Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

On 26/02/2020 at 18:54, brucey said:

Face mask prices (Particularly the ones that give adequate protection - FFP2/3) going mad on ebay. Now at x3 normal prices for a box of 10, and x5 normal prices for a single mask. Imagine what it’ll be like once it actually starts to spread in the UK. Worrying

I'm pretty sure I read a face mask won't reduce your chances of catching corona virus, but it will stop you spreading it if you are infectious.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah it's suspected and she was advised to self-isolate. Apparently someone goes in a taxi to her house and throws a self-test kit attached to a brick through her window. But if she does have it, it's worrying how many people she may have come in to contact with even in the space of 2 days.

Corrected for you. :D 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, simFox said:

Screenshot_20200227-202227.jpg

I assume you posted that to disprove the point you're only likely to die if you have a compromised immune system. Just because the she was young and played sport doesn't mean she was 100% healthy. She could have had numerous conditions and still played. We've seen footballer play for years and then suddenly drop dead with a heart defect.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I'm pretty sure I read a face mask won't reduce your chances of catching corona virus, but it will stop you spreading it if you are infectious.

I’ve read that too but I think that quote referred to the regular blue rectangular type of surgical mask, not the industrial type of respirator mask. There’s varying opinions out there, but I personally believe there’s sufficient evidence to say that the properly sealed ones do help.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8050587/Coronavirus-face-masks-selling-one-buy.html

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I assume you posted that to disprove the point you're only likely to die if you have a compromised immune system. Just because the she was young and played sport doesn't mean she was 100% healthy. She could have had numerous conditions and still played. We've seen footballer play for years and then suddenly drop dead with a heart defect.

Immunocompromised people are far more likely to die from the virus, I don’t think anyone’s disputing that.

I think the point is that completely healthy people can die from the virus too, just less frequently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

The government seem to disagree with you there. If its what is recommended for hospital staff going in to treat patients with it then FFP3 is I guess what you need. This is why the prices have gone up. Simple case of supply and demand. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-wn-cov-infection-prevention-and-control-guidance#PPE

Edited by hejammy

5 hours ago, brucey said:

Immunocompromised people are far more likely to die from the virus, I don’t think anyone’s disputing that.

I think the point is that completely healthy people can die from the virus too, just less frequently. 

@simFox can laugh at my post if he wants, but I'm well aware that anyone could die from it. Firstly his post could be interpreted either way, and secondly he knows nothing about the medical history of the woman that died, so to use that as proof that is stupid.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

@simFox can laugh at my post if he wants, but I'm well aware that anyone could die from it. Firstly his post could be interpreted either way, and secondly he knows nothing about the medical history of the woman that died, so to use that as proof that is stupid.

Wuhan rates are something like 0.2% mortality rate for under 40’s then it grows gradually to 12% for over 80’s. So unfortunately one in every 500 under 40’s will die from this, she was obviously the unfortunate one. 

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

tbh I'm much more concerned about the stock market crashing and thousands being wiped out of my pension pot because of the fvckin flu.

Honestly can't tell if you're being serious here or not.

I mean, panic is likely to cause worse problems than Covid-19 can by itself but I'm not sure yours, mine or anyone else's money really is the priority on this one? Except for the disaster capitalists looking to make bank off death and suffering anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Honestly can't tell if you're being serious here or not.

I mean, panic is likely to cause worse problems than Covid-19 can by itself but I'm not sure yours, mine or anyone else's money really is the priority on this one? Except for the disaster capitalists looking to make bank off death and suffering anyway.

Why would he not be being serious? Some people are relying on these pensions to live after retirement. :huh:

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Why would he not be being serious? Some people are relying on these pensions to live after retirement. :huh:

...and other people are simply worrying about staying alive right now, rather than in relative comfort after they hit 65.

With all due respect...if it is serious, it is understandable but also extremely callous.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...and other people are simply worrying about staying alive right now, rather than in relative comfort after they hit 65.

With all due respect...if it is serious, it is understandable but also extremely callous.

Why is it callous? He's not asking them to die ffs. 

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Why is it callous? He's not asking them to die ffs. 

I'm not going to speak for Izzy's intentions because he's a good bloke who does an awful lot of good work on here in the Depression thread in particular - which is why I wasn't sure whether or not he was making a joke and I didn't want to assume and thus give the benefit of the doubt.

But...my own take is that someone inferring that they believe their own financial portfolio to be more important than other peoples health and lives is callous.

Edited by leicsmac

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm not going to speak for Izzy's intentions because he's a good bloke who does an awful lot of good work on here in the Depression thread in particular - which is why I wasn't sure whether or not he was making a joke and I didn't want to assume and thus give the benefit of the doubt.

But...my own take is that someone inferring that they believe their own financial portfolio to be more important than other peoples health and lives is callous.

Well if I couldn't provide for my family going into retirement I'd be hanging myself from the nearest tree in shame. There, now you can be callous for not caring about my life. 

150,000 odd people die each day worldwide, about what, a third? of them die from non-age related illness. What makes these thousands dying from this virus any more special than the rest? It sucks that they're dying, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees with it, but life ironically runs around the living and there's absolutely no ****ing shame, or callousness, in that. 

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Well if I couldn't provide for my family going into retirement I'd be hanging myself from the nearest tree in shame. There, now you can be callous for not caring about my life. 

150,000 odd people die each day worldwide, about what, a third? of them die from non-age related illness. What makes these thousands dying from this virus any more special than the rest? It sucks that they're dying, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees with it, but life ironically runs around the living and there's absolutely no ****ing shame, or callousness, in that. 

Simple answer is...they're not.

But at the same time, I'm not about to cause a noise if their death and suffering - for whatever reason - impacts upon my own life in a negative fashion about how it is doing so.

Evidently you and no doubt other people think differently about that and fair enough.

Edited by leicsmac

I've been travelling around in Japan for the last two weeks. Most people wearing masks here especially on public transport but not so many out in the open/countryside.

Overall the Japanese seem to be getting on with it, no widespread panic or hype around it. Government has decided to close schools though for a while.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

With the physical/mental health stuff that @Izzy has dealt with over the past few years, I would imagine that the thought of coronavirus would hardly phase him. As someone who has recovered from disordered anxiety, coronavirus is exactly the sort of stuff which would have caused me to spiral a few years ago. It doesn't now because what can I do about it apart from wash my hands? It's completely out of my control, so why be nervous about it?  

• Like 1