Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Are you meaning as in you're unsure how the virus manages to mutate between now and when it was first identified?

I mean I’m unsure as to how the virus mutates over time and whether it’s feasible for it to becomes more contagious as it passes through it’s mutations .......  I’m not a virologist but is it possible that in its earliest stages, this virus wasn’t particularly contagious ???

2 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I, for one, love your writing style. It's weirdly poetic.

You need to change that profile pic ...   when I’ve had a few beers it makes me feel a tad queezy ...    far too busy ..   :)

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

They are all a bunch of prats ...   especially Cvntsberg from the BBC ..   as soon as I see her gormless irritating face I start to growl ..  

That must be a bit unsettling for your dogs.

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone got a theory or read anything about why it's killing black and asian people in Britain at such a disportionate rate compared to white people? 

I'd imagine diet will play a part with Indians and Pakistani who normally suffer from heart disease and diabetes more than average. 

I don't know enough about medicine to comment but a few people have claimed BAME suffer from conditions more that could be vulnerable to this, for some reason it asks for your ethnicity when you calculate you BMI.

A big part of it though will surely be that this virus is at it's most vicious in high density areas in cities, which will have a far larger non white population than the national average.

Edited by MattP

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I mean I’m unsure as to how the virus mutates over time and whether it’s feasible for it to becomes more contagious as it passes through it’s mutations .......  I’m not a virologist but is it possible that in its earliest stages, this virus wasn’t particularly contagious ???

Thought thats what you meant, didn't want to hit you with a science explanation if thats not what you were after. 

So when a virus replicates, the mechanism it uses is incredibly error prone, so will purposefully add mistakes into the DNA of the virus. This potentially changes the proteins the virus produces; potentially making the virus more or less dangerous. 

Chances are the virus was less transmissible initially and mutated through to what it is now. With SARS the virus mutated itself to a less dangerous strain and assume we hope this virus will do the same.

15 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

They are all a bunch of prats ...   especially Cvntsberg from the BBC ..   as soon as I see her gormless irritating face I start to growl ..  

Genuinely amazes me how these people get where they are. Some of the questions they ask are a waste of time

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

I don't know enough about medicine to comment but a few people have claimed BAME suffer from conditions more that could be vulnerable to this, for some reason it asks for your ethnicity when you calculate you BMI.

A big part of it though will surely be that this virus is at it's most vicious in high density areas in cities, which will have a far larger non white population than the national average.

Don't know enough to comment on the first bit, but the second bit will be a big part of it, I'm sure - higher transmission in densely-populated areas.

Someone on the news also pointed out that a disproportionately high number of health and transport workers are BAME, so more exposed to the virus.

There were also claims (mainly re. Filipinos, I think) that at least some BAME health workers were less inclined to ask for proper PPE. Would be hard to confirm that, except via a representative survey or something.

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Raab saying the R value has gone down while the chief statistician is saying that it's slightly risen due to a care home epidemic. One of them is lying.

The range has widened ......  both  could be actually be right ......the chief stat made a good point re prevalence .....if that is staying flat then R isn’t dropping. Until we get the number of cases to be dropping then R stays around 1.  The mathematicians are being tested by this ! 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Thought thats what you meant, didn't want to hit you with a science explanation if thats not what you were after. 

So when a virus replicates, the mechanism it uses is incredibly error prone, so will purposefully add mistakes into the DNA of the virus. This potentially changes the proteins the virus produces; potentially making the virus more or less dangerous. 

Chances are the virus was less transmissible initially and mutated through to what it is now. With SARS the virus mutated itself to a less dangerous strain and assume we hope this virus will do the same.

So it is feasible that this thing was around Wuhan in November and also travelled to Europe in December but perhaps wasn’t very transmissible - hence no explosion of cases in January ......... we have been told by cuomo that the strain that came from Italy was different to the Wuhan one ......

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The only thing I will say to this is that I think most people have circumstances that they could apply to break the rules. My other half hasn't seen his 2 young children since March. We're not expecting to see them this month either. It's not ideal, in fact it's pretty heartbreaking, but we're still willing to follow the rules. If we didn't, and everyone took the same view, the whole lockdown has been pointless. 

You're right of course. I know my post sounded as if I'm trying to justify it but I'm not. I'm just at the stage where I have to go home for my own sanity and plan on only seeing my mum. If there is a clear message at the weekend outlining some sort of plan I'll reconsider my stance of course

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I'm not sure i follow.
For the past 3 weeks the media, et al have been asking for an unlock procedure & to my knowledge all that has been stated by members of COBR team is that the PM will announce the next statement on Sunday, when it was due as end of the 2nd block of lockdown & what ever restrictions are lifted, if any, are done so under the guidance of the science & they are lifted with caution & i'm sure will come with caveats if mistreated or have i missed some announcement. Any rumour of widespread relaxation is being fed by the media to my knowledge.

He's trying to manage everyone of us & as no 2 people are the same no matter what is said it will affect people in different ways, some need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel & a slight relaxation of say being able to go out twice a day or for longer once a day is a small victory to those where as others want the door firmly bolted.
I'm fortunate not to suffer mental health issues be it depression, anxiety or what ever but for those that do it must be hell, i think of that 17yr old girl that took her own life just days after the 1st 3weeks was announced, her father saying a potential 3mth lockdown to her felt like 3yrs & she just couldn't cope, the same for a 15yr old lad feeling isolated from the world, again within days of the lockdown & theres still another young lad missing as he was missing his girlfriend to much he took off & hasn't been seen since, & he's not with her, there must be loads more.

People have flouted the rules from the start & no matter what is said on Sunday these people will still do so & many more for a myriad of reasons but at some point we need to start to unlock or atleast talk bout it & not for those 'give in inch they'll take a mile' types but for those that need to see there will be an end to this if we abide the advise.

You may be correct and I hope so, I just raise an eye brow IF it is correctly reported he has stated (That’s on me for quoting media) he will relax some of the lockdown components, as why announce anything? It’s only on Sunday we would have had to wait.

However, I fancy it is my jumping to conclusions via the media and the exact nature of what Boris will say is still mostly unknown, and yes, the direction of travel must be towards relaxation so as to provide hope.

In short, to summarise, I think it may be the case, in hindsight at least, after reviewing my earlier post, I was talking sh*t :thumbup:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So it is feasible that this thing was around Wuhan in November and also travelled to Europe in December but perhaps wasn’t very transmissible - hence no explosion of cases in January ......... we have been told by cuomo that the strain that came from Italy was different to the Wuhan one ......

Very much so, there is a great chance that the strain circulating is different to what it initially was. Also the fact we are now more aware of it means we'll see a lot more of it.

Hope thats managed to explain things a bit better

Edited by UniFox21

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Raab saying the R value has gone down while the chief statistician is saying that it's slightly risen due to a care home epidemic. One of them is lying.

These people really do need to start talking to each other.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

These people really do need to start talking listening to each other.

This will be the third bank holiday in lockdown and still good weather. Why the hell aren't they just cancelling them? 

Nobody can reasonably do anything. Just cancel them and put them back in the autumn. We have too many bank holidays bodged together as it is. Last thing we need is more excuses for people to fvck about be cause of "bank holiday tradition"

• Like 1