Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We don't know the circumstances once again. They might have seen samples but the actual goods are poor. I've read that they were purchased from the Turkish Government themselves, who bought them from China.

We have people saying they should be buying all the PPE they can, but when they do and it's not suitable or up to our standards, they say why are they wasting time buying PPE we can't use.

I believe the original supplier failed to supply, so the Turkish Government stepped in and provided some PPE themselves.

Edited by Jon the Hat

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

One of the best analogies I've seen is being on the 20th floor of a high rise when there's a fire. The fire represents the negative side effects of lockdown, eg, economic effects, job losses, mental health issues.

You are trapped in the building (representing lockdown) and the damage caused by jumping represents coronavirus. It would be stupid to jump when you are on the 20th floor so you stay inside and make your way down the stairs.

As time goes on the fire spreads so quickly that you realise you arent going to make it out of the ground floor safely as the effects of the fire will engulf you by then. So you have to make a decision of staying in the building, jumping and, if jumping, when to jump. Jump too early and you will die, jump too late and you will die.

Jump when you are low enough to the ground though and you might do a little bit of recoverable damage from the effects of the fire and the effects of the fall.

Moral is that we have to lift lockdown at some point, even if coronavirus is still about otherwise the negative effect of being on lockdown will start to outweigh the positives.

It's all almost impossible question, but this year GDP is going to be down 14% - imo we have to start now if we are to avoid this having very very seriously repercussions.

52 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I've finally got a week off in a couple of weeks time and I've decided I'm going back to Leicester to see my mum regardless of the lockdown. I may get some negative comments etc but I need to go see her for her sake as much as mine. She lives alone so has barely seen anyone for weeks and the occasional video call with her granddaughter doesn't seem enough to cheer her up. I've adhered to all of the rules up to now and will continue to social distance but I'm not staying away from family for much longer

Some will call you selfish, but I understand where you’re coming from. Each case individually is different, aslong as people aren’t out boozing or throwing parties I don’t see a huge issue. We should be allowed to see our very close family and partners shortly. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nalis said:

One of the best analogies I've seen is being on the 20th floor of a high rise when there's a fire. The fire represents the negative side effects of lockdown, eg, economic effects, job losses, mental health issues.

You are trapped in the building (representing lockdown) and the damage caused by jumping represents coronavirus. It would be stupid to jump when you are on the 20th floor so you stay inside and make your way down the stairs.

As time goes on the fire spreads so quickly that you realise you arent going to make it out of the ground floor safely as the effects of the fire will engulf you by then. So you have to make a decision of staying in the building, jumping and, if jumping, when to jump. Jump too early and you will die, jump too late and you will die.

Jump when you are low enough to the ground though and you might do a little bit of recoverable damage from the effects of the fire and the effects of the fall.

Moral is that we have to lift lockdown at some point, even if coronavirus is still about otherwise the negative effect of being on lockdown will start to outweigh the positives.

Interesting analogy, maybe inspired by 911 or Grenfell. The introductory bit is surely that the authorities wait until the fire is well-established before they try to work out how on Earth to put the blaze out.

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would be very surprised if the don't move to more local production for critical items in future.  We cannot be dependent on China supply chains here.

The supply chain is long ........ from cotton plants or oil to make the polyester or poly/cotton to yarn manufacturing, knitting/weaving, dying and then garment manufacture ...... we have some of these over here but some we simply don’t have, nor could we sensibly create them all. So you end up dependent on other countries at some point and likely a fair way away ........

if this pandemic is a 1 in a 100 year event, I’m afraid the lessons will not really be learned and we need to hope that we don’t see the next one occur within the next twenty years before a gap of 180 years till another one  ! 

42 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

All those born in the first half of the month can go out on Monday. all those born in the second half of the month can go out on Tuesday. everyone else can go out on Wednesday 

Funny you mention this as in a part of Spain their lockdown measures are for people in certain age groups to go out at a certain time of the day to exercise. 

And apparently in Peru they have certain days for men and women... 

Guest MattP

Anyone doing the NHS volunteering seen a massive increase over the last couple of days on the app?

I had one job since it started last month and have had five in the last two days.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Say restrictions were lifted in 3 weeks to allow us to visit family members and friends at houses. What's difference is the 3 week delay going to make?

For any benefits it will bring, will these outweigh the effect this is going to have on people's mental health - especially for the unfortunate people that are stuck alone (or with too many people)

We will have to wait until Sunday to get the actual picture but at the moment the number of new infections being recorded daily are surely still far too high. In another 3 weeks they may be down to levels where track and trace can actually have a chance to work.

