Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This will be the third bank holiday in lockdown and still good weather. Why the hell aren't they just cancelling them? 

Nobody can reasonably do anything. Just cancel them and put them back in the autumn. We have too many bank holidays bodged together as it is. Last thing we need is more excuses for people to fvck about be cause of "bank holiday tradition"

Because the country is already at the door to the financial abyss without losing another 3 days work.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Very much so, there is a great chance that the strain circulating is different to what it initially was. Also the fact we are now more aware of it means we'll see a lot more of it.

Hope thats managed to explain things a bit better

So many questions ...... perhaps those complaining of coughs and flu like symptoms through jan could have been infected with a less lethal strain ....... the main question on these people would be..... do their antibodies provide them with decent immunity against the more virulent strain currently circulating and even if it does mean they will fight it off, are they more likely to be infectious whilst fighting it off in comparison to someone who has developed antibodies to the current strain ??  Anyone fighting off re infection would naturally, I assume, be asymptomatic. 

4 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

This will be the third bank holiday in lockdown and still good weather. Why the hell aren't they just cancelling them? 

Nobody can reasonably do anything. Just cancel them and put them back in the autumn. We have too many bank holidays bodged together as it is. Last thing we need is more excuses for people to fvck about be cause of "bank holiday tradition"

The lady at the bank says she wants a day off tomorrow .......

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

So many questions ...... perhaps those complaining of coughs and flu like symptoms through jan could have been infected with a less lethal strain ....... the main question on these people would be..... do their antibodies provide them with decent immunity against the more virulent strain currently circulating and even if it does mean they will fight it off, are they more likely to be infectious whilst fighting it off in comparison to someone who has developed antibodies to the current strain ??  Anyone fighting off re infection would naturally, I assume, be asymptomatic. 

I was more ill late January and most of February than I can ever remember. It started on the day of our League Cup defeat to Villa.

Had to go to the doctors several times. Chest infection that went away then came back. Horrible cough that lasted over a month. Sinusitis etc. Would love the test to be ready to check if I've had it. It certainly felt different to anything I've had before.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Thought thats what you meant, didn't want to hit you with a science explanation if thats not what you were after. 

So when a virus replicates, the mechanism it uses is incredibly error prone, so will purposefully add mistakes into the DNA of the virus. This potentially changes the proteins the virus produces; potentially making the virus more or less dangerous. 

Chances are the virus was less transmissible initially and mutated through to what it is now. With SARS the virus mutated itself to a less dangerous strain and assume we hope this virus will do the same.

Wouldn't that work in a kind of natural selection way?  I mean, if the virus mutates into a more dangerous form, it will find itself at dead ends and run out of hosts.  Less dangerous strains would allow it to flourish more easily.

Makes sense to me anyway.  :dunno:

4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I've finally got a week off in a couple of weeks time and I've decided I'm going back to Leicester to see my mum regardless of the lockdown. I may get some negative comments etc but I need to go see her for her sake as much as mine. She lives alone so has barely seen anyone for weeks and the occasional video call with her granddaughter doesn't seem enough to cheer her up. I've adhered to all of the rules up to now and will continue to social distance but I'm not staying away from family for much longer

Just stay outside and maybe talk from the window. I bought my own flask of coffee so we could have a drink together (for myself) 

I did this a few weeks ago and it did my parents the world of good. We all kept our distance and so far so good for the 3 of us 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Sweden have killed it, my cousin say things are awesome, the Swedish Government have done a sterling job.

On a serious note, their middle ground solution has a pro rata death total of 19500 compared to our 31000 (plus a much higher number of infected members of their herd) - BUT they dont have a London 

Edited by st albans fox

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I heard something about a patient in France who died in December having been found to have been infected, but of course could've been bullshit. 

All depends how much the virus mutated. Imagine it as a lock (virus) and the antibodies a key; if the lock changes enough then the key won't work anymore, same can be applied to a virus and antibodies.

Reinfection wouldn't necessarily be asymptomatic, but would im theory have much less severe symptoms. 

