Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

25 minutes ago, reynard said:

We will have to wait until Sunday to get the actual picture but at the moment the number of new infections being recorded daily are surely still far too high. In another 3 weeks they may be down to levels where track and trace can actually have a chance to work.

Sounds like they are going to be ultra cautious and the rumours coming out of Scotland would indicate an extension to the lockdown though some extra outside excercise etc might be allowed.

The German approach was that the number of new infections ideally had to be in the hundreds to really have a chance of controlling the outbreak whilst lifting some of the lockdown. That is where they seem to be right now and it is where we should aim to be but we seem a long way off that.

There is so much conflicting evidence and rumours that a very clear statement is required on Sunday.

To be fair, the UK is well behind Germany. the worry will be other nations seeing & watching Germany/Sweden/Swiss/Austria showing and being more forward and Open in their Lockdowns, that various countries some of the peoples will become impatiant,wanting things far too early,for their own situation..!!

14 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone got a theory or read anything about why it's killing black and asian people in Britain at such a disportionate rate compared to white people? 

I'd imagine diet will play a part with Indians and Pakistani who normally suffer from heart disease and diabetes more than average. 

Lifestyle & genetics ?

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, it doesn't apply to those of us who have household members shielding though :)

Ahhh fair play, that makes sense :)

I did find it odd that you guys wouldn't have known about that to be honest lol 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyone got a theory or read anything about why it's killing black and asian people in Britain at such a disportionate rate compared to white people? 

I'd imagine diet will play a part with Indians and Pakistani who normally suffer from heart disease and diabetes more than average. 

It is an interesting one and i suppose if they can rule out social / lifestyle differences, if there are any, so it comes down to a pure biological difference, then surely the scientists who are trying to develop a vaccine would ask the question why is a white person 4 times less likely to die from covid-19 than a black person, what makes the virus attack a black persons body more, or does a black persons immune system fight the virus harder and consequently kills them. Somewhere in there maybe the answer.   

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It is an interesting one and i suppose if they can rule out social / lifestyle differences, if there are any, so it comes down to a pure biological difference, then surely the scientists who are trying to develop a vaccine would ask the question why is a white person 4 times less likely to die from covid-19 than a black person, what makes the virus attack a black persons body more, or does a black persons immune system fight the virus harder and consequently kills them. Somewhere in there maybe the answer.   

It was a while ago so I may need correcting but, I read the darker the skin, the more sunlight is needed to keep vitamin d levels stable. 

Mid century immigration showed a lot of symptoms of schizophrenia in patients originally from the Caribbean. This was claimed to be due to vitamin d deficiency due to the obvious change in climate and sunlight exposure. 

If this is true it would also stand correct that immune systems could also be comprised due to lack of sunlight required to keep the vitamin d levels up. 

44 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I work in social care for a local authority in London,    Most of carers or support workers that I have worked with came from BAME community so I suspect that plays a small part.   This may be applicable for other job fields like cleaning as two of three cleaners in my section of the office also came from BAME community.    I also would wager a guess that as these jobs do not pay well,  they may live with their families thus more suspectible to viral tranmissions

or are feeling more pressure to go out to work due to their financial circumstances. However this is from SE London perspective where there is a higher BAME population compared to rest of UK I feel.    

There is also a factor of BAME community being more family orienated especially for Muslims so that could be something else to ponder over.

Edited by The Blur

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

English is my first Language,(though Hardly use it) thats Why the occasional Slip of  caps, or misuse of punctuation on a Football forum doesn't disturbed my understanding of others,in ANY Language...Caps,misspelling, gramatic abhorations...all Fun on Blogs & forums..!!!

I enjoy taking the piss ,out of  expected Flow of English....to many forget how to expand and remain sterile..

Though when on meds,(seriously) 18hrs of the day ,my typing becomes irratic and dylexic...

So deliberate poesie and rhetoric either smoothly rides the waves,or sinks into the  Jabberwocky abyss.....:celebrate:The

Now there's an author..!!

This is better than drugs 

Keep up the good work 

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I work in social care for a local authority in London,    Most of carers or support workers that I have worked with came from BAME community so I suspect that plays a small part.   This may be applicable for other job fields like cleaning as two of three cleaners in my section of the office also came from BAME community.    I also would wager a guess that as these jobs do not pay well,  they may live with their families thus more suspectible to viral tranmissions

or are feeling more pressure to go out to work due to their financial circumstances. However this is from SE London perspective where there is a higher BAME population compared to rest of UK I feel.    

There is also a factor of BAME community being more family orienated especially for Muslims so that could be something else to ponder over.

Yeah some good points I also think that urban v rural areas will have an impact and skew the figures somewhat. Especially when two of the worst effected areas have been Birmingham and London very high bame populations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

The only thing I will say to this is that I think most people have circumstances that they could apply to break the rules. My other half hasn't seen his 2 young children since March. We're not expecting to see them this month either. It's not ideal, in fact it's pretty heartbreaking, but we're still willing to follow the rules. If we didn't, and everyone took the same view, the whole lockdown has been pointless. 

The rules allow for kids to see both parents no?

Edit: read later posts.  That is hard.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Thanks 1

Guest Fktf
2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the report I saw said they had retested three times 

"Other experts said the results were interesting, but hardly conclusive.

