Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, stix said:

I genuinely fear for the mental state of a few of you on here after reading through the thread this morning. 

Im pretty much the only person in my extended family who is working as usual. Most of that extended family are now worryingly unstable due to being confined for such a long time. Mum had another pretty serious anxiety attack on Wednesday, my Wife seems to be losing the plot and flying off the handle at such small and insignificant things too, which under normal circumstances wouldn’t even deserve a mention. 

For me, and my life currently, it’s more or less normal. Get up early, go to work, come home, eat, potter about, chill, go to bed. Not a big change to my life before lockdown really. I have managed to reset my mindset to a Pre-lockdown one, whilst obviously following guidelines. 

At the very beginning of all of this, I panicked. I booked 2 weeks holiday on 24th March. After around a week, I realised that doing that was a mistake, largely for my mental health more than anything. The pandemic was, I mean, SO mind-consuming at that time, for millions of us. It’s all anybody thought about, talked about. And towards the end of those two weeks, I was having daily anxiety issues at around 2pm. Every single day. 

I was really concerned about going back to work initially. After a few days though things were pretty much the same as before lockdown. My anxiety subsided and life just seems to roll on. 

What I have noticed over the last week, after seeing most of my family, at distance. Is that I am the odd one out. And although I obviously understand the potential struggles of being in isolation in general, I still do struggle to comprehend people’s actions during this time. And I know it all stems from this ****ing virus, but it’s sometimes tough to compartmentalise these actions, because my life is pretty much back to being the same as it was before now, whereas theirs have literally stood still for 7 weeks. I really feel for those of you who’ve had to sit this out for the full term. You must be going off your rockers. 

pretty much the same as me had 2 weeks off a week before everyone else finished but been back for about 5/6 weeks now

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Irresponsible and inexcusable in my eyes :@

image.thumb.jpeg.2bbb12430e982f6922551f2a65f1fa84.jpeg

Ah so this would probably explain why the local parks and shops are extra busy today when I popped out to get milk and bread 

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

ones that don’t have densely populated travel hubs like London and thousands of pubs might ..... without lockdown our health service would have fallen over ....... 

So in theory if only London had the lockdown and we sealed around the M25. Do you think the rest of the uk could have used the Swedish model?

Edited to say, even if it wouldnt work in theory. Should we just seal up the M25 anyway?

Edited by filbertway

35 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So in theory if only London had the lockdown and we sealed around the M25. Do you think the rest of the uk could have used the Swedish model?

I tend to agree with you - the Chinese would have done it ..... 

would have needed a very close eye kept on the big cities away from London but it could have worked .....

So geezer I my err hamlet has his house decorated in flags and some military vehicles from the war turning up at 3.30pm....

Its not a party apparently but people are welcome to stand outside and view the vehicles... I assume there will be social distancing....

All sounds like it has potential to go west 😂 

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I tend to agree with you - the Chinese would have done it ..... 

would have needed a very close eye kept on the big cities away from London but it could have worked 

Id like in a year or two time when we have all the relevant information. To be able to see models of what the best course of action would have been if we had full knowledge of mortality rates, immunity, treatments

Not that itd make any difference. Would just be interesting to see the optimal way that the uk could have dealt with this is we had full knowledge of the virus 

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

No wonder so many liberal millenials have anxiety. The guardian has the bleakest outlook on life going.

It's governmental censorship of science. It isn't an outlook. It's factual. 

It shouldn't happen. The government shouldn't censor science. Surely, in spite of your desperation to blame a particular generation for social woes, you can understand that censoring scientific papers in this situation is not okay. 

Well the Wales announcement has laid out the three increments...

Garden Centres to open

Exercise more than once a day but local

Allow local authorities to plan for opening of libraries and waste and recycling centres...

Over to Boris now to follow suit and not go any further... they’ve announced early hoping to keep Boris in check it looks like! 

19 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well the Wales announcement has laid out the three increments...

Garden Centres to open

Exercise more than once a day but local

Allow local authorities to plan for opening of libraries and waste and recycling centres...

Over to Boris now to follow suit and not go any further... they’ve announced early hoping to keep Boris in check it looks like! 

