Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Face mask prices (Particularly the ones that give adequate protection - FFP2/3) going mad on ebay. Now at x3 normal prices for a box of 10, and x5 normal prices for a single mask. Imagine what it’ll be like once it actually starts to spread in the UK. Worrying

16 minutes ago, simFox said:

I'm planning on going to Germany in April. I haven't booked the ferry yet, really can't see it happening at this rate.

Currently out in Africa working, never thought it would be a safer place to be!

Where do you want to go in Germany....

10 hours ago, Lionator said:

Pandemic’s happened way before international travel existed.

That is also a very worse case scenario that that many people will catch it, scare mongering at its finest. 

Please don’t panic, just wash your hands like you should do anyway and continue with normal everyday life. 

I'm not sure which Pandemics you are referring to or how far back in history you are going. There are pandemics which can be isolated to one country or Global pandemics. What you can't argue with surely is International travel has the potential to spread this type of 'New' virus globally, extremely efficiently.

19 minutes ago, brucey said:

Face mask prices (Particularly the ones that give adequate protection - FFP2/3) going mad on ebay. Now at x3 normal prices for a box of 10, and x5 normal prices for a single mask. Imagine what it’ll be like once it actually starts to spread in the UK. Worrying

Ebay.de & Amazon,seem to have the normal prices..depends On Quality within ffp2/3 range....€12-180-200 range..!!

Ps. I looked 2 weeks ago..I See no Price difference at the moment..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

We have our honeymoon in Vietnam in April, I really hope this isn't going to ruin it we've spent so much money...

If you cancel Now much would you lose...% Wise.?? Cant you state special world-wide, travel circumstances due to Corona.

Plus it could cost the Insurance even more if you were both  quarantined...

Obviously different,if you still want to go..!!

46 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Probably a stupid question that no one can remotely answer yet but is a 3 month trip to SE Asia in July-October time looking much less likely? Luckily haven't booked anything yet.

Yes correct.

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

If you cancel Now much would you lose...% Wise.?? Cant you state special world-wide, travel circumstances due to Corona.

Plus it could cost the Insurance even more if you were both  quarantined...

Obviously different,if you still want to go..!!

We're not insured...

34 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We're not insured...

There is an automatic Base insurance,ist there??? Flights...??

ATOL..??  Cover Out of your control..is On all flights...Whether it Covers Corona..:dunno:

Edited by fuchsntf

3 hours ago, brucey said:

Face mask prices (Particularly the ones that give adequate protection - FFP2/3) going mad on ebay. 

But they don't necessarily. These will admittedly filter out liquid aerosols down to 0.3 microns, 2019-nCoV measures between .05 and 0.2 microns in diameter. Moreover, if the fitting is poor, then you are still vulnerable. The only benefit of such panic buys is that they could reduce transmission. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

There is an automatic Base insurance,ist there??? Flights...??

ATOL..??  Cover Out of your control..is On all flights...Whether it Covers Corona..:dunno:

We booked through trailfinders. They said as long as the uk government says it's ok to travel there there's nothing they can do. Basically, "we have your money so **** you you're going to Asia".

I'm happy to go, but my wife is really worried and it's our honeymoon I want her to be happy. We cant afford to lose 6k though, we dont earn a lot and this was a once in a lifetime trip.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Where the hell have you got this from?

Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of <0.01%, this has a mortality rate of around 2% - that's 200 times a worse mortality rate. The mortality rate is on a completely different scale to seasonal flu.

It's in the news exactly because it's mortality rate is so much worse than seasonal flu, becoming widespread. Seasonal flu kills hundreds of thousands of people a year because it infects so many people a year, if this Corona virus did end up becoming as widespread as seasonal flu tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions would be dead and this is spreading a lot more rapidly than swine flu did as well.

Not being funny, I agree that people should still be booking holidays and still have to live their lives, but equally this "it's only in the news due to overreaction" I see from some is quite frankly staggering. 

In an age where there's so much crap in the news, the media and international government's response to potentially the most destructive pandemic since Spanish flu while its still in its early stages is absolutely proportional and is displaying one of the most important purposes of media and government.

I agree people should live their lives, but anyone batting this off as a media or government overreaction is being naive and not looking at the data. Theres a good reason we never saw anything even remotely ike this international level of quarantine during swine flu or SARs outbreaks and that's because this could very,  very easily become way, way worse.

The media’s coverage has certainly been different this time.

59 minutes ago, Line-X said:

But they don't necessarily. These will admittedly filter out liquid aerosols down to 0.3 microns, 2019-nCoV measures between .05 and 0.2 microns in diameter. Moreover, if the fitting is poor, then you are still vulnerable. The only benefit of such panic buys is that they could reduce transmission. 

