Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Personally my diet has gone to sh*t during all this. The biggest threat to me right now is dramatic weight gain and the diseases that come part and parcel with that!

Am I the only person who is eating better and exercising more during this?! My trousers are definitely looser (even if my husband can't tell :mad:!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Oh absolutely. I'm in agreement that measures need to be taken. 

Just not really healthy that the average guy on the street thinks he or she is genuinely under threat from dying from this. 

Personally my diet has gone to sh*t during all this. The biggest threat to me right now is dramatic weight gain and the diseases that come part and parcel with that!

Yer... the wife and I are lounging around eating crisps and chocolate. Mind you that’s what we do most of the time anyway.

2 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can’t understand why in this day and age it’s so hard to get a consolidated daily figure.

It's hard to get your medical records if you visit a hospital in another county so i suspect the nhs systems don't talk to each other

12 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Thing is, we're in the midst of this thing now and it's still 'only' 40,000 deaths. 

What's the total going to be in 2 years? Maybe given the measures being taken now, a few hundred thousand. Maybe a couple of million.

I understand that sounds scary but people have to remember how small that number is as a proportion of the population. 

I realise how cynical that sounds when talking about hundreds of thousands of people dying, and yes it is awful that we have another big killer on our hands.

Add it to the list:

Ischaemic heart disease: 3,512,000
Cerebrovascular disease: 3,346,000
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: 1,829,000
Lower respiratory infections: 1,180,000
Lung cancer: 938,000
Car crash: 669,000
Stomach cancer: 657,000
Hypertensive heart disease: 635,000
Tuberculosis: 571,000
Suicide: 499,000

People die. It's a fact of life.

We'll get through this. Just feel like the outlook is way too bleak and people are disproportionately panicked.

Whilst these are all valid points, there is a reason Governments are making never seen before legislations and regulations and not just writing it off as an additional way to die.

its also naive to suggest we are in the middle of something, before actually knowing,

A, How many people in the population have it.

B, How far away we are from a Vaccine

13 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

It’s worth noting that the 1918 pandemic is estimated to have killed between 50m and 100m people. If coronavirus were left unchecked, it would likely infect half the worlds population, say 3 billion. Even half a percent of that is 15m, and that’s based on first world hospital care without it being overwhelmed, so hardly to be dismissed so lightly. 

Having said that I fully hope and expect that the measures being taken (distancing, isolation, etc) will have a huge impact and that the final figure over the next couple of years will be significantly less, but it’s hardly a given.

Agreed 

image.gif.abada0138a1b998457d4aee5ddf4aa02.gif

19 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

It’s worth noting that the 1918 pandemic is estimated to have killed between 50m and 100m people. If coronavirus were left unchecked, it would likely infect half the worlds population, say 3 billion. Even half a percent of that is 15m, and that’s based on first world hospital care without it being overwhelmed, so hardly to be dismissed so lightly. 

Having said that I fully hope and expect that the measures being taken (distancing, isolation, etc) will have a huge impact and that the final figure over the next couple of years will be significantly less, but it’s hardly a given.

You have to remember this has only properly impacted first world countries so far, those who have the capabilties to manage and control the virus relatively. Once this becomes rife in Africa then we're looking at millions and millions of deaths. A 0.5% death rate in Europe would be a 5% death rate in Africa at least.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

You have to remember this has only properly impacted first world countries so far, those who have the capabilties to manage and control the virus relatively. Once this becomes rife in Africa then we're looking at millions and millions of deaths. A 0.5% death rate in Europe would be a 5% death rate in Africa at least.  

Yes, it could be a nightmare on a totally different level in Africa :(

No real comment as to why the Germans are so far ahead of us, just promises of 'we will do this, we will do that' with no date target. 

Quite frankly they're making us look like mugs and it doesn't seem like we're willing to work together with other countries on this. The EU by the way have also been hopeless throughout this but they are an economic bloc I suppose. 

I still think theres something a bit iffy in the way Germany reports deaths though.

How their health service traditionallu reports underlying conditions rather than what actually killed them as opposed to how we do it.

I reckon there's loads of deaths where the virus killed an immuno-compramised patient there they've recorded as "cancer" where every other country would consider a COVID death.

Edit: @Lionator

Edited by Sampson

16 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Yes that was my point. Sorry, I probably didn’t explain it well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I still think theres something a bit iffy in the way Germany reports deaths though.

How their health service traditionallu reports underlying conditions rather than what actually killed them as opposed to how we do it.

I reckon there's loads of deaths where the virus killed an immuno-compramised patient there they've recorded as "cancer" where every other country would consider a COVID death.

Edit: @Lionator

I believe they're just at an earlier stage of their outbreak. The difference is that they could quarantine people a lot quicker than us due to testing so their death rate isn't climbing by anywhere near as much. Furthermore, their testing numbers means that hospital workers can be where they need to be and eventually they'll be able to get their country back to normality a lot quicker than the rest of us. 

Genuine question for @Izzyand @cambridge_fox I think, is there really nothing in the way of support for you guys?

I've been given the enviable task of trying to get money owed from my customers, and to support this I've been given a list of probably around 10 different support measures available to small businesses. Does it look and sound better than it actually is? 

United Kingdom 

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
26,824 (99%)
in Mild Condition
163 (1%)
Serious or Critical
Show Graph
Feb 15Mar 06Mar 26Feb 20Feb 25Mar 01Mar 11Mar 16Mar 21Mar 31020k40k
Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES

These UK stats make no sense to me. How can there be only 163 current serious or critical cases when there are over 500 deaths per day?

Just fed up of the nonsense being spouted every day on testing.   It’s been clear for many weeks that we don’t have the infrastructure to carry out our own testing or the political desire to buy in testing kits from outside.  I’m sure they have their reasons but they aren’t prepared to tell us so we have to assume that it’s both financial and political ......... the journalists are pathetic  - instead of asking their own question, they should simply re ask the previous question and state that this will go on until the govt decide to cut the conference or admit to the truth. 

the people are not as stupid as they are being taken for and the danger is that people begin to believe that the guidance on social distancing is  not applicable to them because they are being lied to on testing ....... people quickly lose respect if they feel they are being lied to .... the excuses have gone on for too long! 

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

United Kingdom 

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES
26,824 (99%)
in Mild Condition
163 (1%)
Serious or Critical
Show Graph
Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES

These UK stats make no sense to me. How can there be only 163 current serious or critical cases when there are over 500 deaths per day?

You are right, it doesn't make sense, there should definitely be a much higher number of patients with final outcomes.

2 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

United Kingdom 

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES
26,824 (99%)
in Mild Condition
163 (1%)
Serious or Critical
Show Graph
Show Statistics
CLOSED CASES

And note that only people who are really ill with this are admitted to hospital and tested ....... clearly they have a very narrow assessment of serious/critical.