Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

The former Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt seemed to understand the urgency and enormity of the impending crisis much sooner than many in government did.

He also did wonders for the NHS didn’t he.

Surely Boris knew about Cummings' breach of lockdown? On the presumption he did (I know Boris was in hospital soon after, but surely he was informed on his return?!), was keeping it under wraps the best option in the hope it was never found out about? Sweep it under the carpet and hope it never sees the light of day... 

Risky though given police knew as it was reported and there were witnesses. 

If he didn't know, it's a bit weird to not be made aware of what your own advisor has been up to, even more so given the kind of breach it was.

Or is that just me? 

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Surely Boris knew about Cummings' breach of lockdown? On the presumption he did (I know Boris was in hospital soon after, but surely he was informed on his return?!), was keeping it under wraps the best option in the hope it was never found out about? Sweep it under the carpet and hope it never sees the light of day... 

Risky though given police knew as it was reported and there were witnesses. 

If he didn't know, it's a bit weird to not be made aware of what your own advisor has been up to, even more so given the kind of breach it was.

Or is that just me? 

That's why I think, regardless if it is true or not, they'll say it was a necessary journey for certain reasons (elderly family, isolation, childcare etc.) So it didn't 'need' to be made public.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

State of this place at times lol

I have no idea why Dominic Cummings did not announce it, or whatever, but maybe he said it was urgent to his boss, and boss believed him?

Maybe he was wrong and will be sacked? 

Did Not vote Tory, but I prefer more balance, this place turns into a left wing conspiracy forum. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dahnsouff

Guest ttfn

If you’re so ill you can’t look after your kids I’m not sure a 250 mile drive is going to do you any favours.

Going to go shockingly off topic and ask a question about coronavirus...

Has anyone on here used or bought an antibody test? Think if I knew the results were more accurate then I'd probably be tempted. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

State of this place at times lol

I have no idea why Dominic Cummings did not announce it, or whatever, but maybe he said it was urgent to his boss, and boss believed him?

Maybe he was wrong and will be sacked? 

Did Not vote Tory, but I prefer more balance, this place turns into a left wing conspiracy forum. :rolleyes:

Soz. Just asking questions. 

This place is definitely not turning in to a leftwing conspiracy forum lol

Not bothered who you or anyone voted for. Just discussing or asking about something fairly important that's happened :thumbup: 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fktf said:

And here you are in St Albans with a commute, rather than living in London :ph34r:

My life in computing didn’t last long and was in derby! (they’re not all Neanderthals btw ......but most are) 

and I couldn't afford the life I have here in London  .......  So yes, I’m stuck with a commute .....  but St Albans is a pretty great place to be. @harpendenfox would way prefer to live in St Albans 😉

onto more pressing matters ...... do those wearing masks feel that they help remind you re social distancing. over the past week or two as it’s got busier out there, I find myself slipping easily into non social distancing scenarios when out and about BUT when I’m wearing a mask or find myself near people wearing masks I’m constantly reminded about our current situation.  I know the behavioural scientists are concerned that wearing masks will make people feel less at risk with potential problems for transmission but my experience is that is that is has stopped me drifting back to the default way of doing things that is simply social reflex. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Has anyone on here used or bought an antibody test? Think if I knew the results were more accurate then I'd probably be tempted. 

I’m tempted but then I keep thinking that what actual difference would it make to me  because I’m sure I had it. I guess if you had v weak symptoms or none at all but knew you’d been in contact with someone who was tested positive then I understand why you might be tempted ....... the abbot or Roche tests are 99% accurate but they aren’t instant. 

within a month or so, we should have had the opportunity to take one on the NHS anyway ....... apparently ........

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is just common sense as well. No conspiracy here. Literally just laying out the situation and the rules. Should clear it up for anyone confused or in the unknown... 

Cummings is surely toast...... he has no way out of this. no different to the randy professor .........

I actually think on balance, he is an asset to the administration (who seem to lack a high degree of intellect at cabinet level) and will retain influence, even if he is no longer directly employed or visible.  

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Soz. Just asking questions. 

This place is definitely not turning in to a leftwing conspiracy forum lol

Not bothered who you or anyone voted for. Just discussing or asking about something fairly important that's happened :thumbup: 

I know @StanSP and was only half in jest, people seem more vocal (not the right word, but hopefully you get my drift) in support or the left, which can tend to make discussion uneven, but that is probably because I have been away for so long, so Have probably lost a reasonable level of expectation with political ideals per Leicester. 

So it serves me rightlol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I know @StanSP and was only half in jest, people seem more vocal (not the right word, but hopefully you get my drift) in support or the left, which can tend to make discussion uneven, but that is probably because I have been away for so long, so Have probably lost a reasonable level of expectation with political ideals per Leicester. 

So it serves me rightlol 

Have you met MattP and Jon The Hat? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He’s certainly not going quietly  ........

The UK prime minister's office has issued a statement saying his chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, did not break any rules when he travelled to his family home even though he was suffering with the virus. Here's the full statement:

"Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for. His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside. At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally."

37 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52762939

“Current estimates are sketchy, and range from around 17% in London to 5% elsewhere in England. That's a huge way off the 65% or thereabouts estimated to be required for herd immunity - IF it turns out that people with antibodies are indeed immune.”

Our resident optimist thinks that more people could be immune than just those with the antibodies

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s certainly not going quietly  ........

The UK prime minister's office has issued a statement saying his chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, did not break any rules when he travelled to his family home even though he was suffering with the virus. Here's the full statement:

"Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for. His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside. At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported. His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally."

So now they're saying police didn't get involved? Someone has to be telling porkies here and maybe it's not the pigs! 

Has Cummings advised the PM on how to respond to it all lol

18 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well maybe, but it sort of veers away from the discussion a bit! lol

Bit in bold :blink:

I’d Let it go Dahnsouff, it would be the same people that would raise a fuss if subject A was tested once and registered as clear but went on to infect 3 others due to a faulty test even thou the testing team suspected the test was faulty.

• Like 1

Whether or not Cummings acted legally, the perception is that he acted wrongly, so if the government is smart (doubtful), then it should deal with him in the way that Catherine Calderwood was dealt with in Scotland. Neil Ferguson did the decent thing and resigned. 

• Like 3

In some ways I'm not arsed, because it's no surprise to me on any level that someone that looks like a c**t and everything you hear about makes him sound like a c**t then acts like one.  But the people I know that have made some BIG sacrifices and endured disruption to their lives I can barely get my head round are, shall we say, less than impressed about this

• Like 1

Guest MattP

From what I've read Cummings should just come out and apologise, he was clearly in a difficult position with his children and he made a snap decision in tricky circumstances that I'm sure he knew would put him in a situation if he was caught.

He's probably within the rules but not within the spirit of the rules.

I'm not going to lie though - the more absolute hysterical outrage he creates from the remainers the more I love him, I can't help it.

Demanding his sacking is a bit daft though, so more overreaction to people making mistakes these days - that goes for guys like Kinnock as well, you shouldn't lose your job for going for a cup of coffee with your parents.

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

For me personally i’d rather not know.I can appreciate those that would like to find out though.Can imagine a few who might end up slightly disappointed by the results.