That’s all I’m expecting for England 

the big question will be whether you can meet with ‘local’ friends outside if you maintain social distancing?  

if they go with that then many will be content but that still leaves families unable to meet if not local. 

and they will remind business’ that they can operate if they can maintain social distancing 

6 hours ago, Barrowblue said:

Please don't despair. 

The post was in reply to a good point about the risks of death due to driving. Feel free to find it and try to understand the context. 

The post was about 'risk management' and how I think that people make lifestyle choices knowing the risk of death involved. 

Whilst getting Covid19 is not a lifestyle choice there will be actions that people in future will be taking that will increase their chance of contracting the virus. Society will not let that risk get in their way of going to a concert or festival and enjoying themselves. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

Nah I’ve read the context and the comparisons are still utterly ridiculous.

I heavily doubt, if we are to get a vaccine next year (fingers crossed) you’ll see a festival or concert take place before then.

On 07/05/2020 at 00:53, Nod.E said:

You can graph anything up. It's understanding and context which allows us to decipher which deserves more weight.

Look at my graph again. Yes there will be deaths for today reported for tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. However the pattern is clear as day, and it's dramatically a downward trend. 

The quality of the graph you've uploaded is shoddy. There are huge gaps in data input and therefore it is not a good fit for trend analysis. 

Also we have to take in to account the fact that we know more now than we did early April. Also ironically as things are becoming more manageable, jobs like reporting are easier to catch up on than they were at the height of the peak, when the health service was overrun.

To make this easier for you, look at my graph again and only look at deaths reported up to 3 days afterwards. (Up to the grey bar) This way we can look at recent data for comparison without making any assumptions about what data may be added to recent days in a few weeks' time.

08/04 - c. 650

03/05 - c. 200

The raw data can't be argued with, you're just not interpreting it correctly.

Screenshot_20200506-201710~2.png

Just in case it was left in any doubt

Screenshot_20200508-140032~2.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Just in case it was left in any doubt

Screenshot_20200508-140032~2.png

By the way, isn't it a bit shocking that I have to trawl Twitter to find the actual numbers?

The government are effectively coming out every day with a number which is basically "hey guys here are all the deaths we've found today".

Of course the general public are going to misinterpret that as the number of deaths on a given day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

By the way, isn't it a bit shocking that I have to trawl Twitter to find the actual numbers?

The government are effectively coming out every day with a number which is basically "hey guys here are all the deaths we've found today".

Of course the general public are going to misinterpret that as the number of deaths on a given day.

One thing that has to come out of this is to improve communication with the general public. For example, daily briefings are all well and good but how much value do they actual add if there isnt much to say on a particular day bar latest figures?

Trust the public.....

Three people who travelled from Berkshire to the Dorset coast for a day out sparked a major rescue operation after getting cut off by the tide.

Lifeboats, a helicopter, ambulance and police were involved in the rescue of two of them from cliffs at Old Harry Rocks near Swanage on Thursday evening.

The third person had swum to Studland Bay to raise the alarm.

Swanage Coastguard said the apparent breach of lockdown restrictions was being dealt with by Dorset Police.

The coastguard report said the three had travelled from Slough and walked from Studland to the famous rock formation when they got cut off by the tide and ended up in the sea.

A call was made to emergency services at about 19:45 BST.

Swanage RNLI said the two rescued from the cliff ledge had suffered cuts and scrapes and all three were checked over by paramedics after spending some time in the water.

"To help protect the public and our volunteers, we urge people to take care at the coast and follow government guidelines to travel and exercise close to home," an RNLI spokesman said.

5 hours ago, Nalis said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylewalker2/status/1258539692829466624

Kyle Walker always seemed to be a down to earth likeable guy before all this but I'm torn between giving him the benefit of the doubt with any mental health struggles and the need to see his family or thinking he's above the rules. Either way, he was an arsehole when he threw the party.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if he wasn't paying brasses to blow his pipe a few weeks ago. That's a hell of a lot different to visiting your close family IMO.

More people are using their cars despite the coronavirus lockdown, the RAC motoring group says.

Its analysis suggests there are 11% more vehicles on the road this week than in the second week of lockdown.

Meanwhile, the number of emergency callouts rose 18% over the same period.