If you have any kind of facial hair or just prominent facial features like a large nose, the masks dont work. I work with airborne highly infectious diseases patients and we all have regular fit testing. The masks do nothing for me and many others (usually men) so I have to wear a powered hood.

Edited by z-layrex

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

If you have any kind of facial hair or just prominent facial features like a large nose, the masks dont work. I work with airborne highly infectious diseases patients and we all have regular fit testing. The masks do nothing for me and many others (usually men) so I have to wear a powered hood.

Need pics of Gonzo sized nose.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of <0.01%, and swine flu had about 0.05% - this has a mortality rate of around 2% - that's 200 times a worse mortality rate than seasonal flu and 40 times more deadly than swine flu. The mortality rate is on a completely different scale to seasonal flu and even swine flu.

It's in the news exactly because it's mortality rate is so much worse than seasonal flu, becoming widespread. Seasonal flu kills hundreds of thousands of people a year because it infects so many people a year, if this Corona virus did end up becoming as widespread as seasonal flu or swine flu, tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions would be dead.

Not being funny, I agree that people should still be booking holidays and still have to live their lives, but equally this "it's only in the news due to overreaction" I see from some is quite frankly staggering and it's exactly the kind of complacency that would cause such a catastrophic pandemic to end up happening.

In an age where there's so much crap in the news, the media and international government's response to potentially the most destructive pandemic since Spanish flu while its still in its early stages is absolutely proportional and is displaying one of the most important purposes of media and government.

I agree people should live their lives, but anyone batting this off as a media or government overreaction is being naive and not looking at the data. Theres a good reason we never saw anything even remotely like this international level of quarantine during swine flu or SARs outbreaks and that's because this is clearly a bit different and could very,  very easily become way, way worse.

Also, if only the cases with a final outcome (recover or die) are counted, the death percentage currently stands at 8% though falling. I’d argue that this is more relevant than the simpler deaths/total cases percentage, currently around 3.5%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Having said that, we don’t know how accurate the base data is. If the number of deaths are correct but the number of cases is under reported, either due to authorities skewing figures, or because some milder infections are going undetected, then the death rate could be significantly lower.

Figures do not lend themselves to simplistic calculation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Apparently there’s actual official guidance on this from the CDC..

image.png.3ea10e464a0d341f9be3544922f4846d.png
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/FacialHairWmask11282017-508.pdf

9 hours ago, simFox said:

I'm planning on going to Germany in April. I haven't booked the ferry yet, really can't see it happening at this rate.

Currently out in Africa working, never thought it would be a safer place to be!

Welcome to the continent. Where are you? And what are you doing? I'm pretty sure it's not being tested for and/or covered up!

9 hours ago, Sampson said:

Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of <0.01%, and swine flu had about 0.05% - this has a mortality rate of around 2% - that's 200 times a worse mortality rate than seasonal flu and 40 times more deadly than swine flu. The mortality rate is on a completely different scale to seasonal flu and even swine flu.

It's in the news exactly because it's mortality rate is so much worse than seasonal flu, becoming widespread. Seasonal flu kills hundreds of thousands of people a year because it infects so many people a year, if this Corona virus did end up becoming as widespread as seasonal flu or swine flu, tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions would be dead.

Not being funny, I agree that people should still be booking holidays and still have to live their lives, but equally this "it's only in the news due to overreaction" I see from some is quite frankly staggering and it's exactly the kind of complacency that would cause such a catastrophic pandemic to end up happening.

I agree people should live their lives, but anyone batting this off as a media or government overreaction is being naive and not looking at the data. Theres a good reason we never saw anything even remotely like this international level of quarantine during swine flu or SARs outbreaks and that's because this is clearly a bit different and could very,  very easily become way, way worse.

The (average) mortality rate in the case of the corona virus has been misreported. The currently highest number available is around 2,8%, stemming from Hubei province in China, where Wuhan, the epicenter, is located. For the rest of China, for instance, it's less than 0,2% at present. So, you're looking at a factor of 20 compared to regular seasonal flu right now. Experts say the global maximum value could rise up to 0,4% in the end.

It's also said that the corona virus is threatening elderly people mostly, or people with a weaker immune system, for that matter.

The vast majority of us will be fine.

Even the WHO is criticizing the "infodemic".

I concur with the notion that we should neither ignore the issue, nor blow it out of proportion. Common sense should prevail.

Seasonal influenza pops up in new variations every year, regularly killing thousands of people. And the media and we don't particularly care, do we?

Edited by MC Prussian

Anyone else find it odd that an American company (Gilead Sciences) already has the (sole) antidote for the virus available?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/02/26/gilead-sciences-initiates-late-stage-testing-of-it.aspx

I would like to find out more about how the corona virus came about - is it the result of a natural development (regular mutation) or man-made (in the US or China)?

The latter scenario is particularly scary, as you can imagine.