Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Usually, if you make an 'error', you hold your hands up, accept you made a mistake and make an attempt to move on (i.e. take responsibility for your actions).  

have you ever met a politician 

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

His own wife's account of having the virus is quite telling. From her own article in The Spectator USA:

So, despite the graphic and quite severe form of the virus they both experienced, they were happy to pass that risk on to their family so far away? Interesting.

Although, given the bit in bold, maybe they're just so selfish and self-centred they don't really care who they pass the virus on to if that's their mode of thinking...

Wow, you wouldn't have guessed from that article that they'd gone 250m outside of London to their relatives.  There's no mention of anybody being involved besides her, "Dom" and their son.

Worse than that:

After the uncertainty of the bug itself, we emerged from quarantine into the almost comical uncertainty of London lockdown.

It's almost like she knew that they were going against their own rules and has gone out of her way to make it sound like they were in London the entire time, not carrying the virus hundreds of miles outside of it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

So if you had the virus, or symptoms of it, you could leave the house for childcare? And it wasn't put on any official letter or website?

No, if you're worried you might get sick to the point of being unable to take care of your young child, just don't worry about it and let them take care of themselves. :)

13 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

No, if you're worried you might get sick to the point of being unable to take care of your young child, just don't worry about it and let them take care of themselves. :)

Nobody's questioning the importance of looking after a kid.  The question is whether driving known cases 250 miles across the country to a second home (at a time when we had government guidance specifically telling people who may not even have the virus that they shouldn't travel to their 2nd homes due to the risk of spreading the virus to more communities) was the only possible solution available to them.  And whether it constitutes a breach of trust for our Prime Minister's chief adviser to take actions that contradict the guidelines he demands everyone else follow.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Nobody's questioning the importance of looking after a kid.  The question is whether driving known cases 250 miles across the country to a second home (at a time when we had government guidance specifically telling people who may not even have the virus that they shouldn't travel to their 2nd homes due to the risk of spreading the virus to more communities) was the only possible solution available to them.  And whether it constitutes a breach of trust for our Prime Minister's chief adviser to take actions that contradict the guidelines he demands everyone else follow.

Course it's not the only option, dude has enough money to get anyone to look after his kid. But surely even the biggest haters can have some sympathy, or at the least, a mild understanding, that if you're suffering from a new, potentially fatal virus, you'd want to be near people you trust.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I reckon if I was sick, I'd be calling for my family too.

His wife's account goes into so much detail that the omission of any reference to visiting Durham makes the whole story look like a carefully planned alibi. Surely the rule about staying at home when she had symptoms (and he was almost certainly also infected) was knowingly broken, so they should have made alternative arrangements for transferring their son up north. For all we know, Cummings could have refuelled on route, infected others, and may have unwittingly caused fatalities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Course it's not the only option, dude has enough money to get anyone to look after his kid. But surely even the biggest haters can have some sympathy, or at the least, a mild understanding, that if you're suffering from a new, potentially fatal virus, you'd want to be near people you trust.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I reckon if I was sick, I'd be calling for my family too.

Bit worrying that the Prime Minister's chief adviser doesn't trust a single person in London.

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

but that is literally the whole point. this virus isn’t sympathetic and it doesn’t have understanding or compassion. 

thousands of people have been through terrifying ordeals since lockdown began. deaths, near deaths, funerals, hospitals, all the works. but THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE THEIR FAMILIES. under NO circumstances. people have died alone. people have grieved alone. people are still being treated alone. but dominic cummings needed to travel 250 miles to surround himself with family and we’re meant to be sympathetic? 

fu ck him. 

Wish I could rep this more than once.  Nail on the head.

Seems a silly road to go down for cabinet ministers to accuse people of political point scoring. Obviously some will be politically motivated. Many will just be annoyed: people who had it and as a family all isolated together; people who've seen loved ones die alone from a far not being able to visit; people who haven't been allowed to go to loved one's funerals; people who because of their job have isolated away from their family for months. Many more examples. And all those people will be even more annoyed that cabinet ministers are mentioning political point scoring.

Now the Health Secretary has basically said on Twitter if you think you might be coming down with symptoms (or already have them) it's okay to drive across the country for childcare - I doubt they made it 250 miles without the kid needing the toilet or stopping for petrol - possibly infecting other people. There will be people who are sick of the lockdown who were playing by the rules who will now look for loopholes. Teachers and other people were already worried about going back to work. Will be even harder for them to trust the government. 

I think a large percentage of the country accept this has been a really unique and difficult situation for the government. And whilst mistakes have been made, they've been understanding. But if they don't handle things like this properly they could lose people's support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

He's made an error - the idea he should lose his job is bizarre. Howls of outrage from people who have already expressed a nonstop hatred of the bloke due to his political were totally expected and they also should be totally ignored.

Worth mentioning Hancock’s reaction to Ferguson...asked for police intervention 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth mentioning Hancock’s reaction to Ferguson...asked for police intervention 

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

lol uh oh 

He only made an error though?

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Well his wife’s account doesn’t stack up but then it’s a story in a magazine rather than a piece of factual journalism ......

She gave a similar tale whilst on Radio 4 as well one afternoon. 

35 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm 50/50 on this, but I'm genuinely loving the outrage, I'm not gonna lielol

Personally find it baffling how people are as heartless about the ‘outrage’.

People have been unable to attend funerals of loved ones. I’ve been unable to see my recently widowed Dad whose 50 miles away from me. This isn’t a fidget about test figures. This is the government genuinely taking the piss out of the general public rather than facing up to Cummings ****ing up

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

She gave a similar tale whilst on Radio 4 as well one afternoon. 

Personally find it baffling how people are as heartless about the ‘outrage’.

People have been unable to attend funerals of loved ones. I’ve been unable to see my recently widowed Dad whose 50 miles away from me. This isn’t a fidget about test figures. This is the government genuinely taking the piss out of the general public rather than facing up to Cummings ****ing up

We won't ever know if it was Cummings taking the piss or him genuinely trying to get childcare. I'm pretty certain he could have gotten someone else to take the children though, rather than going himself.

I just think people comparing supposedly getting childcare to the professor getting his end away with a married woman are deliberately being outraged because it's Cummings and/or Tory.

EDIT: I'm just having a read now, so no10 reckon the police didn't speak to him. Also says he didn't mix with them but went to a house near incase they were needed. That would go against the '2nd home' rules, if that rule was in place at the time. Surely he could have gotten someone closer to home to look after the kids somehow.

Sorry about your mum/stepmum too Cardiff.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We won't ever know if it was Cummings taking the piss or him genuinely trying to get childcare. I'm pretty certain he could have gotten someone else to take the children though, rather than going himself.

I just think people comparing supposedly getting childcare to the professor getting his end away with a married woman are deliberately being outraged because it's Cummings and/or Tory.

Or they're both clearly breaches of the lockdown rules and should be treated as such?