Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

21 hours ago, brucey said:

I just don’t think it’s appropriate to joke about people getting a potentially fatal disease. You wouldn’t say “I hope all Derby supporters get cancer and die”, even jokingly, so not sure why people feel it’s okay to do so in this situation.

That’s the left for you though Brucey- they can be pretty nasty. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's called gallows humour. It's a thing.

19 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Doesn’t seem to be any room for black humour any more. Actually not even sure we’re allowed to say that any more.

Maybe someone can explain black humour to me, because my understanding of it is clearly different from everyone else’s. I always thought it was a victim making a joke at the situation they found themselves in?

If an elderly guy with a bunch of existing diseases said “At least if I catch it, I won’t have to take my medications anymore” (implying he is likely to die from it and won’t be needing meds while dead), that is the kind of thing that comes to mind when I think of black humour.

I don’t think “I hope that everyone who has a different political opinion from me dies” counts as black humour. Is that just me? Are people with a different religious opinion fair game too?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, brucey said:

Maybe someone can explain black humour to me, because my understanding of it is clearly different from everyone else’s. I always thought it was a victim making a joke at the situation they found themselves in?

If an elderly guy with a bunch of existing diseases said “At least if I catch it, I won’t have to take my medications anymore” (implying he is likely to die from it and won’t be needing meds while dead), that is the kind of thing that comes to mind when I think of black humour.

I don’t think “I hope that everyone who has a different political opinion from me dies” counts as black humour. Is that just me? Are people with a different religious opinion fair game too?

Tbh I dont have a problem with the 'joke' myself, not to my personal taste but hardly worth getting upset about. But if someone was to come along to say 'I hope it selects everyone on benefits' or 'I hope it selects Greta's acolytes', I can guess who'd be along wailing about 'punching down'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, brucey said:

Nope, that is not the definition of black humour, this is...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/black-humour

A humorous way of looking at or treating something that is serious or sad.

What you're defining is irony.

Think of Heathers, The Addams Family, or the classic Arsenic and Old Lace, in which, notably, none of the main characters find themselves the subject of the bad things occurring.  

It's a way of processing the terrible world we live in, and it's not meant to be unkind to anyone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's a way of processing the terrible world we live in, and it's not meant to be unkind to anyone.

Fair enough. Still don’t think it’s very humorous, but maybe that’s why I’ve never been able to find stand-up comedy funny.

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Fair enough. Still don’t think it’s very humorous, but maybe that’s why I’ve never been able to find stand-up comedy funny.

What, even Peter Kay

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Peter+Kay+Funnies&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dPeter%2bKay%2bFunnies%26Form%3dVDRSCL%26%3d0&view=detail&mid=D867C60360F84B1F9C25D867C60360F84B1F9C25&&FORM=VDRVRV

Edited by Parafox

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I'd love to know how you arrived at the conclusion that I'm left wing? 

You're wrong, btw 

I love how getting accused of being left wing, takes higher priority of rebuttal than getting accused of being nasty. Fair play :appl:lol

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The journalistic and political scaremongering really annoys me. Yes it's possible this could become pandemic, which means it's an infection that involves every continent on earth, even if it's only 1 confirmed case on that continent. However, let's get things in perspective; European flu killed nearly 2,000 people in the UK last year, so far 3, yes THREE, people have died in this country from Corona virus. The statement from the DoH, quoted in the Independent, suggested that this thing could kill 800,000 people in the UK "IN THE WORST CASE SCENARIO", which will never materialise, has been jumped on by the press and they sensationalise it and push the fear factor as if it was the Black Plague all over again.

What they should be repeating over and over again is that basic hygiene will contain it. Wash your hands regularly. If you have symptoms and you've recently returned from foreign travel, don't go to any health care facility, phone 111 for advice.

The people most at risk are the elderly, particularly those with respiratory illnesses or pre-existing conditions that might be a factor in their ability to fight the illness and that's just the same as for European flu. There's no need to panic despite the press wanting it.

