Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ryan Bennett Joins On Loan

Our lack of ambition will come back to bite us for sure!..in January we had to strengthen to make sure we didn't go off the boil in the second half of the season and to cover injuries and possible suspensions...

So all the business we did was to sign a player on loan who's not good enough to make the starting 11 for Wolves!..

It's really quite unbelievable, no excuses, just shocking forward planning!

And the worse case scenario has happened .. that scenario should have been covered!!

The January window and lack of strengthening has cost us Big Time!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Our lack of ambition will come back to bite us for sure!..in January we had to strengthen to make sure we didn't go off the boil in the second half of the season and to cover injuries and possible suspensions...

So all the business we did was to sign a player on loan who's not good enough to make the starting 11 for Wolves!..

And the worse case scenario has happened .. that scenario should have been covered!!

This sort of statement never really adds up for me. You, I or anyone else have no knowledge whatsoever of who the club did or did not attempt to buy. You can't buy who a club won't sell or who doesn't want to come. Neither is there any point whatsoever in buying yet another player that isn't already better than we've got. 

Are you personally able to name a player that would have significantly improved our first team that was available and who wanted to come?

If not, I suggest your accusation is both unsubstantiated and unfair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

This sort of statement never really adds up for me. You, I or anyone else have no knowledge whatsoever of who the club did or did not attempt to buy. You can't buy who a club won't sell or who doesn't want to come. Neither is there any point whatsoever in buying yet another player that isn't already better than we've got. 

Are you personally able to name a player that would have significantly improved our first team that was available and who wanted to come?

I recall the same sentiment @weller54 makes being used about the January transfer window during the title winning season. 

At that point it was criminal not to get a back up striker - such as the young Nigerian lad we were being linked with who had pace to burn ad was knocking in goals for fun (in the Russian leagues). 

Personally I echo @volpeazzurro’s caution - the January window is very rarely a buyers market.

• Like 1

It wasn’t lack of ambition. The club wanted a defender but first, second and third choice were not available for various reasons. We brought in Bennett to fill a gap. He is not a long term plan. You cannot build a top 6 squad in one window and you do not build a good club, self sufficient by paying over the odds and risking its future. 

• Thanks 1

You don't sign anyone in January without 

A) Them not being wanted by their current club

Or

B) spending an absolute fortune 

We wanted 1st team players, none were available and rightly, at the time, stuck with our 1st 11. 

We got back up and under different circumstances Bennett was only ever going to make the bench and have the odd 15 minute appearance to sure up the defense should the game need that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

You don't sign anyone in January without 

A) Them not being wanted by their current club

Or

B) spending an absolute fortune 

We wanted 1st team players, none were available and rightly, at the time, stuck with our 1st 11. 

We got back up and under different circumstances Bennett was only ever going to make the bench and have the odd 15 minute appearance to sure up the defense should the game need that

Why send Benkovic out on loan then?..

Jeepers, he has to be better than Ryan Bennett!!

The circumstances you mention didn't turn out to be reality did they?

We now face this massive.. winner takes all .. match against Man U with this guy in the starting 11.

God help us!

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

We now face this massive.. winner takes all .. match against Man U with this guy in the starting 11.

God help us!

Because Benkovic has historically questionable fitness.

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

God help us!

Because Benkovic, our player needed game time, Bennett, not our player, we weren't too fussed if he didn't kick a ball for us. It would have been unfair on Benkovic, at his stage of developement, to not get game time. Benkovic may be better but we took the gamble.

Fair enough, the gamble didn't pay off, but no one, absolutely no one, could see how we'd collapse in January. 

As I said before, you don't get anyone in January that is actually wanted by their current club, for a team our size that limits our prospects even further.

If they are wanted by their current club you add a premium to their value to get a transfer done half way through the season, we don't have the kind of money to spend, in January, on a player that would improve our 1st 11. 

Have to say, from what I have seen, he is atrocious. He looks so immobile and clunky.

Having the rejects from a team that are little better than ourselves said enough from the very start. If he cant start for Wolves, he shouldn't be starting for us.

Edited by adejo92

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I see what you are saying... and if course my hind sight is exact... but... and here's the thing... We had benkovic as cover... we were closing in on a cl challenge... but we swapped benkovic for bennett as cover.   So we weakened our cover... and as things turned out it cost us.  Of course there is a universe where we didnt need the cover and so the swap didnt matter and benkovic got good game time.

The lesson is that we should never weaken the depth of our squad.   I didnt think it was a problem in January... but I now believe it was a mistake. If we are in a similar position in some January in the future I would now learn from this

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I see what you are saying... and if course my hind sight is exact... but... and here's the thing... We had benkovic as cover... we were closing in on a cl challenge... but we swapped benkovic for bennett as cover.   So we weakened our cover... and as things turned out it cost us.  Of course there is a universe where we didnt need the cover and so the swap didnt matter and benkovic got good game time.

The lesson is that we should never weaken the depth of our squad.   I didnt think it was a problem in January... but I now believe it was a mistake. If we are in a similar position in some January in the future I would now learn from this

In the one game I saw Benkovic play for us, though he didn't do really badly he wasn't for me up to the job yet, either way, the staff that see him every day are best placed to make that decision. Also, not being fit, he badly needed games at a better level than u23. Bennett on the surface was, with all his experience seemingly decent cover and it's perhaps been surprisingly unfortunate how poor he's actually been. As Benkovic has failed to even cement a place in the Bristol City team, it suggests he'd certainly be no better even if he'd kept fit. The jury's out on what will happen to him. I think if there'd been another viable move forpermanent option the club would have gone for it, they more than anyone would be able to see the potential future financial rewards for what is after all a business. 