"There is now mounting evidence that people are venturing back out in their vehicles," said RAC head of roads policy Nicholas Lyes, who blamed it on "lockdown fatigue".

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

The headlines on the Mail, Sun and Star are the worst, they really are a blight on society, making up stories, misleading readers, alongside social media they are responsible for causing so much harm with their inaccurate reporting. 

In my opinion, for 5 papers to go with "end of lockdown" type headlines. They haven't made it up, they were briefed by someone in government. The government have since changed their minds due to scientific or political reasons or a mixture of both. 

This whole situation is causing a lot of relationship drama. I know so many people who are considering what they've achieved, if themselves and their partner are right for each other, do they want to get married and have kids, should they break up etc. I think people should try and ride it out until lockdown over, it's not helping people think straight and a lot of emotions are all over the place.

Major social networks are rushing to take down a new coronavirus conspiracy theory video which has rapidly spread across the internet.

The so-called "Plandemic" video is edited in the style of a documentary, with much higher production standards than many conspiracy videos.

The video is filled with medical misinformation about where the virus came from and how it is transmitted.

Despite efforts to remove it, users are constantly re-uploading the clip.

Since the 26-minute video first appeared earlier this week, it has exploded across YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other websites, prompting an attempt to remove it.

Among its claims are that the virus must have been released from a laboratory environment and could not possibly be naturally-occurring; that using masks and gloves actually makes people more sick; and that closing beaches is "insanity" because of "healing microbes" in the water.

Such claims are not supported by reliable medical and scientific advice.

The video also suggests that the number of deaths is being deliberately falsified, in order to exert control over the population.

The video has been viewed millions of times across multiple platforms. Facebook, YouTube, and Vimeo have all removed versions of it from their sites.

But such efforts may benefit the film-maker, who claims that there is a large-scale conspiracy to hide the truth.

In a post saying the 26-minute video is an excerpt from a future full-length documentary, he urges readers to download the video directly and re-post it elsewhere, "in an effort to bypass the gatekeepers of free speech".

Since the pandemic began, the social networks have all had to adapt their content policies to deal with potentially dangerous misinformation.

Twitter said it would remove "unverified claims" that could prove dangerous, while Facebook has brought in new tools to point users towards reliable sources of information.

YouTube said it removes "medically unsubstantiated diagnostic advice", and this video was removed for making claims about a cure for Covid-19, even though it is not backed by health organisations.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Major social networks are rushing to take down a new coronavirus conspiracy theory video which has rapidly spread across the internet.

The so-called "Plandemic" video is edited in the style of a documentary, with much higher production standards than many conspiracy videos.

The video is filled with medical misinformation about where the virus came from and how it is transmitted.

Despite efforts to remove it, users are constantly re-uploading the clip.

Since the 26-minute video first appeared earlier this week, it has exploded across YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other websites, prompting an attempt to remove it.

Among its claims are that the virus must have been released from a laboratory environment and could not possibly be naturally-occurring; that using masks and gloves actually makes people more sick; and that closing beaches is "insanity" because of "healing microbes" in the water.

Such claims are not supported by reliable medical and scientific advice.

The video also suggests that the number of deaths is being deliberately falsified, in order to exert control over the population.

The video has been viewed millions of times across multiple platforms. Facebook, YouTube, and Vimeo have all removed versions of it from their sites.

But such efforts may benefit the film-maker, who claims that there is a large-scale conspiracy to hide the truth.

In a post saying the 26-minute video is an excerpt from a future full-length documentary, he urges readers to download the video directly and re-post it elsewhere, "in an effort to bypass the gatekeepers of free speech".

Since the pandemic began, the social networks have all had to adapt their content policies to deal with potentially dangerous misinformation.

Twitter said it would remove "unverified claims" that could prove dangerous, while Facebook has brought in new tools to point users towards reliable sources of information.

YouTube said it removes "medically unsubstantiated diagnostic advice", and this video was removed for making claims about a cure for Covid-19, even though it is not backed by health organisations.

Imagine a world where a sociopath like the one who made this video (because this is far more than simple ignorance, the video itself is far too finely crafted for that; it's a deliberate attempt to mislead and put people at risk for personal gain which for me is textbook sociopathy) actually manages to have this much leverage.