Sounds like they are going to be ultra cautious and the rumours coming out of Scotland would indicate an extension to the lockdown though some extra outside excercise etc might be allowed.

The German approach was that the number of new infections ideally had to be in the hundreds to really have a chance of controlling the outbreak whilst lifting some of the lockdown. That is where they seem to be right now and it is where we should aim to be but we seem a long way off that.

There is so much conflicting evidence and rumours that a very clear statement is required on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Anyone doing the NHS volunteering seen a massive increase over the last couple of days on the app?

I had one job since it started last month and have had five in the last two days.

My dad does it Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and it's been steady - around 2-3 deliveries each day in our small village...

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

My sister-in-law and nephew volunteered but as of the end of last week had been given nothing to do even though they had both had to have criminal record checks, two personal references from non family members and had to have their car insurance checked to make sure anything they do is covered.

Bit of a dog's dinner so far according to them. Maybe different in different areas though.

40 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I would be very surprised if the don't move to more local production for critical items in future.  We cannot be dependent on China supply chains here.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I've finally got a week off in a couple of weeks time and I've decided I'm going back to Leicester to see my mum regardless of the lockdown. I may get some negative comments etc but I need to go see her for her sake as much as mine. She lives alone so has barely seen anyone for weeks and the occasional video call with her granddaughter doesn't seem enough to cheer her up. I've adhered to all of the rules up to now and will continue to social distance but I'm not staying away from family for much longer

The only thing I will say to this is that I think most people have circumstances that they could apply to break the rules. My other half hasn't seen his 2 young children since March. We're not expecting to see them this month either. It's not ideal, in fact it's pretty heartbreaking, but we're still willing to follow the rules. If we didn't, and everyone took the same view, the whole lockdown has been pointless. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, reynard said:

We will have to wait until Sunday to get the actual picture but at the moment the number of new infections being recorded daily are surely still far too high. In another 3 weeks they may be down to levels where track and trace can actually have a chance to work.

Sounds like they are going to be ultra cautious and the rumours coming out of Scotland would indicate an extension to the lockdown though some extra outside excercise etc might be allowed.

The German approach was that the number of new infections ideally had to be in the hundreds to really have a chance of controlling the outbreak whilst lifting some of the lockdown. That is where they seem to be right now and it is where we should aim to be but we seem a long way off that.

There is so much conflicting evidence and rumours that a very clear statement is required on Sunday.

I'm predicting what ever he says on Sunday with regards to relax or extend will be too much to soon for some & not enough for others.

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I'm predicting what ever he says on Sunday with regards to relax or extend will be too much to soon for some & not enough for others.

Its a mistake.

Not relaxing the rules, but even suggesting it is time to relax the lockdown will weaken plenty of resolve.

Was a bloody stupid thing to do without having a forum to explain what it will become and why.

Does not even matter now if the lockdown remains the same on Sunday. Utterly ridiculous, almost Trumpesque.

4 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Exactly.

But alcohol and obesity are normalised so it's okay. They aren't a scary new virus.

People, man. Honestly.

People & viruses...wo'd have 'em!!!!

They mutate,soon as you Think you have  the Major strain under control...

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Funny you mention this as in a part of Spain their lockdown measures are for people in certain age groups to go out at a certain time of the day to exercise. 

And apparently in Peru they have certain days for men and women... 

I got it from mike basset england manager after thinking what a fubar situational we're in, so maybe their governments follow the film for guidelines. I did have an idea about how we could get back to watching a bit of football, season ticket holders but none under 12 because of control ability, none over 65 because of the higher risk factor and also none from the Bame group because of their apparent higher mortality rate but then i thought, maybe not, being ageist and racist might end up with the stadium being burnt down.

11 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

The only thing I will say to this is that I think most people have circumstances that they could apply to break the rules. My other half hasn't seen his 2 young children since March. We're not expecting to see them this month either. It's not ideal, in fact it's pretty heartbreaking, but we're still willing to follow the rules. If we didn't, and everyone took the same view, the whole lockdown has been pointless. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52018136

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone got a theory or read anything about why it's killing black and asian people in Britain at such a disportionate rate compared to white people? 

I'd imagine diet will play a part with Indians and Pakistani who normally suffer from heart disease and diabetes more than average. 

The virus is racist :dunno:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

People & viruses...wo'd have 'em!!!!

They mutate,soon as you Think you have  the Major strain under control...

Fuchsy, I know that English isn’t your first language and I enjoy your content but your use of the CAPS key scrambles my brain like a bad acid trip :)

• Haha 2