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

In the one game I saw Benkovic play for us, though he didn't do really badly he wasn't for me up to the job yet, either way, the staff that see him every day are best placed to make that decision. Also, not being fit, he badly needed games at a better level than u23. Bennett on the surface was, with all his experience seemingly decent cover and it's perhaps been surprisingly unfortunate how poor he's actually been. As Benkovic has failed to even cement a place in the Bristol City team, it suggests he'd certainly be no better even if he'd kept fit. The jury's out on what will happen to him. I think if there'd been another viable move forpermanent option the club would have gone for it, they more than anyone would be able to see the potential future financial rewards for what is after all a business. 

Yes... I was not crazy re benkovic either.. . but Rodgers had him at Celtic so he must know his alpha and his omega.

I have been horrified that a player like bennett could end up being a starter in a top six club.

I guess I am trying to say we were hapless in january.  But when I have made a mistake in life (there have been many) I have at least not repeated them (all.... yet). I wouldn't tamper with our cover... I am especially keen to keep squad players who know that our future is their future

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Because Benkovic, our player needed game time, Bennett, not our player, we weren't too fussed if he didn't kick a ball for us. It would have been unfair on Benkovic, at his stage of developement, to not get game time. Benkovic may be better but we took the gamble.

Fair enough, the gamble didn't pay off, but no one, absolutely no one, could see how we'd collapse in January. 

As I said before, you don't get anyone in January that is actually wanted by their current club, for a team our size that limits our prospects even further.

If they are wanted by their current club you add a premium to their value to get a transfer done half way through the season, we don't have the kind of money to spend, in January, on a player that would improve our 1st 11. 

We're not privy to that information and who was available at that time and for what cost.. West Ham managed to buy Bowen in that window!..

As far as central defenders are concerned, as it's been pointed out perhaps the likes of Benkovic, Elliott or even Sam Hughes should have been given the opportunity as cover?.. can any of them be any worse than RB??

5 hours ago, weller54 said:

So we should've signed a "first choice" defender who wouldn't have played ahead of Evans and Cags

So we should've signed a "first choice" MF who wouldn't have played ahead of Wilf, Youri, Praet etc

So we should've signed a "first choice" striker who wouldn't have played ahead of Vardy

Good luck trying to find players who'd settle for that.

PS Would've brought in Bowen though.

PPS Bennett seemed like a solid back up option along with Wes

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

So we should've signed a "first choice" defender who wouldn't have played ahead of Evans and Cags

So we should've signed a "first choice" MF who wouldn't have played ahead of Wilf, Youri, Praet etc

So we should've signed a "first choice" striker who wouldn't have played ahead of Vardy

In what way is he a solid back up option?

Son sat him.on his arse within 4 mins at White Hart lane. And he showed Kane onto his favoured foot 20 mins later. He was also part of the Bournemouth catastrophe.

As the other poster said above, I'd rather one of our kids played and got sat on his arse than a seasoned pro.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Eh? If you sign someone for the first team, then if they're good enough they play ahead of the incumbents. You wouldn't sign them and tell them they'll have to settle for not playing regardless of how good they are.

We're not privy to that information and who was available at that time and for what cost.. West Ham managed to buy Bowen in that window!..

As far as central defenders are concerned, as it's been pointed out perhaps the likes of Benkovic, Elliott or even Sam Hughes should have been given the opportunity as cover?.. can any of them be any worse than RB??

You're missing the point........

We needed to see Benkovic in action, action that was not available to him in a Leicester City shirt. He needed to play, he wasn't going to play here. So we sent him on loan. That meant we needed cover for our cover. Bennett was brought in to be that cover. I firmly believe that it was never the intention to play Bennett, he was here in case of emergency. Turns out, we hit that emergency. But in another time and place we'd have probably seen Bennett rack up no more than half an hour in a Leicester shirt before being sent back. Meanwhile we've gotten to see Benkovic play to get a fair assessment on him, we wouldn't have had thay if he'd stuck around as "cover" 

If the "5 starts activates a transfer" thing is true then it all points to never actually wanting to play him.

Which part are you struggling with?????

Bennett, on the face of it, seemed like a good back up option. Premier league experience, leader on the pitch, played in a fairly solid defence. Turns out he's pretty awful, but that's the way transfers go. Sometimes you find a gem for £1million who becomes a club legend, or another for 400k who ends up making you £59million profit. Sometimes you pluck a unheard of Chelsea reserves player who goes on to be a club legend. But sometimes they don't work out, you spend clubs record amounts on players who turn out to be donkeys, or a loan move as back up actually ends up playing because there's no one else available and he's awful

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

In what way is he a solid back up option?

Son sat him.on his arse within 4 mins at White Hart lane. And he showed Kane onto his favoured foot 20 mins later. He was also part of the Bournemouth catastrophe.

As the other poster said above, I'd rather one of our kids played and got sat on his arse than a seasoned pro.

play a kid who gets sat on his arse and that affects confidence and development. Bennett has been awful, no hiding from that, but he's not our player so I don't care about his confidence, we'll send him back Monday.

• Like 1