Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Went into the doctors for an asthma review today @Alf Bentley and I was removed from severe around ten years ago as that's now only 4-5% of asthmatics who need regular and constant monitoring, as someone who has to just take a steroid inhaler morning and night I don't fall into it anymore.

Would have been nice of them to tell me though lol

I'm happy as I'm still in the "at risk" category, but not the "extreme risk" section.

Yes, would've been nice of them to inform you! Much more in the world operates due to / in spite of incompetence than we'd like to believe.

I have the same status with my heart issue - not one of those deemed to be an extreme risk.....

I see it as good news in an odd way, as nobody is ordering us to self-isolate at home (not that the police would come knocking, I'm sure).

Leaves us to exercise common sense and just avoid significant risk as much as possible.

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I think I meant Holme instead of Wells actually. I'm a massive fan of Sheringham tbh

I miss it. Haven't been in Norfolk since mid February and would love to have enjoyed this weather on the coast. 

16 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

On the debate of people going to beaches I'm a little bit undecided. I'm living in Norfolk where there's a fair few beaches to visit. I wouldn't even contemplate going to Hunstanton, Yarmouth etc. I do feel like I could go to the likes of Sheringham, Wells and Cromer and quite easily adhere to social distancing so I don't really feel like that would be doing any harm. Not saying that I'm going to but can't say I agree with the outrage to those who do similar

I'm not so much outraged at the beach visits although I don't understand why people would want to sit on a crowded beach at the best of times, as you suggest there are plenty of quieter places. I'm more outraged at the mess they leave behind I know this happens in 'normal' times but you'd think people would at least have thought about it a little bit more in the current situation.

I wonder how many of those who just dropped their rubbish went home and clapped the NHS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm not so much outraged at the beach visits although I don't understand why people would want to sit on a crowded beach at the best of times, as you suggest there are plenty of quieter places. I'm more outraged at the mess they leave behind I know this happens in 'normal' times but you'd think people would at least have thought about it a little bit more in the current situation.

I wonder how many of those who just dropped their rubbish went home and clapped the NHS.

Yeah I agree with you 100%. Sadly the people that do things like that just don't give a shit. 

I'm reading on low quality sources online that not only is the COVID-19 Test and Trace app NOT going to be ready for June 1st, but that the Government turned down good-to-go apps made by the likes of Google and Apple in order to grant a £250m contract for its development to a company owned by Dominic Cumming's brother, who was permitted to sit in SAGE meetings and which has subsequently failed to deliver. Does anyone know any more about this?

4 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I'm reading on low quality sources online that not only is the COVID-19 Test and Trace app NOT going to be ready for June 1st, but that the Government turned down good-to-go apps made by the likes of Google and Apple in order to grant a £250m contract for its development to a company owned by Dominic Cumming's brother, who was permitted to sit in SAGE meetings and which has subsequently failed to deliver. Does anyone know any more about this?

I know nothing about it but it sounds awful. 

8 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Are they written in Russian?

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

why?

What I mean is it's coming up on Twitter. I'd sooner ask if anyone has heard more rather than just stating it as true.

I'm perfectly to entitled to read whatever sources I choose as long as I am prepared to analyse the quality and use the information accordingly.

Just now, Bryn said:

What I mean is it's coming up on Twitter. I'd sooner ask if anyone has heard more rather than just stating it as true.

I'm perfectly to entitled to read whatever sources I choose as long as I am prepared to analyse the quality and use the information accordingly.

Of course, never said a word to the contrary. That is a two way street, critique is allowed by all parties.

21 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Certain sections of media reported it three weeks ago including the Guardian 

The latest thing about counting two samples from the same person as two tests...deary me, it’s increasingly like a spoof this debacle 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Certain sections of media reported it three weeks ago including the Guardian 

The latest thing about counting two samples from the same person as two tests...deary me, it’s increasingly like a spoof this debacle 

if someone drinks two pints at the pub does the land lord count that as two pints that have been drunk or one? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Of course they are..a test is a test.

I genuinely can't believe anybody thought they were individual tests haha. They would be saying x amount of people have been tested if thay was the case.

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

And this is exactly my problem. 

Given hysteria and press coverage, the end of days scenario (which this is not) is allowed to play out, and the destructive fear that results wreaks it's havoc. Unnecessarily.

My mother, for instance, wants to know the death figure the moment it's out. It's understandable given the hype and some may argue validity based on a pandemic's potential to grow exponentially. However we know now that that's not going to be the case. She wasn't arsed about flu numbers, cancer numbers, heart disease numbers before this, and why would she be? But she and millions others cannot place a number like 36,000 and truly understand the significance (or insignificance) of that number.

It's like me telling the Mrs. I hit my first golf drive over 300 yards with excitement. The response I'd get is "Is that a lot?" Because there is no grounding or understanding of the number. However rather than asking "is that a lot", the average person in the street reacts with shock, with hysteria, disgust even. For some, perhaps because they think it's the kindest, most human response. For others purely an instinctive reaction to something potentially shocking. Alas I have not yet hit a drive over 300 yards, and people still tweet/speak before asking themselves a question or performing research.

You can't expect people to hear about 'thousands of deaths' and for them to contextualise that, unfortunately. People like me who shrug and say 'it's actually not that many' are called cold. I can understand how I may sound like a monster talking about lost lives so nonchalantly, and you'd never catch a politician talking in this vein because they know it triggers people and causes problems. But they do think it. These are just the facts of the matter. As you say, a similar scale thing happened a couple of years ago and nobody blinked an eye. 

Maybe I'm cynical but I'd wager the lockdown path winning out was more about PR than it was saving lives. I believe our government had the same beliefs as Sweden. Trouble is Brits are more, how can I say, 'Liverpool'. We love to feel outrage. It's a bit of a default setting for us. So really Boris and co didn't have a choice. I'm no Tory but I sympathise.

Of course it 'may' have been 'somewhat' worse without a lockdown 'in the short term', and it's worth saving lives etc etc, but I'm growing tired of how the outcome is being painted as a disaster of our time and how we should forever live in fear. 

The only thing I'm worried about is that at age 28 my generation grew up through a recession. As I (and others my age) now make decent strides in careers, we're about to be slapped back a notch or 5.

It's pretty intangible and difficult to measure but I already get the feeling that 'prosperous' isn't a word I'm going to be associating with life for some time. Fear doesn't mix with growth.

I agree with a lot of this - but it does need context. When it was killing probably 1000 a day at its peak, that's about 2/3 of the average people who would die a day in United Kingdom. That's a hell of a lot (even if the overall figure is not). You can speculate about the economic outcomes and whether it has been the right decision to lock down or whatever, but its easier to defend long term economic deaths from a global economic recession than it is daily deaths of multiple thousands (if the NHS had been allowed to crash) - so I agree somewhat about the PR argument.

The final two points are bang on (and we are the same age so I guess I would feel the same way).

41 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I genuinely can't believe anybody thought they were individual tests haha. They would be saying x amount of people have been tested if thay was the case.

It’s bit like take two blood samples and being tested for the same thing. You call it a blood test.

Government change the goal posts to make their self imposed targets to be delivered. Haven’t a clue why they decided to impose that pressure on them. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

So if there was a chap getting 80 tests a day, unlikely I know, you'd be satisfied as that being part of the statistics? 

Daft point I know, but it illuminates the point. We should be testing a broad sample not repeating the same one. And you well know that.