Jonathan Ball, a professor of molecular virology at the University of Nottingham, said it was possible the results were due to lab contamination.

“If he was infected (with COVID-19), then you would expect a more rapid and earlier spread of the virus in France than was seen,” he said in a statement. 

Sequencing any virus in the sample might give you insight into whether or not the virus truly was an early isolate or likely contamination, but it looks from the data that the amount of virus in the sample was low, so would be difficult to analyse further,” he said."

But who knows.. There's a group at Oxford modelling this like it has been around longer than we have known, and that early French case would be in line with the assumptions the Oxford group are making. 

Edited by Fktf

Beth rigby thinks we can’t understand the difference between now and Monday ....... she thinks we can’t work out that if the govt says it’s ok to go out and sunbathe ahead of a BH weekend, it’s massively different to saying it on Sunday evening (when it’s turned cold anyway) 

god help us .........

and it’s not the govt advice anyway ..... it’s the papers releasing that ‘info’ for clicks .......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its a mistake.

Not relaxing the rules, but even suggesting it is time to relax the lockdown will weaken plenty of resolve.

Was a bloody stupid thing to do without having a forum to explain what it will become and why.

Does not even matter now if the lockdown remains the same on Sunday. Utterly ridiculous, almost Trumpesque.

I'm not sure i follow.
For the past 3 weeks the media, et al have been asking for an unlock procedure & to my knowledge all that has been stated by members of COBR team is that the PM will announce the next statement on Sunday, when it was due as end of the 2nd block of lockdown & what ever restrictions are lifted, if any, are done so under the guidance of the science & they are lifted with caution & i'm sure will come with caveats if mistreated or have i missed some announcement. Any rumour of widespread relaxation is being fed by the media to my knowledge.

He's trying to manage everyone of us & as no 2 people are the same no matter what is said it will affect people in different ways, some need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel & a slight relaxation of say being able to go out twice a day or for longer once a day is a small victory to those where as others want the door firmly bolted.
I'm fortunate not to suffer mental health issues be it depression, anxiety or what ever but for those that do it must be hell, i think of that 17yr old girl that took her own life just days after the 1st 3weeks was announced, her father saying a potential 3mth lockdown to her felt like 3yrs & she just couldn't cope, the same for a 15yr old lad feeling isolated from the world, again within days of the lockdown & theres still another young lad missing as he was missing his girlfriend to much he took off & hasn't been seen since, & he's not with her, there must be loads more.

People have flouted the rules from the start & no matter what is said on Sunday these people will still do so & many more for a myriad of reasons but at some point we need to start to unlock or atleast talk bout it & not for those 'give in inch they'll take a mile' types but for those that need to see there will be an end to this if we abide the advise.

16 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

No doubt this government has fvcked up but the thought of Corbyn and Abbott leading the response to this makes me shudder. 

They're history, it really isn't the point or of any relevance anymore. 

29 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

This is better than drugs 

Keep up the good work 

Keep applying yourself to Mr. Fuchs' posts. It's worth the effort. Eventually your mind will warp sufficiently to appreciate the quality of his posts & fantastic wordplays.

I thought he was a native Brit who'd been lost in Germany for a few decades - glad that's confirmed. Why that should affect his punctuation, I'm not so sure.....:D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fktf said:

"Other experts said the results were interesting, but hardly conclusive.

Jonathan Ball, a professor of molecular virology at the University of Nottingham, said it was possible the results were due to lab contamination.

“If he was infected (with COVID-19), then you would expect a more rapid and earlier spread of the virus in France than was seen,” he said in a statement. 

Sequencing any virus in the sample might give you insight into whether or not the virus truly was an early isolate or likely contamination, but it looks from the data that the amount of virus in the sample was low, so would be difficult to analyse further,” he said."

But who knows.. There's a group at Oxford modelling this like it has been around longer than we have known, and that early French case would be in line with the assumptions the Oxford group are making. 

That would mean the contamination occurred at source rather than during the test. 

and I’m still unsure as to how the virus might have mutated and developed post its early stages .......  I guess no one knows 

43 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

English is my first Language,(though Hardly use it) thats Why the occasional Slip of  caps, or misuse of punctuation on a Football forum doesn't disturbed my understanding of others,in ANY Language...Caps,misspelling, gramatic abhorations...all Fun on Blogs & forums..!!!

I enjoy taking the piss ,out of  expected Flow of English....to many forget how to expand and remain sterile..

Though when on meds,(seriously) 18hrs of the day ,my typing becomes irratic and dylexic...

So deliberate poesie and rhetoric either smoothly rides the waves,or sinks into the  Jabberwocky abyss.....:celebrate:The

Now there's an author..!!

I, for one, love your writing style. It's weirdly poetic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m still unsure as to how the virus might have mutated and developed post its early stages .......  I guess no one knows 

Are you meaning as in you're unsure how the virus manages to mutate between now and when it was first identified?

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Is the Sky News correspondent missing a few screws?

How isn't it clear that policies will be changed from Monday, but until then people need to follow the restrictions set out. 

They are all a bunch of prats ...   especially Cvntsberg from the BBC ..   as soon as I see her gormless irritating face I start to growl ..  

• Like 2