Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

31 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I don't understand why governments lie about the amount of cases. Why are Iran and China hiding this? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51612520

Global financial markets saw some of the sharpest falls in years on Monday after a rise in coronavirus cases renewed fears about economic slowdown.

Easily explained.

11 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I don't understand why governments lie about the amount of cases. Why are Iran and China hiding this? 

Maybe they don't want to appear weak in the case of Iran, they have quite a few enemies. China likely for economic reasons, investment etc.

There’s a woman due to attend my training course today rang me last night to say she can’t make it. Apparently her son came back from a school trip in Italy and has a cold so the school sent him home saying don’t come back until he’s got the all clear from this Corona virus. The GP won’t see him face to face and told them to ring NHS direct instead. The woman told her work and they said stay away for 14 days and ‘quarantine’ herself and her son.

Seems like a massive over reaction to me but better to be safe than sorry I guess?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

There’s a woman due to attend my training course today rang me last night to say she can’t make it. Apparently her son came back from a school trip in Italy and has a cold so the school sent him home saying don’t come back until he’s got the all clear from this Corona virus. The GP won’t see him face to face and told them to ring NHS direct instead. The woman told her work and they said stay away for 14 days and ‘quarantine’ herself and her son.

Seems like a massive over reaction to me but better to be safe than sorry I guess?

That seems to be the official advice, as N. Italy is the centre of Europe's biggest outbreak:

- Quarantine if you've been anywhere in N. Italy and have any flu-like symptoms

- Quarantine if you've been to 11 specific N. Italian towns, even if you have no symptoms

The first cases in Croatia, Austria & Switzerland have reportedly all been linked to Italy, as have the cases in the hotel under lockdown in Tenerife....

• Thanks 1

On the negative side, it looks increasingly as if it's going to be a case of limiting the impact, rather than containing the virus to particular areas

On the positive side, apparently all such viruses tend to be much less infectious as the weather warms.....so the further we get into spring without mayhem, the better it looks in the short-term

Back on the negative, they seem to expect it to take perhaps a year to develop a workable antidote, so it might subside & then return in the late autumn....

Ah, well! Yer bog standard flu virus does plenty of damage every winter & we adapt to that.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Unfortunstely International travel makes it virtually impossible to prevent this becoming a pandemic as it seems to be exceptionally contagious.

Just heard on the news the expectations are 4 out of 5 of people in the UK will become infected.

Pandemic’s happened way before international travel existed.

That is also a very worse case scenario that that many people will catch it, scare mongering at its finest. 

Please don’t panic, just wash your hands like you should do anyway and continue with normal everyday life. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Unfortunstely International travel makes it virtually impossible to prevent this becoming a pandemic as it seems to be exceptionally contagious.

Just heard on the news the expectations are 4 out of 5 of people in the UK will become infected.

I doubt whether anybody can really predict with any degree of certainty at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guvnor said:

Mmm really?? I beg to differ

3 hours ago, The Guvnor said:

Remember when the government ordered something like 10 million body bags when swine flu was apparently going to kill us all?

Where did you hear 4 out of 5 will be infected from? 

5 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Have a holiday booked in April in North Italy.. I pray I can go

I just pulled out,on planning a tour..including the lakes....and further down into Toskana.( Tuscany)

i will wait and see,how it Swings & developes  ....

Fourtuntely One can wait until the last minute,to many destinations,so long as one heeds the school and state holidays...They have changed a little for this year..

One has to Think Not just on the Virus per se, but what actions might be taken on any Local new / continuing outbreaks. World wide,not just Italy .

One will have to also budget,for possible detained quaranteen.Insurance wont pay out for all extra instances and situations.

Also Any new employment policy....2-4 weeks Maybe more  extra Off Work being (knowingly) caught up/ refused return travel from known or reported Designated  Coronavirus locations. Plus Companies having employees rightly refusing to travel on firms behalf...

Edited by fuchsntf

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

On the negative side, it looks increasingly as if it's going to be a case of limiting the impact, rather than containing the virus to particular areas

On the positive side, apparently all such viruses tend to be much less infectious as the weather warms.....so the further we get into spring without mayhem, the better it looks in the short-term

Back on the negative, they seem to expect it to take perhaps a year to develop a workable antidote, so it might subside & then return in the late autumn....

Ah, well! Yer bog standard flu virus does plenty of damage every winter & we adapt to that.....

Errm .Some locations have been also warmer /Temperant climes. 

Edited by fuchsntf

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

And this will be why it keeps spreading because people have this attitude towards it, it may not be corona virus but people need to use a little common sense, around a 1000 people are stuck in an hotel in Tenerife because a doctor who was treating corona virus patients in Italy didn’t have the common sense that he might have it himself and decided to go on holiday 

13 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Errm .Some locations have been also warmer climes. 

I'm no expert - and wasn't claiming that it's impossible to catch such a virus in a warm climate. :D

But it is a well-established fact that viruses like influenza are much more prevalent in the winter than the summer, in the respective hemispheres.....and the experts expect coronavirus to be the same.

There seem to be various suggestions as to why this seasonal variation happens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season#Cause

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Just an Outtakes in a report...

In 2007, the World Health Organisation warned that emerging infectious diseases are becoming a growing threat in the face of increasing urbanisation, antimicrobial resistance and climate change.

While the relationship between the new coronavirus and climate change is tenuous at best, a warming climate will exacerbate the emergence of other novel infectious diseases in the future.

Rising global temp

Milder and shorter winters also benefit potential disease-carrying agents, such as mosquitoes and rats, as they can stay active and breed for longer and earlier in the season. Warmer climates also allow them to travel further up north and to higher altitudes, bypassing borders and bringing diseases to new regions.

While the relationship between the new coronavirus and climate change is tenuous at best, a warming climate will exacerbate the emergence of other novel infectious diseases in the future.

Rising global temperatures will shorten winter seasons – in 2019, Hong Kong experienced only three days
when temperatures dropped to 12 degrees Celsius or below. Certain infectious diseases  thrive better in warm temperatures.

Compounding a warming climate is the change in the water cycle. Heavy rainfalls and floods will become more likely and intense. Heavy precipitation forms pools of stagnant water, which are prime breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

Lastly, climate change may also make habitats unsuitable

for wildlife through warming temperatures and sea level rise. Along with other ecological disturbances, such as urbanisation and deforestation, wild animals may be forced to seek refuge in urban areas, bringing themselves and potential novel diseases into closer contact with domestic animals and us.

Food for thought..!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm no expert - and wasn't claiming that it's impossible to catch such a virus in a warm climate. :D

But it is a well-established fact that viruses like influenza are much more prevalent in the winter than the summer, in the respective hemispheres.....and the experts expect coronavirus to be the same.

There seem to be various suggestions as to why this seasonal variation happens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season#Cause

Just Posted anew..worth a read..

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I just pulled out,on planning a tour..including the lakes....and further down into Toskana.( Tuscany)

i will wait and see,how it Swings & developes  ....

Fourtuntely One can wait until the last minute,to many destinations,so long as one heeds the school and state holidays...They have changed a little for this year..

One has to Think Not just on the Virus per se, but what actions might be taken on any Local new / continuing outbreaks. World wide,not just Italy .

One will have to also budget,for possible detained quaranteen.Insurance wont pay out for all extra instances and situations.

Also Any new employment policy....2-4 weeks Maybe more  extra Off Work being (knowingly) caught up/ refused return travel from known or reported Designated  Coronavirus locations. Plus Companies having employees rightly refusing to travel on firms behalf...

For a moment I thought you were quoting a speech made by the Queen

• Haha 1