Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Does anybody know if I  am I allowed to to take a temporary job as I am Currently being furloughed?

You'll probably need to run it past your current employer to make sure you are allowed to take a second job and that it doesn't breach policy or your contract, but there is nothing in the furlough rules to stop you having a second job.  You can be furloughed from one and continue working in the other or you can be furloughed in both and receive two separate payments.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stretch1965 said:

Does anybody know if I  am I allowed to to take a temporary job as I am Currently being furloughed?

Technically nothing stopping you, but I'd suggest speaking to your employer first and checking your contract as your still employed by them.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else slightly disappointed they've not been furloughed? 

60 at our place were furloughed yesterday. I got kept on, but 'asked' to take a temporary pay cut, which means my wage equates to the same as the furlough amount. 

So I work. They get 12 weeks off. And we get the same!

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

60 at our place were furloughed yesterday. I got kept on, but 'asked' to take a temporary pay cut, which means my wage equates to the same as the furlough amount. 

I wonder if, after a few weeks, they will swap some of you over so that at the end of the 12 weeks, you will all have worked a similar amount. Of course, if they’ve decided to keep the best staff working then that’s a bummer for you but probably best for this business and if they decide to get rid of staff when this is all over then the ones who have been working will be safer .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Can actually say after a week of being furloughed I'd rather be at work for 80% wages. Enjoyed the first couple of days but I'm not built for this at all. Can only imagine how I'm gonna feel after a few more weeks. If I had the time to prep for it, I'd probably enjoy it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I was a little bit, yeah. 

The thing with our office though is that a decent number of those on furlough are probably going to be made redundant if the government scheme isn't extended and things don't pick up again quickly. For that reason alone I'm grateful I've been kept on.

2 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I was a little bit, yeah. 

The thing with our office though is that a decent number of those on furlough are probably going to be made redundant if the government scheme isn't extended and things don't pick up again quickly. For that reason alone I'm grateful I've been kept on.

Which is good, in the long run, just means you’re gonna have to work 50 times harder when we get back to normality, which again is good, if you’re  work alcohol. Personally, I’d take the redundancy and do a runner to Cuba.

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

Whether you can or you can't, the point of the furloughing is to keep people at home to prevent the spread of the virus.  Unless you can get a second job in an essential service, wouldn't it be against the whole point of the lockdown?

5 hours ago, simFox said:

Root cause is to blame, I don't think you can dispute that, regardless of what happened afterwards.

Do you sing the red flag every night before bedtime?

...evidently the repeated times I have criticised the Chinese government for being authoritarian arseholes wasn't clear enough. Apologies.

For the record, once again - they are, and while they share the majority of the blame for all this, they do not share all of it and those who claim it is so and so overlook the role other countries have played once it got to their own borders clearly have their own agenda in all this.

NB. I doubt the Chinese leaders themselves sing the Red Flag any more given the opulence they live in these days, much less me.

4 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

It's the lack of honesty though. Both sides need to hold their hands up and admit they've made mistakes. Democrats are in charge in New York and they've made mistakes.

That they have, I agree.

But the buck stops, as it always has, with the man at the very top. Trump clearly didn't have a problem with that before, he shouldn't have a problem with it now.

3 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Exactly, it’s akin to noticing a fire in your house (because your kids have done something stupid/irresponsible), getting as much of your family out ASAP. Then ignoring it for a while and not calling the fire brigade until your neighbours houses have already started to burn down. Maybe you didn’t like them much so never mind. 

A bit of a far fetched analogy but it sums it up for me. 

This analogy was touched on earlier - IMO it's more like having your house burn, not calling the fire brigade until it's too late...but then your neighbours don't evacuate their own houses until there's real problems either. Is the responsibility for getting out of their own houses/fighting the fire in their own houses on them or on the person who started it all?

As was also said earlier, people keep telling me national sovereignty is a big thing and as such so is having control over and responsibility for events within one's own borders...well, that cuts both ways, not just one.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...evidently the repeated times I have criticised the Chinese government for being authoritarian arseholes wasn't clear enough. Apologies.

For the record, once again - they are, and while they share the majority of the blame for all this, they do not share all of it and those who claim it is so and so overlook the role other countries have played once it got to their own borders clearly have their own agenda in all this.

NB. I doubt the Chinese leaders themselves sing the Red Flag any more given the opulence they live in these days, much less me.

That they have, I agree.

But the buck stops, as it always has, with the man at the very top. Trump clearly didn't have a problem with that before, he shouldn't have a problem with it now.

This analogy was touched on earlier - IMO it's more like having your house burn, not calling the fire brigade until it's too late...but then your neighbours don't evacuate their own houses until there's real problems either. Is the responsibility for getting out of their own houses/fighting the fire in their own houses on them or on the person who started it all?

As was also said earlier, people keep telling me national sovereignty is a big thing and as such so is having control over and responsibility for events within one's own borders...well, that cuts both ways, not just one.

1 government has been deceitful and cost thousands of lives in doing so ,many other governments have admittedly potentially made some mistakes,  i know where the blame lies.

7 hours ago, murphy said:

Whether you can or you can't, the point of the furloughing is to keep people at home to prevent the spread of the virus.  Unless you can get a second job in an essential service, wouldn't it be against the whole point of the lockdown?

No, the point of furloughing is to allow a company to keep an employee on the payroll through this crisis even if they are forced to shut or business drops considerably. By now anyone who can should be working from home anyway, or at least limiting the number in the workplace each day. The only jobs that would be available would be essential things at the minute anyway, so it's likely to be supermarket work or something like that, it's not like he'll be getting a job behind a bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

1 government has been deceitful and cost thousands of lives in doing so ,many other governments have admittedly potentially made some mistakes,  i know where the blame lies.

...and those mistakes (which IMO are rather beyond mere potential right now) will also cost lives, though likely not so many.

Implying all of the blame (as opposed to most of it) lies in one place is irrational, and more importantly, erroneous, IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

This analogy was touched on earlier - IMO it's more like having your house burn, not calling the fire brigade until it's too late...but then your neighbours don't evacuate their own houses until there's real problems either. Is the responsibility for getting out of their own houses/fighting the fire in their own houses on them or on the person who started it all

I hadn’t seen it earlier but yeah, without being too picky it sounds about right. 

• Like 1