Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, pds said:

563 new deaths

Headline grabbing figures, but how many new cases? 

The death rate will probably rise in line with the fact the new case rate was rising a week ago. The last few days the new case rate has stabilised, so I expect this time next week the death rate to do the same. And as new cases drop, the death rate will too.

It's extremely sad people are dying but we really need to stop using that number as any kind of marker, it's largely irrelevant in the judgement of how we are battling this crisis. Obviously not irrelevant that people are dying, before anyone jumps on that.

• Like 3

Guest MattP

I just walked to the cemetery and whilst sat there three ambulances went past in five minutes.

Couldn't help but think this is now reaching a critical stage.

Guest Markyblue
4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The death rate will probably rise in line with the fact the new case rate was rising a week ago. The last few days the new case rate has stabilised, so I expect this time next week the death rate to do the same. And as new cases drop, the death rate will too.

It's extremely sad people are dying but we really need to stop using that number as any kind of marker, it's largely irrelevant in the judgement of how we are battling this crisis. Obviously not irrelevant that people are dying, before anyone jumps on that.

Absolutely right,  terrible as the figure is its the slowing down of new infections that will eventually bring the death total down.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Whatever case figures you see are futile and irrelevant. It’s around 29k but the CSO stated two weeks ago that for every death, there’s at least 1000 active cases, so two weeks ago we’d have been at 2.5 million cases, probably a lot more now. 

I know it’s been said before but testing levels and the unpreparedness are pathetic. It didn’t have to be this way. 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Whatever case figures you see are futile and irrelevant. It’s around 29k but the CSO stated two weeks ago that for every death, there’s at least 1000 active cases, so two weeks ago we’d have been at 2.5 million cases, probably a lot more now. 

I know it’s been said before but testing levels and the unpreparedness are pathetic. It didn’t have to be this way. 

Regardless of the testing,  the amount of people out and about strolling along like it's a fecking bank holiday is near to unbelievable,  im having to work as we are classed as vital workers,  I'm outside all day and i wish the selfish morons would stay at home.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, brucey said:

Our death rate rise was going down like the others. Then we started to plateau and it's now increasing, interestingly about 2-3 weeks after Cheltenham and Anfield.  :rolleyes:

A huge amount of the people at Cheltenham are irish, have they seen a problem with the figures.? Genuine question by the way.

What an incredibly sad and frustrating time. Went on the planned walk to town today to buy the weeks shopping at Waitrose.

I get into town and there are a lot of people shopping, but also others just chatting (2m apart) and other just milling around.

The majority are older retired folks, as much as it dismays from a Covid-19 point of view, I find it impossible be annoyed.

Loneliness is a wicked dehumanising thing :(

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Is it true that people are still able to fly in from the likes of New York, Madrid, Rome without any form of quarantining or testing?  Surely not!! :o

Tbh the situation is too far gone to do all that, the UK is as much of a hotspot as those places now. 

6 minutes ago, brucey said:

Tbh the situation is too far gone to do all that, the UK is as much of a hotspot as those places now. 

That's an argument for the rest of us not bothering to go on lockdown. 

37 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Some business owners I'm talking to are in absolute despair.

What a nightmare we're living right now.

Coronavirus: A fifth of smaller UK firms 'will run out of cash'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52114414

My bank will give me a big facility to get through this but if all thats going to happen is that my customers are going to knock me then I’m not minded to take on the increased debt for nothing  - can’t see the point. I’d probably be better off going bust myself and buying my stock back v cheaply and starting again ......

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Deaths is about the only solid number we have.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, brucey said:

Our death rate rise was going down like the others. Then we started to plateau and it's now increasing, interestingly about 2-3 weeks after Cheltenham and Anfield.  :rolleyes:

New cases in the last 24 hours is slightly up to 3009, from 2619. This is the important figure, and considering it was doubling a few weeks back, I think an increase of 400 on 2600 in better news. we are heading in the right direction and slowing the spread.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

My bank will give me a big facility to get through this but if all thats going to happen is that my customers are going to knock me then I’m not minded to take on the increased debt for nothing  - can’t see the point. I’d probably be better off going bust myself and buying my stock back v cheaply and starting again ......

Are they taking the piss with interest rates?

I've heard banks are charging anywhere between 7-30% and its the luck of the draw depending on who you're with.

Surely in the spirit of fairness and we're all fvcked, they should all be using the same set interest rate?

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The figures are all over the place;  The number of cases we find is dependent on how many people we test.  We don't have any reliable figures other than deaths, and even that is not 100% comparable to other countries, or how we have reporting say Flu deaths in the past.

Some things are clear though - if we dont start testing serious numbers of NHS workers, we are going to run out of them.  If the Government don't start credibly answering on how many ventilators we have they will continue to look like ****ing idiots.

Agree with all you say here. Especially the bit in bold. The fact that we cannot even cope with testing front line health workers let alone those who work in the care sector with elderly and vunerable people is starting to become the Achilles heel of all that we do. The Government really hasn't properly explained why we can't and if not why are we in such a bad postion in comparison to countries like Germany in regards to testing.

• Like 2

Just now, Izzy said:

I've heard banks are charging anywhere between 7-30% and its the luck of the draw depending on who you're with.

Surely in the spirit of fairness and we're all fvcked, they should all be using the same set interest rate?

Surely the point that government is backing the loans means their risk is Zero?  Interest rates should be at mortgage levels IMO.  Pathetic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

New cases in the last 24 hours is slightly up to 3009, from 2619. This is the important figure, and considering it was doubling a few weeks back, I think an increase of 400 on 2600 in better news. we are heading in the right direction and slowing the spread.

Over 4000 new cases today though?

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Considering what the base rate is at the moment, that's ridiculous, especially seeing the government is underwriting the vast majority of the loan. 

• Like 1

Just now, EastAnglianFox said:

Over 4000 new cases today though?

Testing is increasing. These stats are nonsense.  They should be reporting people who are hospitalised, people who die (either before or after hospitalisation) and people who recover and go home.

• Like 2