Not sure if you're trolling or actually just genuinely a bit thick.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The journalistic and political scaremongering really annoys me. Yes it's possible this could become pandemic, which means it's an infection that involves every continent on earth, even if it's only 1 confirmed case on that continent. However, let's get things in perspective; European flu killed nearly 2,000 people in the UK last year, so far 3, yes THREE, people have died in this country from Corona virus. The statement from the DoH, quoted in the Independent, suggested that this thing could kill 800,000 people in the UK "IN THE WORST CASE SCENARIO", which will never materialise, has been jumped on by the press and they sensationalise it and push the fear factor as if it was the Black Plague all over again.

What they should be repeating over and over again is that basic hygiene will contain it. Wash your hands regularly. If you have symptoms and you've recently returned from foreign travel, don't use public transport, don't go shopping, don't go to any health care facility. Stay at home and phone 111 for advice.

The people most at risk are the elderly, particularly those with respiratory illnesses or pre-existing conditions that might be a factor in their ability to fight the illness and that's just the same as for European flu. There's no need to panic despite the press wanting it.

This country is fvcked then.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Matter of opinion. I don think humour should be restricted much unless it can be construed as bullying an individual.

https://short-funny.com/sarcasm-black-humor.php

Admittedly, modern sensibilities seem to be more fragile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simFox said:

Not sure if you're trolling or actually just genuinely a bit thick.

I take it you don't work in health care or have any other perception of reality except what the press feeds you.:dunno:

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What they should be repeating over and over again is that basic hygiene will contain it. Wash your hands regularly. If you have symptoms and you've recently returned from foreign travel, don't use public transport, don't go shopping, don't go to any health care facility. Stay at home and phone 111 for advice.

I hear 111 is already inundated with people returning from actual high risk areas waiting hours to get through, then days for a call back to get some actual advice (which has been conflicting in some cases). Not sure putting even more strain on the 111 service will help, even without considering the people who are actually unwell with other conditions not being able to get through for advice and pitching up to an overstretched A&E instead.

I’m worried. Not particularly for myself as I’m in the low risk demographic, but it seems that this can be transmitted and carried by asymptomatic healthy people. As someone working in the NHS I’m sure you understand that a single asymptomatic medical worker infecting vulnerable patients could get bad very quickly. Yes flu is also worse in the elderly, but early indications suggest this has a 10x death rate compared to flu.

On 29/02/2020 at 15:12, brucey said:

I just don’t think it’s appropriate to joke about people getting a potentially fatal disease. You wouldn’t say “I hope all Derby supporters get cancer and die”, even jokingly, so not sure why people feel it’s okay to do so in this situation.

You are right. This sort of thing is not to be sneezed at.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I love how getting accused of being left wing, takes higher priority of rebuttal than getting accused of being nasty. Fair play :appl:lol

Call me nasty, call me a cvnt, I can cope. But call me left wing? That's on a whole different level of insult lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, brucey said:

I hear 111 is already inundated with people returning from actual high risk areas waiting hours to get through, then days for a call back to get some actual advice (which has been conflicting in some cases). Not sure putting even more strain on the 111 service will help, even without considering the people who are actually unwell with other conditions not being able to get through for advice and pitching up to an overstretched A&E instead.

I’m worried. Not particularly for myself as I’m in the low risk demographic, but it seems that this can be transmitted and carried by asymptomatic healthy people. As someone working in the NHS I’m sure you understand that a single asymptomatic medical worker infecting vulnerable patients could get bad very quickly. Yes flu is also worse in the elderly, but early indications suggest this has a 10x death rate compared to flu.

And highly transmissible, R0 being 4-6 times worse and over longer periods, by asymptomatic people. You've only got to open your eyes and look what's happening in China and now playing out in Iran and Italy.

Its not just the effects of people dying or the strain on the NHS, this could put us in a global recession that will make us all suffer.

This virus is very unlikely to kill you. It’s very unlikely to infect you for that matter.

I’m concerned because it may ruin my extensive holiday planning however. I think in the main the people getting all worked up about this will be the same type of people that got worked up about the millennium bug and every other nonsense thing pushed by the media for sales lol 

• Like 1