapid spread.

"My message to each of these countries is - this is your window of opportunity," he said.

"If you act aggressively now, you can contain this virus, you can prevent people getting sick, you can save lives."

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

'This is your window of opportunity'

In a news conference, WHO head Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged countries to take action against the virus. He insisted it was still possible to stop its rapid spread.

"My message to each of these countries is - this is your window of opportunity," he said.

"If you act aggressively now, you can contain this virus, you can prevent people getting sick, you can save lives."

Brb just punching everyone I see.

• Haha 1

My earlier post about seasonal flu rates was inaccurate I apologise. However, what I would like to make clear is that unless you have a compromised immune system, there is absolutely zero point in living in fear and stopping everything because of Coronavirus. Watch last night's Newsnight, there was a really and importantly INFORMED discussion on Coronavirus and there really is no need to live on the edge.

18 hours ago, z-layrex said:

We booked through trailfinders. They said as long as the uk government says it's ok to travel there there's nothing they can do. Basically, "we have your money so **** you you're going to Asia".

I'm happy to go, but my wife is really worried and it's our honeymoon I want her to be happy. We cant afford to lose 6k though, we dont earn a lot and this was a once in a lifetime trip.

Sorry for that..We also used to travel with base insurance,but Not the extra cover..

You said your Not going until April..So Keep your eye on Foreign Office travel suggestions.Just in Case Vietnam comes in their reckoning.

If so,transformers are associated with ATOL,so at least,flight costs should be returned. Plus any forced quarantened Delay there are supported costs,even

If you go ahead... If

What about asking for an extra delayed Insurance ,by trailfinders,or even informing yourself if you took out a travel Insurance with someone else,..eg:  The AA.( If a member), ABI /AXA or another....!!

if you also booked by card,you also might have Part Insurance.....

Even if you go ahead...Read all possibilities,especially gov.FCO Status & statements, and direct ATOL suggestions and possibilities.

Not over trailfinders,but do your own 10 Minute to 1 hours homework....

Whatever happens Enjoy your honeymoon and travels....

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

My earlier post about seasonal flu rates was inaccurate I apologise. However, what I would like to make clear is that unless you have a compromised immune system, there is absolutely zero point in living in fear and stopping everything because of Coronavirus. Watch last night's Newsnight, there was a really and importantly INFORMED discussion on Coronavirus and there really is no need to live on the edge.

Screenshot_20200227-202227.jpg

Just had an email about the Corona virus from my kids' school written in the exhausted tone of someone who's been fending off twats all day, which helpfully confirmed there are no cases of it there, as if there might have been.

The most terse communication they've issued since that time parents 'expressed concern' about a trip to the mosque

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Just read that a Japanese patient who recovered has tested positive for a second time? 

There's already a number of cases in China where recovered patients tested positive a second time, but interestingly none of the 'second positives' infected any of their contacts the second time round. Fingers crossed its either a quirk of the way the test works, or the remaining viral load is too low to be infectious.

Edited by brucey

Apparently someone in Leicester has it that travelled back from Italy but didn't report it until 2 days after she came back. She didn't realise at the time that the place she had returned from was high-risk and is now self-isolating. However in those 2 days she's been to work and her job is in a large retail store...

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Apparently someone in Leicester has it that travelled back from Italy but didn't report it until 2 days after she came back. She didn't realise at the time that the place she had returned from was high-risk and is now self-isolating. However in those 2 days she's been to work and her job is in a large retail store...

Sounds like an ASDA employee to me.

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If she’s confirmed to have the virus she would have been taken to hospital already, instead of self isolating. Presume this is just a suspected, not confirmed case?

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

If she’s confirmed to have the virus she would have been taken to hospital already, instead of self isolating. Presume this is just a suspected, not confirmed case?

Yeah it's suspected and she was advised to self-isolate. Apparently someone goes in a taxi to her house and posts a self-test kit through the letterbox to her. But if she does have it, it's worrying how many people she may have come in to contact with even in the space of 2 days.