31 minutes ago, murphy said:

Wouldn't that work in a kind of natural selection way?  I mean, if the virus mutates into a more dangerous form, it will find itself at dead ends and run out of hosts.  Less dangerous strains would allow it to flourish more easily.

Makes sense to me anyway.  :dunno:

Pretty much, it makes biological sense for a virus to be incredibly transmissible, but not kill off its host, that way it can continue to infect 'hosts'. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pds said:

I was more ill late January and most of February than I can ever remember. It started on the day of our League Cup defeat to Villa.

Had to go to the doctors several times. Chest infection that went away then came back. Horrible cough that lasted over a month. Sinusitis etc. Would love the test to be ready to check if I've had it. It certainly felt different to anything I've had before.

Same here, dry cough & headache for over 2 weeks end of Jan into first two weeks of Feb. Every evening and night coughing to no avail, living on 2 hrs sleep max for that time. Went out for a meal on my birthday early Feb & I remember not enjoying it because I couldn't taste it. I put the tiredness down to lack of sleep. 

I'm sure there's millions of people who can say the same. 

I think I'm looking forward to knowing if I have had it or not. 

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Keep applying yourself to Mr. Fuchs' posts. It's worth the effort. Eventually your mind will warp sufficiently to appreciate the quality of his posts & fantastic wordplays.

I thought he was a native Brit who'd been lost in Germany for a few decades - glad that's confirmed. Why that should affect his punctuation, I'm not so sure.....:D

I got lost in an enjoyable hell in alot of countries,but found myself settling in Germany..

Punctuation Ffs!!  I come from New Parks.

It I kept to those rules,I would of Never learnt the other languages.....I follow the words & numbers,not the digits....its more fun.:smile:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

Wrt different strains this article, as with almost everything The Atlantic does, is a good summation. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/coronavirus-strains-transmissible/611239/

In short, its not implausible that there has been more than one strain but there's not really any hard evidence for it and nor is it likely there will be anytime soon. The people cited believe its just the one strain. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

DA890A3D-F1F0-4070-8E05-322848F4D1C2.jpeg

Hate stuff like this. Usually shared by "full time mummies" on facebook.

It's basically a weird smug snidey little post saying what...you're going to be in intensive care if you leave the house? 

If that was the case, the vast majority of us wouldnt be here and those that are wouldn't be posting on social media

I suppose you're a stay at home daddy atm though man so maybe that's the effect it has :Dhaha

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Sweden have killed it, my cousin say things are awesome, the Swedish Government have done a sterling job.

I really do think that Swedish chap was right that this will affect most countries exactly the same over time regardless of the action taken

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's basically a weird smug snidey little post saying what...you're going to be in intensive care if you leave the house? 

If that was the case, the vast majority of us wouldnt be here and those that are wouldn't be posting on social media

I suppose you're a stay at home daddy atm though man so maybe that's the effect it has :Dhaha

Oh Facebook has given the snide types a real podium this last decade. 

The type of people that think an arguments won if you end it with 'END OF' or 'FACT' and they're actually unbeatable because they see reasoned argument and evidence as a weakness. 

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Believe it or not, that was actually posted by a full time mummy I know on FB :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pds said:

I was also ill on the day of the Villa away semi and for most of the week.

I then went to Cheltenham on the Friday and had Coronavirus symptoms 7 days later. Pretty sure this later bout of illness was Coronavirus. It’s not often I get properly knocked out with illnesses like this and this one did me.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Well because I, as have many others, have had to work pretty much as normal throughout this (bar holidays I’d booked) so to a lot of people still working, it’s a standard bank holiday. 

Plus, those extra added days may have an adverse effect on businesses in the autumn. When most businesses will be trying to work extra hard to try and recoup the last two quarters deficits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

On a serious note, their middle ground solution has a pro rata death total of 19500 compared to our 31000 (plus a much higher number of infected members of their herd) - BUT they dont have a London 

On a serious note they have made sure there health services have coped with there approach